Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Anyone got any opinions on Linear switches, currently using alpaca v2 and banana splits, prefer the alpaca's for weight, noise and feel. It's to go with a purple frog with FR4.
I'd lke some purple swithces if possible, but will look at anything. Max $1 a switch.

Has anyone tried Lavenders or NK Creams

I have a bag of Lavenders waiting to go into a build. Stock they feel very nice and smooth and have a nice pop to them. I feel they probably need lubing to get the most out of them but I wouldn't be too upset if I left them stock.

I also have some bags of Auralite Linear switches as well again feel good, has a heavier spring compared to the Lavenders and really do need lubing as they are quite loud compared to all my other linears.

Anyone got any opinions on Linear switches, currently using alpaca v2 and banana splits, prefer the alpaca's for weight, noise and feel. It's to go with a purple frog with FR4.
I'd lke some purple swithces if possible, but will look at anything. Max $1 a switch.

Has anyone tried Lavenders or NK Creams

Haven't tried Lavenders yet but I have tried NK Creams.

They were too scratchy at the time they were released and in today's market where there are so many smooth linears there are way too many competitors that are LOADS better. Basically any JWK linear is better now (splits, tangies, lavenders, OP blacks, NK Silks)

Btw, I went through the pain of "breaking them in" and then lubed them and then they were still scratchy and rough as all mighty hell.

If you are looking for the deeper sound signature then Gateron Black Inks would be better. Even then I'd go for lavenders instead. JWK get poo pooed sometimes but they make top tier smooth linears that are worth the money. They are just too good now.

@davetherave2 where did you get your noels from? NicePBT just brought out a licenced version now too.

Yes, Sorry it was NicePBT the ones I got (so many different manufacturers I get them mixed up :p ) I got them went they went on sale a few weeks ago from a UK vendor (not sure I can mention them, they also have one of their other sets GMK Patisserie). Luckily I found out about them via the designers discord server and managed to get a set for me and a friend (so that I can build their first custom board for them). I think there is another round scheduled but not sure when that will be.

Thanks both. Thinking I might buy some Lavenders, Ink Blacks and maybe some Boba LT's and see which I prefer.

As an alternative Linear (not purple but blue) you could try Gateron CJ's they are super smooth stock and don't need to be lubed. I am waiting to put them in a blue themed board at some point in the future.

I'm starting with a beginners build to test all the different types of mods and how to do them properly. I have a Mode65 on order now since im a lot more confident with what im doing compared to before! Plus all the terminology and different parts make a lot more sense to me now and how they affect each other. The mode is so expensive but if i can make this RK61 sound this good im sure the Mode65 will wow me even more with the appropriate layout and the right amount of lube!

Specs:

RK61
Box Inks Lubed
Stock stabs lubed and holee mod with band aid mod for tighter fitness on the plate
EVA Foam layered
Tempest tape mod
Traitors UKIYO-E keycaps

rJEZV7g.mp4

Excuse the echo, my room is very open!

Lovely little board that RK61, nicely put together. Top work.

Nice. I love the EV-01's they are in my work board and they are just the right weight and sound profile that I like. When I started out I ordered 25 different switches of different types to see what I liked as I had only ever experienced Razer switches (green and purple switches)

I think I may get some alpaca's for a future build but not sure yet I already have several bags of switches that I need to use before I order more.

Lovely little board that RK61, nicely put together. Top work.

Thanks mate! I love the way it sounds tbh, its a very nice keyboard despite it being plasticy and abit cheap but for a budget board its really good.

Just ordered the Mode65, think its the last run as they're discontinuing it. Expected fulfillment is April!

That RK61 sounds very satisfying, nice work.
Thanks mate, i do love but since upgraded again after another gem cropped up on the mech market thanks to a few guys on discord!

KBD67 Lite R3
Box inks black
9009 DSA caps
EVA foam case cavity
used all the pcb layers as well including the silicone and back foam.

Had to EVA foam the case it sounded abit hollow without it for some reason.

bDw46WJ.jpg

8nVkVxF.jpg

Thanks mate, i do love but since upgraded again after another gem cropped up on the mech market thanks to a few guys on discord!

KBD67 Lite R3
Box inks black
9009 DSA caps
EVA foam case cavity
used all the pcb layers as well including the silicone and back foam.

Had to EVA foam the case it sounded abit hollow without it for some reason.

Very nice.

I have added to my collection by adding a Vertex Angle (starry colourway) - Also really happy they added ISO support to this again at the 11th hour. Plus a lovely little switch and desk mat sale last week made me add some Alpacas for one of the future builds.

Plus I managed to bag my first Artisan key via a raffle which I am super excited by, as it will match my Noel keycap set and finish that board off nicely.

I'm just getting some new shots of both my keyboards done right now so once they are finished I will upload them to do them justice.

The Mode 65 looks great, what colour and plate have you chosem, any idea on your prefered switches?

Once my Frog turns up I'm tempted by a Mammoth 75.

I was originally going for Blue grey but it sold out before i could get to it. So i ended up with black top, grey bottom for contrast and a brass back. CF plate and the extra foam as well incase i need it in the future. Gonna match it up with Domikeys APES keycaps which are on the way as we speak and already have some Box ink blacks lubed up ready to go in, though im not 100% settled on that yet. Got some alpaca v2's coming as well and just got my hands on some oil kings which im testing out currently. The gb for them mammoth is still active, still got time to consider.

I very nearly bought a Zoom65 tonight from prototypist but missed it by like 5mins lol.

Very nice.

I have added to my collection by adding a Vertex Angle (starry colourway) - Also really happy they added ISO support to this again at the 11th hour. Plus a lovely little switch and desk mat sale last week made me add some Alpacas for one of the future builds.

Plus I managed to bag my first Artisan key via a raffle which I am super excited by, as it will match my Noel keycap set and finish that board off nicely.

I'm just getting some new shots of both my keyboards done right now so once they are finished I will upload them to do them justice.
Ooo how much was the artisan? They are so pricey, its one thing i haven't gotten into yet but maybe in the future, just caught justify it right now.

Ordered my custom cable last night as well to go with the Mode65, going for a black and gold patina on the Lemo adapter with MDCP-X carbon gold braid plus a 6" coil. It's pricey but damn it looks good! Should be here in about a month, does take that long to make due to demand.

Did you get the desk mate from the happy hour sale?

Back
Top Bottom