Weight loss diary

Associate
OP
It's been a very busy week - I've not really been tracking calories and my weight has been averaging closer to 244/245.

I did my wife's fully body workout on Tuesday as we were at a new gym and I wanted to try out the various types of machines etc. It was good but I really struggled with leg day on Thursday; I improved on my leg press and goblet squats but when it came to the deadlift I was done.

Time to get serious again! I've got two and a half months until my holiday so I'm going to aim for at least another sixteen pounds.

Associate
OP
On Saturday I hurt my lower back with a new exercise at the gym, at the time it just felt like the usual tightening and soreness I'd feel after a good workout but it got worse over the rest of the day.

On Sunday I woke up and my hips and lower back were wonky, and sitting upright is quite painful - it's improving a little each day but I don't think I'll be going back to the gym for a week or two.

I was on track to losing a couple pounds but that's halted until I recover, I'll continue to eat healthily but I'm not going to eat at a large deficit.

Associate
OP
Thanks! I'm mostly back to normal except for a little discomfort in my lower back, especially if I'm sat down for long periods.

I saw a GP who thinks it was just a muscle spasm rather than anything spine related, they've recommended continuing with cardio until I'm fully recovered so I've been doing at least 10k steps each day and going to the gym for the cardio machines.

Associate
OP
Back down to 243, from initially rising quickly after my injury; some of that is possibly muscle since I've not been training but I've kept my protein intake up and walked 10,000+ steps each day, so hopefully it's mostly fat and water.

I start training with my PT again tomorrow, he's been checking up on my recovery in person in order to work out a new plan if needed.

Associate
OP
I did two workouts over the weekend, in both of them I dropped the weights down a bit to start with and/or did some warmup sets.

I've also removed the exercise which we think caused the injury (single arm row kneeling on a bench) and I'm concentrating on keeping my core engaged and in a stable position. It felt really good to be back moving weights around and despite taking everything to failure for at least the last set, I was able to recover enough between each exercise that I made some decent progress in my reps and form.

Associate
OP
241 averaged for the week, unless things go sideways this should drop down to 240 at least next week.

I've kept up my steps every day, ate at a 500 deficit apart from one day at a slight (250) surplus.

Associate
OP
I did get down to 238 for a couple days but I've averaged just under 240 so I'll leave it at that.

I wanted to make some overnight oats but accidentally made it as if it was porridge, so when I opened the pot in the morning I was presented with cold oat soup! Adding frozen berries then turned this into almost a sorbet consistency, and it ate quite nicely - so I just carried making it like that for the week.

My walking is still going strong with at least 10k steps a day and my training is going quite well, I've got a mini goal of getting to 233 pounds as that'll take me under a BMI of 30 (I know I keep changing my mind about recomp or just cutting but I seem to be progressing with my weights while in a deficit right now so I'll stick with it).

Associate
OP
Thanks! It's definitely been my most successful attempt at losing weight and I think this time it's helped develop habits I'll (hopefully) stick with for life.

Associate
OP
238 for the week, I'm finding that the more I walk the more my bodyweight fluctuates overnight - although I am getting up during the night for a pee. I've hit 236 a couple times this week so if I keep at it I should reach that next week.

Assisted pull-ups are going well, I'm at 69 kg so about 64% of my bodyweight.

Associate
OP
After an unintended week and a half off (family visiting and bringing the lurgy with them) I'm at around 239 - not too bad considering!

I've worked out at home but I'm back at the gym properly this week, 74 kg on the assisted pull-ups.

Associate
OP
So the lurgy turned out to be COVID, I've felt pretty terrible apart from a few days around my last update - walking up steps etc. has felt like a bit of a struggle when previously I'd taken them with ease.

My eating hasn't been great; more ready meals and takeaways in the last two weeks than I've had all year bringing me up to 243.

I'm feeling better but I'm easing back into it, last time I think I jumped back in too quickly which probably made my symptoms worse.

Back
Top Bottom