Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Associate
Yes the adjustable actuation is very useful, been using it from the get go, for the main keys I need for instant response in game :) they're crazy sensitive if you want them to be :)

I personally found my mouse was the bigger upgrade, but at least you're maximising performance in all areas no matter how subtle.

I think the Mod tap is also a big deal for certain scenarios, dependent on what games you play, but I haven't gone that deep into the settings yet, as I'm getting to grips with games I'm still learning the mechanics of.

Cheers, had a little play with the online demo mode of the software and it seems to do everything I'd want :) think I'm leaning this way!

YMMV but I'd rather have QMK compatibility than wireless. In fact I can't remember the last time I used any of my keyboards wirelessly. When I'm using a keyboard, by definition I'm close enough to a computer to cable it. The exception being the rare occasions I need to type something on my media center Raspberry Pi, which I have a compact dedicated Bluetooth keyboard for.

Yeah absolutely would rather have the QMK than wireless :) it's just that from what I've seen the only one that supports QMK is a specific version of the M1W - I can't see the non-wireless M1 available in UK (either layout or postage wise!). There is the M1 HE (hall effect), but again doesn't have QMK (as I assume they don't have support for the mag/HE switches)... and appears to be ANSI only :(

I have a logitech k400 that I use when not at my desk (typing this from it)... If anything I'd prefer not to have the option of wireless/BT, as I'd assume if I kept it plugged in 99% of the time that it'd kill the battery!

If I could build a wireless custom KB with a trackpad, that may turn my head :D but doesn't seem to be many pre-made options out there so that'd be a much bigger project (i.e. fully custom build with an audrino nano or something along those lines...maybe one day!)

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Wooting, just for the HE tech, regardless of the plastic chassis (although the M1 is gorgeous)

Soldato
OP
Well it has been a while since I last posted wow where did the time go. A lot has happened in my little keeb collection and it seems to be growing every month. I have a problem lol.

I have so much to catch up on and see what other lovely rectangles people have acquired since my prolonged absence.

Associate
Yeah I think I'm developing a bit of a habit already.... Had a little play tonight on the cheapo GM610 (60/65%) and apart from the layout I really like it, the feel and sound are really nice for the price point.

So much so that I've been looking at the GM326 (75%) tonight and seriously considering ordering one as they are very cheap at the moment... common sense and man-maths is kicking in though so I'm also thinking of going straight to the end-game and picking up an Akko MOD007B-HE: 75% Alu shell like the Monsgeek M1 (almost identical as far as I can tell!) and available in ISO with Hall-Effect switches... It's at the top end of what I was budgeting but probably better to just dive in than buy several more cheap boards to 'try out' before I commit.

Does someone need to set up a 'keebs anonymous' group? :p

Associate
Yeah I think I'm developing a bit of a habit already.... Had a little play tonight on the cheapo GM610 (60/65%) and apart from the layout I really like it, the feel and sound are really nice for the price point.

So much so that I've been looking at the GM326 (75%) tonight and seriously considering ordering one as they are very cheap at the moment... common sense and man-maths is kicking in though so I'm also thinking of going straight to the end-game and picking up an Akko MOD007B-HE: 75% Alu shell like the Monsgeek M1 (almost identical as far as I can tell!) and available in ISO with Hall-Effect switches... It's at the top end of what I was budgeting but probably better to just dive in than buy several more cheap boards to 'try out' before I commit.

Does someone need to set up a 'keebs anonymous' group? :p

I saw somewhere that those generic Hall-Effect switches have quite high latency. I think it was an optimumtech video.

Associate
I might be missing the point, but as a die hard "bottom out" typist and gamer, outside of the potential for smoothness I've never seen the attraction of hall effect keyboards. I guess for competitive gaming it makes sense though.

I'd honestly mess around with conventional switches in different styles before going balls deep in Hall Effect. If you're anything like me your tastes will change- I started out much preferring heavy tactiles but I've recently come to appreciate a nice linear.

Associate
I might be missing the point, but as a die hard "bottom out" typist and gamer, outside of the potential for smoothness I've never seen the attraction of hall effect keyboards. I guess for competitive gaming it makes sense though.
This is the only reason why I have a Wooting. I use a different board for work / every day use and the wooting for gaming.

Associate

I'd honestly mess around with conventional switches in different styles before going balls deep in Hall Effect. If you're anything like me your tastes will change- I started out much preferring heavy tactiles but I've recently come to appreciate a nice linear.
Yeah I have no problem with bottoming out the keys in either use case, I think the benefit would be the lift-off/reset sensitivity.... Also it just sounds like really cool tech, but I should probably wait for some games I play to introduce proper support for it (i.e. analog inputs).

I've only ever had linear boards, would like to try out other switches at some point.

In all honesty I'm already happy enough with the cheaper boards I have for gaming and my trusty old QPAD is great for my work needs, I just know there is 'better' out there :D
Maybe I should be looking at a cheaper customisable board and spend the rest of the budget on something else like better headphones... idk really, if it wasn't for the work contribution I'd probably just stick with what I have, but seems like a waste not to use it on something!

Edit: Ooooff.. just as I say that, there are some good discounts on various Epomaker models, but only for the next couple of hours :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I fell down the keyboard rabbit hole once again...

<snip>

Gorgeous pic's <3

The navi is a lovely FRLTKL I just couldn't bring myself to get it, with them taking out the middle cluster for the badge and screen placement. I think this is where the neo70 and the cycle7 have really shined in that respect for me.

But having used the Matrix Faukwaa for the last month or so I am finding myself loving the Alice/Ergo style layout a lot even though it isn't my usual beloved ISO layout. It really how bad my typing is and has forced a little correction in how I type which has been an interesting insight into me thinking I was fairly decent, I'm not going to wow on speed typing tests but I can touch type for the most part without thinking too hard.

I'll need to go through the recent pic's I've taken of boards and artisans and share the updates with you lovely folks.

Associate
Does anyone know if Keychron will be doing a fully built Keychron Q1 Max in ISO layout? I really like the keyboard but its only avaliable in barebones as ISO.

A barebones kit does it just require you to add switches and keycaps? or is there more to it?

Man of Honour
Does anyone know if Keychron will be doing a fully built Keychron Q1 Max in ISO layout? I really like the keyboard but its only avaliable in barebones as ISO.

A barebones kit does it just require you to add switches and keycaps? or is there more to it?
Just switches and keycaps.
Usually with 'barebones' you would need to supply the stabilisers also, but Keychron supply the stabilisers already installed.

Associate
Having spent a bit more time with the GM610 tonight I've come to the conclusion that it's mostly the stabs that I'm quite impressed with - the spacebar especially, but also the shift/enter keys are very well damped/quite quiet.

I'm leaning more back towards a non-HE board at this point... the DIY ISO QMK Monsgeek M1 is still in stock <somewhere> with 2 packs of 45 switches (of my choice I think) included, with enough left in the budget for a decent set of ISO caps..... :D (edit: but currently only avaiable in purple :/ )
I've been watching faaaar too many KB vids (mainly Hipyo tech), which is pulling me back in the direction of something more customisable

Last edited:
Soldato
Spruced up my GMMK Pro recently. Got the brass plate, Did the PCB masking tape mod with 4 layers, Replaced the stock stabs with Glorious' newer v2's which I lubed and then bought some IQUNIX Moonstone Turbo linear switches which are self lubing due to the material they're made from and have a very fast actuation, And some white PBT keycaps also from Glorious. Sounds so nice.

Last edited:
Associate
I quite like the idea of a custom build but have absolutely no idea where to start - can anyone recommend a decent full-sized base and some switches similar to cherry red (or just cherry red!)

Associate
I finally stopped ovrthinking it and ordered:

- Monsgeek M1 QMK (ISO, purple)
- Akko x TTC Demon switches (free with the board!)
- Cheap set of grey/purple caps from elsewhere

Hoping it will arrive next week, we shall see :)

Associate
I don't know if the Demons were the best choice (was basically any in-stock Akko switch), but they're linear, were the most expensive ones and seemed to be designed to support good RGB funtion... :D

As another question (because I'm cheap!) - I have an old mech keyboard which isn't hot-swap (Asus Cerberus), if I can be arsed to get the soldering iron out, can I de-solder the switches from that and use them in a hot-swap board?! (stopped using it because it had some bad input chatter, but not sure if that was the switches or PCB/firmware!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom