Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Associate
For the last 2 years I'd given up on soldered boards and I've just been building hotswap keyboards - but I decided to pick up one of the always talked about Bakeneko60's and went with a soldered PCB so I could adjust the layout! It was easy enough then to include 7u space bar, stepped caps, split backspace and split right shift. I've got a few much more expensive boards but honestly this is my absolute favourite to use. The layout is great, the gummy o-ring gives a super nice bounce to the typing experience and the sound/feel is so enjoyable.

I'm terrible at taking pictures so excuse the not so great images.

Bakeneko 60 w/ 30A O-Ring gasket (replacing standard 50-A)
Soldered PCB
Keycaps are GMK Modo 2
Gateron black inks (lubed and filmed)
Cherry Clip-in Stabilizers (clipped, lubed etc.)

TxjXxZ4.jpg

kKQQIRJ.jpg

Soldato
OP
For the last 2 years I'd given up on soldered boards and I've just been building hotswap keyboards - but I decided to pick up one of the always talked about Bakeneko60's and went with a soldered PCB so I could adjust the layout! It was easy enough then to include 7u space bar, stepped caps, split backspace and split right shift. I've got a few much more expensive boards but honestly this is my absolute favourite to use. The layout is great, the gummy o-ring gives a super nice bounce to the typing experience and the sound/feel is so enjoyable.

I'm terrible at taking pictures so excuse the not so great images.

Bakeneko 60 w/ 30A O-Ring gasket (replacing standard 50-A)
Soldered PCB
Keycaps are GMK Modo 2
Gateron black inks (lubed and filmed)
Cherry Clip-in Stabilizers (clipped, lubed etc.)

Really nice looking.

Soldato
OP
I managed to get myself one of the Crimson ones in the first drop last night (would have loved rose as well but that deep red was too enticing). I am super excited by the xxl version they have planned for release in the future but will probably try and pick up a lilac or pink version in the future if I can. Would love to get a Kaze as well as it is a beautiful looking board.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I saw the lilac version built by Alexotos a few weeks back and it is just such a pretty board. Shame it is only being sold via a US vendor but hoping if the funds are there I can purchase one.

I think the xxl version will be in smaller quantities than the normal nrd nest's but I think with the hype around them in the nrd discord they will be a staple in the nest family. I'm not sure how many artisans may people have int he hobby usually but I certainly have enough to fill one of those out.

Associate
I was going to start a thread but this thread seems the perfect place!

I have a Keychron K2 and I'd love to be able to get some good quality custom coloured keys for it. I'd only really want a few select ones and I've always thought I'd just be able to say, find a company which lets you specify a key and a colour, maybe there's a minimum order number, and just order it. But I've never been able to find one that offer this. The best I've found is wasdkeyboards custom keys but you have to buy the entire set!

Does anyone know if a company exists that offers a cheaper route into custom keys? Surely it can't be hard to say have stock of loads of red A keys, Green A keys etc and just let people choose what they want?

Last edited:
Soldato

I have a Keychron K2 and I'd love to be able to get some good quality custom coloured keys for it. I'd only really want a few select ones and I've always thought I'd just be able to say, find a company which lets you specify a key and a colour, maybe there's a minimum order number, and just order it. But I've never been able to find one that offer this. The best I've found is wasdkeyboards custom keys but you have to buy the entire set!

Does anyone know if a company exists that offers a cheaper route into custom keys? Surely it can't be hard to say have stock of loads of red A keys, Green A keys etc and just let people choose what they want?

Wouldn't be economical to do that.

It would be like having a "sweet shop" type keyboard company

Associate
Wouldn't be economical to do that.

It would be like having a "sweet shop" type keyboard company
I know it's been like that for years, but I really would have thought it wasn't now. The amount of custom a company who provides that kind of service, would eventually completely outweigh the initial cost. The amount of new people who would be tempted to get keys alone would pay for it, I would have thought at least. I'm not talking about every colour and shade under the sun either. Just basic primary colours. If it's still not the case then, bah oh well. :(

Soldato
OP

The company you mentioned does offer mod kits. Alternatively you may be worth checking up on etsy or similar more "hobby craft" type areas if you are looking for this level of customization. (also they do offer a print your own theme option but again I think that is a full set.)

Given that most of the big manufacturers have delays of up to 2 years in just producing full key cap sets it really is down to the more niche producers that focus on either clones or one of novelty keys that will be your best bet.

Any affordable kits ?

I mean it depends on what you deem as affordable? OcUK offers a lot of good budget kits but there are loads of vendors out there that offer alternative budget friendly kits. For me if you want a decent "affordable" set then the NicePBT and cannoncap sets are really good value for money but that depends on if you consider their price range (£75 - £80) affordable. Otherwise if you are looking at the more £20 - £50 price range then Akko offer some decent sets (just be careful to check it has ISO support if you are an ISO user)

Soldato
Ideally I'd just want a selector system, choose switches, key caps, keyboard gaskets etc, that'll include everything and I can put it together.
I would want the switches to be lubed though I wouldn't have the patience to open up 105 switches, I'd probably just dunk them in a cereal bowl of oil haha

Soldato
OP
Ideally I'd just want a selector system, choose switches, key caps, keyboard gaskets etc, that'll include everything and I can put it together.
I would want the switches to be lubed though I wouldn't have the patience to open up 105 switches, I'd probably just dunk them in a cereal bowl of oil haha

Ah so you are looking for a full kit, my apologies I thought you meant just keycaps.

If you are looking for a no hassle kit then the MONOKEI Standard Keyboard for £140 - it is ANSI only but for a full TKL set is an absolute bargain in this day and age for a decent entry into the more custom world.

Alternatively if you can get hold of the zoom65 Olivia Dark/Light versions they come with everything you need for a 65% keyboard. (alternatively the Zoom65 Essential Edition is coming but that is just case, pcb, plate - so you would need to get switches and keycaps)

The big mainstream gaming manufacturers are offering more customization but there is just so much choice (and I am sure I have only scratched the surface in my 12 months in the hobby) Plus it would be a giant risk unless said company could manufacturer everything to keep control of costs and ensure supply.

Actually I find lubing switches a great stress relieving task. I just throw on some music or a film to play in the background and just relax into it.

Obviously OcUK does over the GMMK kits but you have to pick the parts yourself.

Soldato
I'd probably want full size I wouldn't want to regret lack of numberpad although for most games tkl would be ok just more in case I do play a game plus it'll be used for office also

Bigger left shift on ANSI is nice but then bigger enter key on iso is desirable. Also \ on left on iso makes sense and I think ansi lacks backspace?

Back
Top Bottom