Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Soldato
Agree with both on the ANSI front, it makes getting good keycap sets easier and less expensive

I use to buy ISO boards when i first got into the hobby and quickly realised how expensive it is for ISO caps since most base sets don't accommodate for UK ISO and more so don't even offer UK ISO. Since then it's been ANSI all the way and i've never looked back.

Soldato
Do you think that the yanks were taking the ****/mick when they called the hash key "the pound sign", and let's put it where the Limey's put *their* pound sign for a laugh :D I am assuming the ansi layout is chiefly a US thing.

Soldato
Do you think that the yanks were taking the ****/mick when they called the hash key "the pound sign", and let's put it where the Limey's put *their* pound sign for a laugh :D I am assuming the ansi layout is chiefly a US thing.

Pretty much this, i think even in Europe they only use ISO but yet most manu's will make it as an add on instead of including it with the base kit.

Associate
I’m still using a G910, but fancy something a bit smaller and comfortable. Tempted by:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £119.99 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

Am I crazy?

Also interested in people's thoughts on this... I have an opportunity to expense some 'WFH' equipment and a KB seems the best option, this has me kinda tempted.

I'm also considering a Wooting Two HE.... I have room for a full size board and it's what I'm used to - Does anyone have 1st hand experience with the analog/hall effect switches (I realise I may not be posting in the right thread as this will lock out the 'custom' options, other than changing the caps :p )?
99% sure I don't want to make the change to US layout, as I'd then need to buy 2 new keyboards as I have separate work/personal use setups

Associate
... took a random punt - NEWMEN GM610;

- Hot swappable so I can have a play (and fall down a deep and expensive rabbithole!)
- Red switches (current Qpad MK85 has cherry reds and I like those)
- wireless, so can connect via BT and free up a USB port on the work laptop
- can see if I can get my head around this ANSI American thingumybob

Was <£30 so can give it away or sell on cheap if I don't like it :D

Associate
... took a random punt - NEWMEN GM610;

- Hot swappable so I can have a play (and fall down a deep and expensive rabbithole!)
- Red switches (current Qpad MK85 has cherry reds and I like those)
- wireless, so can connect via BT and free up a USB port on the work laptop
- can see if I can get my head around this ANSI American thingumybob

Was <£30 so can give it away or sell on cheap if I don't like it :D
I have one- nice little board. Just be aware that it has millmax sockets (the holes the keyswitch electrical pins slot into). This means it's finicky with the pins on some switches, and you might bend a few.

I bought it to experiment with the 65% layout, but it doesn't get too much use- I do too much scripting/coding at work to cope without Function and cursor keys.

Associate
I have one- nice little board. Just be aware that it has millmax sockets (the holes the keyswitch electrical pins slot into). This means it's finicky with the pins on some switches, and you might bend a few.

I bought it to experiment with the 65% layout, but it doesn't get too much use- I do too much scripting/coding at work to cope without Function and cursor keys.
Thanks for the heads up! We'll see whether I get as far as trying other switches, although tempted to just buy a cheap pack of tactiles/clickys (even if only enough for half of it) just because I've only ever used linears.

I think I'll be able to cope for gaming for the most part (althoiugh I do use things like pause/insert as keybinds for e.g. OBS recording and steam overlay), but there are uses where I will definitely miss the extra keys such as occasional video editing.

Should arrive today so I'll report back once I've had some time with it.

Associate
Just grabbed a Zoom98 from PT, which should cover all my work needs :D ...the collection grows
Wow that looks really nice! I like the idea of the 98% layout too, almost all the keys but not as wide :)

My GM610 arrived around 12 hours ago, I've only had a little play with it while working and the build quality/feel has massively surpassed what I wass expecting at that price point.
I am, however, really struggling with the small form factor (lack of arrow keys without toggling the layers is an annoyance), but it also took me a while to find how to type a \ on it (hold alt and press the button above the enter key :( )

So I'm already looking at a Keychron V3 ISO (I think TKL will be enough for me) and a set of (side engraved, purple gradient) keycaps :D that'll come in just £14 over my initial £150 budget... very tempted to order it right now but should probably reflect on it in the cold light of day!

Last edited:
Associate
Wow that looks really nice! I like the idea of the 98% layout too, almost all the keys but not as wide :)

My GM610 arrived around 12 hours ago, I've only had a little play with it while working and the build quality/feel has massively surpassed what I wass expecting at that price point.
I am, however, really struggling with the small form factor (lack of arrow keys without toggling the layers is an annoyance), but it also took me a while to find how to type a \ on it (hold alt and press the button above the enter key :( )

So I'm already looking at a Keychron V3 ISO (I think TKL will be enough for me) and a set of (side engraved, purple gradient) keycaps :D that'll come in just £14 over my initial £150 budget... very tempted to order it right now but should probably reflect on it in the cold light of day!
I bought a keychron k8, it's a nice keyboard but let down only by plate mounted stabilisers, no matter how much they are lubed there is still some tick (in mine at least)

Associate
I think I'm probably less fussy in that regard than most in this thread... my only experience with mechanical boards have been my qpad MK85 (which I still use for work and only stopped using as my main board becuase of the red lighting), Asus Cerberus (which I binned off because it had an issue with duplicating or ignoring inputs on lots of the keys) and the Coolermaster 352 I'm currently using, a budget board which is very light and hollow sounding but I still like it.

@$anch3z - Could you describe what you mean by the 'ticking' in a bit more detail? - I'm imagining that as just being a bit higher pitch than other keys, or is it more like there's an extra contact in the action of it (finding it hard to articulate what I mean here - hopefully you'll get my meaning!)

I'm also still debating whether I'm ready for a TKL (the V3), or should go with the full size V6 - downside being that it's only available with browns at the moment and I've only ever used linears (would create more of an opportunity to experiment I guess ;) but at a cost).

Mainly looking at the keychrons because of the QMK/VIA functionality, but if there's anything else I should be considering in the <£150 range I'd love any suggestions people may have :)

Requirements: ISO-UK, 75% minimum layout, hot-swap preferably (although I'm equally tempted by the wooting for the hall effect switches!), RGB or at a push white/blue backlight

Last edited:
Associate
I'm very happy with my Q series Keychrons, but I've not tried a plastic cased model like the V or K series. For similar money consider the Monsgeek M1- fully aluminium, very moddable and QMK compatible. I really like mine.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm very happy with my Q series Keychrons, but I've not tried a plastic cased model like the V or K series. For similar money consider the Monsgeek M1- fully aluminium, very moddable and QMK compatible. I really like mine.
Thanks for the suggestion... I've found the M1W in the uk and ISO format, I was initially confused as the M1 was more expensive, but then realised that was the HE model (and ANSI), so magnetic switches.

Is the only difference with the M1W vs the bog-standard M1 the fact it supports wireless? Quite tempted as it comes as stock with the side engraved keycaps that I was considering separately (even if not purple :p ) so only works out a few quid more than the keychron with buyinig the caps as well

Associate
I think I'm probably less fussy in that regard than most in this thread... my only experience with mechanical boards have been my qpad MK85 (which I still use for work and only stopped using as my main board becuase of the red lighting), Asus Cerberus (which I binned off because it had an issue with duplicating or ignoring inputs on lots of the keys) and the Coolermaster 352 I'm currently using, a budget board which is very light and hollow sounding but I still like it.

@$anch3z - Could you describe what you mean by the 'ticking' in a bit more detail? - I'm imagining that as just being a bit higher pitch than other keys, or is it more like there's an extra contact in the action of it (finding it hard to articulate what I mean here - hopefully you'll get my meaning!)

I'm also still debating whether I'm ready for a TKL (the V3), or should go with the full size V6 - downside being that it's only available with browns at the moment and I've only ever used linears (would create more of an opportunity to experiment I guess ;) but at a cost).

Mainly looking at the keychrons because of the QMK/VIA functionality, but if there's anything else I should be considering in the <£150 range I'd love any suggestions people may have :)

Requirements: ISO-UK, 75% minimum layout, hot-swap preferably (although I'm equally tempted by the wooting for the hall effect switches!), RGB or at a push white/blue backlight

The ticking is from stabs themselves, they tick slightly even after lubing them, when the space bar is depressed and released. I could have been unlucky or possibly I have been a little to lazy to strip them down and tune them :D

Associate

Ok so after looking in to it a bit more, it appears the M1W doesn't support VIA/QMK (there is a version that does but not the version I've found readily available).... That said, from a review I found, their own cloud driver solution may be good enough (source)

I'm still very much on the fence... in all honesty I probably don't really need a new and fancy keyboard, but there's nothing I strictly need.... I am considering something audio (better mic, interface or maybe just a good set of headphones).

I'm still quite tempted by either the M1W or a keychron, just trying to figure out which would be best for me.... QMK/VIA seems like quite a big plus point.
Then there is still the wooting two HE... the hall effect switches seem like an interesting proposition but I'm not sure whether they'll be all they are cracked up to be (or if games will ever really take full advantage of the tech)

( @Personality+ hope you don't mind me tagging you, noticed you have the 60HE listed in your sig!)

Associate
Ok so after looking in to it a bit more, it appears the M1W doesn't support VIA/QMK (there is a version that does but not the version I've found readily available).... That said, from a review I found, their own cloud driver solution may be good enough (source)

I'm still very much on the fence... in all honesty I probably don't really need a new and fancy keyboard, but there's nothing I strictly need.... I am considering something audio (better mic, interface or maybe just a good set of headphones).

I'm still quite tempted by either the M1W or a keychron, just trying to figure out which would be best for me.... QMK/VIA seems like quite a big plus point.
Then there is still the wooting two HE... the hall effect switches seem like an interesting proposition but I'm not sure whether they'll be all they are cracked up to be (or if games will ever really take full advantage of the tech)

( @Personality+ hope you don't mind me tagging you, noticed you have the 60HE listed in your sig!)

You can't get full access to all normal keys you get on a full keyboard, my only complaint about it, so for me it's just a dedicated keyboard for when I'm playing fps games, as I use a Series X controller for single player style games most of the time.

Everything else about it is pretty much 9/10 :)

I bought it on recommendation from a friend and didn't do my full research. I probably should have got the 80HE for my needs :)

I do like the customisation options in the software though, goes layers deep. So you can do a ton of modifications there.

So as a gaming keyboard, it will tick all the boxes you could ask for in my opinion, but as a day to day keyboard (if that's what you want) I'd say get something else.

I have two keyboards on the go for this reason :D and my own fault for not doing more research before pressing buy, that it doesn't do everything I need to be my sole keyboard.

Associate
You can't get full access to all normal keys you get on a full keyboard, my only complaint about it, so for me it's just a dedicated keyboard for when I'm playing fps games, as I use a Series X controller for single player style games most of the time.

Everything else about it is pretty much 9/10 :)

I bought it on recommendation from a friend and didn't do my full research. I probably should have got the 80HE for my needs :)

I do like the customisation options in the software though, goes layers deep. So you can do a ton of modifications there.

So as a gaming keyboard, it will tick all the boxes you could ask for in my opinion, but as a day to day keyboard (if that's what you want) I'd say get something else.

I have two keyboards on the go for this reason :D and my own fault for not doing more research before pressing buy, that it doesn't do everything I need to be my sole keyboard.
Cool, thanks for the feedback! - I've already bought a cheap 60/65% and agree that it's not for me - The model I've been eyeing is the Wooting Two HE (a full size layout!) - So was more just curious about the switches more than anything - Is the adjustable actuation height that useful? - If not then I might get more enjoyment out of something that is hot-swappable

Good software is also reassuring :)

I've also been looking at 75/80 (TKL) options, but definietly don't want to go smaller than that

Associate
Cool, thanks for the feedback! - I've already bought a cheap 60/65% and agree that it's not for me - The model I've been eyeing is the Wooting Two HE (a full size layout!) - So was more just curious about the switches more than anything - Is the adjustable actuation height that useful? - If not then I might get more enjoyment out of something that is hot-swappable

Good software is also reassuring :)

I've also been looking at 75/80 (TKL) options, but definietly don't want to go smaller than that

Yes the adjustable actuation is very useful, been using it from the get go, for the main keys I need for instant response in game :) they're crazy sensitive if you want them to be :)

I personally found my mouse was the bigger upgrade, but at least you're maximising performance in all areas no matter how subtle.

I think the Mod tap is also a big deal for certain scenarios, dependent on what games you play, but I haven't gone that deep into the settings yet, as I'm getting to grips with games I'm still learning the mechanics of.

Associate
YMMV but I'd rather have QMK compatibility than wireless. In fact I can't remember the last time I used any of my keyboards wirelessly. When I'm using a keyboard, by definition I'm close enough to a computer to cable it. The exception being the rare occasions I need to type something on my media center Raspberry Pi, which I have a compact dedicated Bluetooth keyboard for.

Back
Top Bottom