Web design / dev rigs

Soldato
At work I havea i7 work stations

At home I use my 13" rmbp now, I sometimes use it without a monitor but it is nice to have my terminal and Sublime on 1 screen and chrome+firefox on the other.

I would recommend a decent CPU and 8gb of ram, mostly for Dev tools as they tend to take up quiet a bit of ram.

Associate
For web development what you need is a half decent processor, lots of memory and MASSES of monitor space. Triple 22s at a minimum IMO. 1 for DB, 1 for code/design, 1 for preview.

I know I'm dredging up an old post, but I wish someone would tell the bosses here that! (Inadequate processor, barely enough memory, and one monitor...)

Soldato
Work PC is 8GB RAM, i7, SSD etc. laptop. I run VMWare workstation all day every day which runs Server 2012 with IIS etc. installed for testing. Not a bad laptop :)

Soldato
Work PC is 8GB RAM, i7, SSD etc. laptop. I run VMWare workstation all day every day which runs Server 2012 with IIS etc. installed for testing. Not a bad laptop :)

I was doing that for a while, but pretty much just use AWS instances as dev targets these days. Power up whatever VM's I need before starting work and shut them down when done.

Associate
Main Rig:
AMD FX 8350
16GB Ram
HD 7970
250GB SSD Boot
128GB SSD for all my Adobe / Web programs.

Laptop:
I3 350m
8GB Ram
120GB SSD Boot drive / Adobe programs drive
Crap intel on board graphics

The laptop is far from the best but as I am just starting out it does for me.

Associate
Working setup is.. (altho working on a new rig to keep up with gaming/3D rendering)

Macbook pro 15inch with anti-glare screen
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
1GB AMD Radeon HD 6750M
120GB SanDisk SSD + 1TB TOSHIBA HDD (using optibay mod, SDD replaces the disk drive)

Screens I use are the macbook display along with a Dell U2413 Monitor calibrated with a datacolor spyder4pro.

Monitor color reproduction and as much screen space as possible are key, processor just needs to be adequate as html/php/css/js coding doesn't require a ton of system resources. Unless that is if your running a good number of virtual machines for browser compatibility testing etc.

I sometimes use it without a monitor but it is nice to have my terminal and Sublime on 1
Just this alone. Once I found out about Sublime text man did my general workflow speed up, not sure how I lived without multiple cursors and that zoomed out view to scroll.

Last edited:
Associate
Macbook Pro Retina i7, 16GB, GT 750M, 512GB SSD.

In relation to, you only need a text editor, there is more to it than that. If you working with Ruby for example, compiling Gems is much faster on a high end rig. Running Grunt tasks is much faster, SASS compiles quick and if you load up your terminal with plugins, a faster rig will not slow down your workflow.

It depends if you are just working with vanilla CSS and HTML or if you are going with something like AngularJS or the PHP/Ruby on Rails route.

Associate
You won't regret it, although in the times your forced to use programs like dreamweaver etc. you'll feel like you are being thrown back into the stone age.

Being able to do a find and select every instance at once then start typing to replace all the results at once, you'll never go back.

sublimetextcurser.gif

Also be sure to check out package control. With a few shortcuts you can add extra features to sublime and its all opensource so there are a ton of extra's.

Last edited:
Soldato
You won't regret it, although in the times your forced to use programs like dreamweaver etc. you'll feel like you are being thrown back into the stone age.

Being able to do a find and select every instance at once then start typing to replace all the results at once, you'll never go back.

sublimetextcurser.gif

Also be sure to check out package control. With a few shortcuts you can add extra features to sublime and its all opensource so there are a ton of extra's.
Does it do multi select/replace automatically or is there some sort of shortcut you press to activate multi selection mode?

I haven't got round to trying it yet!

Associate
Just hit [CMD] (control on windows) + F and type what you want to find. The hit "Find all" bottom right.

There is a shortcut but only know the mac version of it. So its [CMD] + [F] type your search then hit [CMD] + [CRTL] + [G] to select all of them.

Soldato
Had a play tonight and am really impressed. Definitely going to install at work tomorrow.

Love the snippets set up. Snippets are always something I miss when I'm not in Visual Studio - I'm really liking the way you can set your parameters, default attributes and tab shortcuts!

Definitely my TextPad replacement.

Last edited:
Associate
Sublime is a beautiful thing. Found out about it myself about 6 months ago.

As far as kit goes, I do my work at home on a 2012 MBA, with a 2713H hooked up. I don't use masses of VMs like some so this is more than enough for me.

At work I have a 2010 21.5" iMac with 12GB RAM, and a second 24" display. Nothing amazing but it does the job.

Associate
OP
Im finding what I have does the job OK. Using Visual Studios and MSSQL . bit slow building but nothing drastic.
What I would like to be able to do is have 2 VM one as a server and one as a normal PC just to test out Group Policies and such.

Agree With Sublime really good, dont think i have used it to its full potential yet though

Soldato
13" 2013 MBA i7 8GB RAM 256GB SSD - hooked up to a 16:10 1920x1200 monitor.

Got a Microserver to run as an ESXi box to run a LAMP stack, and a few other things.

Back
Top Bottom