US: Westworld

Associate
What makes you think she's not one of the earlier versions?

Because at the end of episode three, before Dolores shoots Rebus and escapes the barn she glitches to a memory of the MiB. Then, having escaped, she rides off and encounters Logan and William. For the theory that this is an older timeline to work, how could she have a memory of the MiB as an older man? I know the previous timeline idea is quite popular, but there do seem to be some large holes that need explaining!

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Because at the end of episode three, before Dolores shoots Rebus and escapes the barn she glitches to a memory of the MiB. Then, having escaped, she rides off and encounters Logan and William. For the theory that this is an older timeline to work, how could she have a memory of the MiB as an older man? I know the previous timeline idea is quite popular, but there do seem to be some large holes that need explaining!

This is where they lost you. They made it look like she rides off and encounters Logan and William. She does ride off (in the later timeline), but when you see her stumble out of the woods and pass out in Logan's arms, it's a different, prior timeline. As simple as that?

Caporegime
The thing that would bother me with the alternate timelines and William being the MIB is that they look nothing like each other and William is already what, 30? He is hardly going to look like a completely different person when he is 55 or so.

The most interesting part of that episode was when the "butchers" were talking and the ginger one said to Felix something like "I'm surprised they didn't catch that personality trait in the embryo " . I can't remember the exact quote.

Last edited:
Soldato
The most interesting part of that episode was when the "butchers" were talking and the ginger one said to Felix something like "I'm surprised they didn't catch that personality trait in the embryo " . I can't remember the exact quote.

I didn't think it was embryo. I thought it was more along the lines of recruitment process, but could be wrong. I've just deleted it too... could have checked.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
The thing that would bother me with the alternate timelines and William being the MIB is that they look nothing like each other and William is already what, 30? He is hardly going to look like a completely different person when he is 55 or so.

I don't think it's that bad and far off (in terms of what can be achieved without going into heavy CGI) - they have the same hair and eye colour, beauty mark on the same cheek, roughly the same jawline. We've had worse in movies.

william_mib.jpg

Plus, if they were too similar or worse yet - played by the same actor you would immediately know the "twist" - and that wouldn't be as much fun?

Soldato
I didn't think it was embryo. I thought it was more along the lines of recruitment process, but could be wrong. I've just deleted it too... could have checked.

Found it. Something like "Jesus, how the hell did you get this job if you're scared ****less of these things? Personality testing should have weeded you out in the embryo"

Interesting. But 'get this job'? Does that mean he applied like a human, or they sort hosts into different areas?

Soldato
I'm quite liking this so far. I just hope they manage to tie up the numerous hanging plot points that currently exist (and are still being introduced..)

Regarding the ongoing dual time-line theory; If we are indeed seeing the story being played out 30 years prior to the scenes with the MIB, then why is it that the hosts are not visibly inferior to those we see in the supposed future time-line? The failings of the earlier models (in specific, the way they move) was clearly mentioned in a previous episode, by Hopkins character.

On another note. The most interesting part of this episode in my opinion, was when one of the technicians mentioned using VR for his own entertainment. Although this wasn't fully explained, it lends credence to my belief that the "dream" sequences in which Hopkins character (and others) talk to the hosts is occasionally carried out within some form of VR construct, probably to avoid disrupting the clients activites.

Soldato
Just like in a computer game. Sweetwater is your basic entry level, a safe-ish space for learning the rules. Once you get some experience (level up) you move on to places like Pariah where NPC's are much tougher/fight harder.

that all seems a bit pointless though if the player can't be killed. you might get a bit of a punching it seems but that's hardly levelling the playing field.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Just caught up with this, I'm really enjoying it so far. The YouTube video sort of confirms what I have been thinking of what's been happening.

Associate
that all seems a bit pointless though if the player can't be killed. you might get a bit of a punching it seems but that's hardly levelling the playing field.

People can, and have, died in Westworld. Part of the promo for the show was the release of the 'Delos Terms & Conditions'. You can find it on reddit here - https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/560gz8/westworlds_full_terms_of_service_explains_how/

It specifically states that loss of life has happened in the park. It also contains a piece on the safety features of the guns/ammo:

(c) All weapons and equipment used within Delos parks are the exclusive property of Delos, Inc. Gun ammunition contains proprietary safeguards related to bullet velocity, and tampering with gun safety features or ammunition automatically transfers liability to you and absolves Delos, Inc. of any injury or death that may occur as a result.

In regards to the MiB:
From the few clues here and there in the script, I think he's terminally ill and intends to die in the park. I believe he thinks the 'centre of the maze' will allow him to enter a game scenario which will remove all safeguards from the game and allow him to go out in style - him vs westworld with no gun/ammo tech to help him.

Caporegime
Urgh, I hate fan theories. I've no doubt that whatever people are coming up with will be wrong.

I always think back to all the nonsense people came up with to explain what happened in Matrix Reloaded before Revolutions came out. It was utter drivel and, of course, all wrong. People love to overthink these things.

Back
Top Bottom