Weekend work - Ideas please

Soldato
In a bit of a pickle, nothing serious but my savings quota will not be met by my deadline, this is entirely my fault for spending on silly holidays.

Anyway, I just need that little extra per month to tip the scales back in my favor. I hate the idea of falling short so will have to work harder to make it back up.

Any ideas? I'm an experienced techy, so anything with computers would be mince meat. I imagine something like a weekend shop assistant is out of the question due to my current job requiring 40 hours a week.

Just any ideas would be really grateful! It's not entirely necessary but as a result of my slack attitude towards saving, I need to now work harder to make up for it.

tl;dr find a mid 20's full time employed man a weekend job...

Thug
Soldato
Have you got the whole weekend off? If so then there should be a number of part time jobs? Though be careful of burning yourself out and hindering your main job.

Can you not just cut down on expenditure for the short term? Eg live like a monk.

Soldato
Freelance computer hardware/software troubleshooting on the side? Maybe start teaching - 1:1 tuition for the elderly? Can be a little tiresome doing the same thing repeatedly but they do learn and you can make some money for if you time a couple of 1 hour session work with a few clients.

Not sure about tax on top of your work, so be careful how you deal with this.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Any local independent computer places that could do with knowing an "experienced techy" (whatever that means to you)?

Soldato
Have you got the whole weekend off? If so then there should be a number of part time jobs? Though be careful of burning yourself out and hindering your main job.

Can you not just cut down on expenditure for the short term? Eg live like a monk.

Sadly, I have already cut down. I set my self an near unrealistic goal. Which was achievable but stupidly I booked a trip to NY and now Copenhagen next week.

My goal is still doable if I manage to find a £1,000 between now and November lol. This year is going far too fast!

After Copenhagen, I have then got my best mates stag do that I'm organising. And after then, I'm meant to be seeing my dad in Barbados! Which I feel I will have to cancel. Even though he is paying for the flights, but I contract and that time off is money lost :( Alot of money lost!

Soldato
Don't you get charged basic rate on the income from a second job? If so, you might find that the second job is not worth your time, especially if it's low paid work.

AJK

AJK

Associate
... NY ... Copenhagen ... stag do ... Barbados ...

I think your definition of cut down is wrong, to be honest. If you want to save money, cancel one of the above, isn't it that simple?

Why are you so concerned about saving an extra £1000 by November anyway? You don't sound short of money, by the sound of the activities you've got planned!

AJK

AJK

Associate
Don't you get charged basic rate on the income from a second job? If so, you might find that the second job is not worth your time, especially if it's low paid work.

Depends how much you earn in your primary job. If it's over the threshold you'll pay higher rate on your second job, not just basic!

Soldato
I think your definition of cut down is wrong, to be honest. If you want to save money, cancel one of the above, isn't it that simple?

Why are you so concerned about saving an extra £1000 by November anyway? You don't sound short of money, by the sound of the activities you've got planned!

Because my goal will fall short £1,000. And yes, NY and Copenhagen were beyond selfish. I knew I shouldn't have booked them.

I will cancel Barbados. As for the stag do, I can't cancel that.

AJK

AJK

Associate
Because my goal will fall short £1,000. And yes, NY and Copenhagen were beyond selfish. I knew I shouldn't have booked them.

I will cancel Barbados. As for the stag do, I can't cancel that.

I don't get why it's so important to have this extra £1000 in savings. You've used it to book your NY/Copenhagen holiday, right? Doesn't really make sense. So you miss your own personal goal - never mind?

Soldato
I don't get why it's so important to have this extra £1000 in savings. You've used it to book your NY/Copenhagen holiday, right? Doesn't really make sense. So you miss your own personal goal - never mind?

Because missing that goal means what I have planned at the end of the year is hindered slightly.

As for tax, I'm in the higher tax band.

Soldato

Surely you don't need to know WHY he wants it, to give advice? He's not asking for counselling on his life choices after all.

Soldato

You do get charged BR on the second job, but that is no different at all from earning that extra money within your first job - you would still effectively get taxed BR on that too.

So it is always 'worth it' to have a second job, in fact you end up paying less 'tax' overall as you won't pay any NI on the first £148 / week of the second jobs income - whereas you would pay NI if you earned £148 extra in your first job.

Soldato
I could get very badly stung on tax if I work for my self?

Why?

Tax is cumulative and based on your total earnings within the year, so it doesn't matter from what income stream you earn it, your overall tax position will be the same. (Talking in general terms)

Soldato
Ahhhh, really? I was going to jump into a few retail stores on the way home tonight with my CV and see if anything is around.

If that's the case with tax then yay!

Soldato
Ahhhh, really? I was going to jump into a few retail stores on the way home tonight with my CV and see if anything is around.

If that's the case with tax then yay!

One little caveat in your situation. You said you are in the 40% tax band already with your first job.

Then with a 2nd job I imagine they would put you on BR and tax any income at 20% - but you should be paying 40% on it, so at the end of the year you will owe the 20% extra tax on the 2nd income.

But, that is still no different to earning that extra income within your first job, and you still save that bit of NI.