Website critique.

Soldato
Well I can honestly say it looks a damn sight better than the original one!

My main gripe with it at the moment really is the black background, I think a white page works better and looks fresher.

Your menu items need some kind of roll over style.

Logo could probably use a bit of a refresh.

Rounded borders don't work in IE 8 but it's not too bad, they just display with straight egdes instead, however I wouldn't say that made it very consistent between browsers.

Your contact us page needs some kind of captcha unless you want to be spammed by bots.

You should add a Google maps into your Directions page so people can find the place easier.

On the prices page, you've got the width, use it, your table is not filling the width of your body content by some margin, everything looks a bit squashed.

Caporegime
OP
What kind of roll over effect, like a background colour change of the <li>?

Logo as it is, will probably not be included as part of the header graphic.

Google maps and captcha are a given, just need to get round to it. :p

Soldato
Yep background colour change or something, just so it's a bit more obvious you're hovering over it. To be honest I would lose the underlines as well, how many menus do you see on the net where the <li> elements have underlines? answer: not many :p

Soldato
On the prices page, you've got the width, use it, your table is not filling the width of your body content by some margin, everything looks a bit squashed.
I agree with this. I also think that the table needs an external border. It looks a bit weird only having internal borders. It needs a border to frame the table as a whole I think.

What kind of roll over effect, like a background colour change of the <li>?
How about making the li:onhover reverse the current decoration? So black background and white text?

To be honest I would lose the underlines as well, how many menus do you see on the net where the <li> elements have underlines? answer: not many :p
Good point. Isn't the general idea that only links you click on are meant to be underlined?

Soldato
What do you think about the roll over effect? Ok, or do I need to increase the background area?
Looks good but yeah it needs to cover a larger area. You could try and make it the same height as the white background of the menu and a few pixels wider each side of it so you're highlighting a larger area.

Soldato
I like it as it is at the moment (the hover on the navbar)

Would be interesting to see what the site would like look if you changed the content text colour to match the colour of the footer background?

Can't help thinking something is off with the colours, there are 5 distinct colours in the page as far as I can tell where you might be better served sticking with a 3 or 4 colour design?

Soldato
Maybe the rounded corners could be toned down a little for the page borders etc? thought I must admit I like the extra round corners for the menu as it is.
Took me a few seconds to work out what you were on about. Using Opera I didn't see the corners. I had to use Firefox to see them. :(

Just found a link that might help to get rounded corners in the vast majority of browsers, http://jonraasch.com/blog/css-rounded-corners-in-all-browsers.

Code:
.rounded-corners {
     -moz-border-radius: 20px;
    -webkit-border-radius: 20px;
    -khtml-border-radius: 20px;
    border-radius: 20px;
}

JonRaasch.com said:
The first thing you might notice is that we defined the border-radius four times over. This is because current browser implementations aren’t completely refined according to W3C’s recommendations. Since each of the browsers still has its own unique idiosyncrasies, they apply prefixes such as -moz and -webkit.

In our example, -moz-border-radius is for Firefox, -webkit-border-radius is for Chrome/Safari and -khtml-border-radius is for older Konquerer browsers. Finally, the plain, old border-radius is future-proofing for whenever browsers properly support this attribute.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I'm not sure what to do for the background, maybe an image using the opacity effect like this?

test.jpg

Or a more simple pattern with a solid container like this?

test2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd not use an image for the entire background for several reasons. Firstly, if your image is 1280x1024, someone on a huge monitor at 2560x1600 is going to see the background down the sides, which is less than ideal. Secondly, it's quite distracting, and lastly, it'll increase load time.

The first background image you have there seems like a nice image, so why not try to incorporate that into a banner that sits under the navigation, but above the copy of the site.

Soldato
Why not do a black to grey background? Do a 1 px wide by 500px tall GIF and repeat it across the page?

Oh and I think the text in the menu bar needs to come left a bit. If I mouse over the 'Directions' tab, the black highlight box goes over the edge of the white box and you lose the curved corners. Whereas at the other end, there's plenty of space between the corners and the highlight over 'Home'.

Associate
No to background images unless they are plain, manvan.co.uk that kind of background fine but too distracting to use an image. I don't like the plain black background but the last link a massive improvement on the first I looked at. I also prefer ariel or verdana when it comes to text on a web page.

Back
Top Bottom