US: Westworld

Soldato
The more i think about it, the more everything annoyed me about this season.

The main thing, was the security clean up operation. This is the future with near realistic replications of humans, but they send a bunch of average soldiers with p90's to go in and sort it out?

The "Panini sticker card" bit got me. Years in the future and the best they can do to identify the host/customer was a pile of cads with their faces on. LOL.

Plus they need to ease up with the split time lines a bit. Feels like it's just been chopped up in a effort to make the story more interesting. It works to a point, but has just become irritating now.

Soldato
I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first series. It was tiring to follow properly and became a bit of a chore to watch at times. Hope they keep the third series lineal without all the stupid alternating timelines.

Hey it works for The Walking Dead.....................oh wait.

I don't mind the time jumps, just they were a little too frequent and i sometimes lost track of which stream we were watching. When used properly, it has a great effect ie the final episode after credit - wow!

Also, average soldiers? They sent in their SF equivalent ie PMC/Mercs. If you suspended belief, then that would be everything went according to plan; no military plan survives first contact. EMP? Well that wipe out the humans HQ and technology, EMPs are not precise strike weapons. However, a portable archway, like a security metal detector would not be beyond the realms of possibility ie everyone walks through it before boarding the escape planes - it would be simple to distinguish human vs host.

Soldato
Not bothered watching the finale yet. Wife and I just not that fussed with it.

Are they going to milk another series out of it?

Oh please do not let this turn into another Walking Dead hate thread. Yes, there will be a S3, doesn't mean you have to watch it. I personnaly found it a great S1 & 2, decent budget, decent acting, decent story and something different to some of the routine/reboot crap we are currently being subjected too (but then again i enjoy Star Trek: Discovery, Walking Dead etc, so what do i know?!)

Caporegime
Also, average soldiers?

Yes, they were terrible.

EMP? Well that wipe out the humans HQ and technology, EMPs are not precise strike weapons.

Not at the moment, but to think that with the technology advancement shown in this show, that there isn't a way to disable those electronic brains swiftly and cleanly and that the only way to combat them is with a few small squads of blokes with p90's is silly.

Seriously what happened to drone technology? What happened to helicopters? etc. We have AI that is becoming "awake" , have not only built faithful mechanical replications of humans but progressed from that to actual biological replications, yet an autonomous military drone that could make swift work of hosts using wild west gun replicas has not been developed?

They literally sent a load of men to their death for no reason. The "assault" on that fort thing was ludicrous.

Also, they made a big thing about Clementine using Maeve's network connection thing to kill all the hosts by making them fight each other. Yet the same could have been achieved with a simple armoured drone with a machine gun.

The dissonance between this is too much for my liking.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I imagine a drone might be easily shot out of the air for being obvious, clementine elicits an "emotional" response in the hosts, she'd get close enough to do the damage. That isn't really the big issue, the issue is the fact that mesh network would have done the job at the first person in the queue while it spread. So it was more theatrical than realistic, which you can expect from this sort of show.

It's all about the supposed cerebral experience...

Regardless now that the proverbial tutorial is out of the way, the show can finally move along a bit, not sure how they'll make it entertaining though?

Oh and regarding EMP's, maybe they're banned or they simply didn't want the chance of destroying the forge by accident.

Caporegime
I imagine a drone might be easily shot out of the air for being obvious

All they have are replica mid to late 1800's weapons. The hosts had pretty much zero anti-air or anti-armour capability. With the supposed technological advancement we see, I simply can't see how there was not a military drone capable of sorting out all the hosts immediately with no human loss of life.

What i am getting it, is that i felt through the whole of season 2, that we were just watching action/gun battles simply for the sake of it.

There was no need for any of it all.

Caporegime
All they have are replica mid to late 1800's weapons. The hosts had pretty much zero anti-air or anti-armour capability. With the supposed technological advancement we see, I simply can't see how there was not a military drone capable of sorting out all the hosts immediately with no human loss of life.

What i am getting it, is that i felt through the whole of season 2, that we were just watching action/gun battles simply for the sake of it.

There was no need for any of it all.

I highly doubt the Chinese would just allow a bunch of mercenaries to own their own airforce.

Soldato
If we are going down to this level, then why not just have a kill switch incorporated into all hosts, then there is the argument that hosts/Maeve rewrties the code - i'm just enjoying the story and am along for teh ride.

A couple of things:

Did not like: Maeve and her raising her hand to stop the killing, smacks very much of The Matrix when stopping the bullets mid-air - she is the One!

Stubbs: I know there are articles confirming this, however, that aside. Stubb's speech to Maeve, he ha sbeen here since the begining, one of Fords original hires. As the park has been going for 30 years, Stubbs is a host? It makes sense as Ford would want loyal employees around him. Great angle, however, everyone seems to be getting revealed as a host at some point and another.

Oh and OMG, they killed Teddy (South Park reference).

Caporegime
I highly doubt the Chinese would just allow a bunch of mercenaries to own their own airforce.

It doesn't have to be an airforce. It doesn't even have to be airborne though really. Just some sort of autonomous (or even manned) armoured drone .

Some men running around with P90's and a couple of buggy's thrown in just simply doesn't fit with the world they created.

Caporegime
It doesn't have to be an airforce. It doesn't even have to be airborne though really. Just some sort of autonomous (or even manned) armoured airborne drone .

Some men running around with P90's and a couple of buggy's thrown in just simply doesn't fit with the world they created.

Maybe because Ford disallowed it, considering his cover up of Arnold's death that no one else seems to remember, it's feasible. Though also because no one thought they'd have to deal with a rebellion in the first place... so why bother expending money?

The P90 grunts were still sad, but that's probably on purpose, corporate security being crap is a trope i believe, especially in sci-fi.

The only person who saw through it was Logan, Arnold actively pursued it and Ford took 30 years to realise, everyone else was blinkered.

Caporegime
Maybe because Ford disallowed it, considering his cover up of Arnold's death that no one else seems to remember, it's feasible. Though also because no one thought they'd have to deal with a rebellion in the first place... so why bother expending money?

It seems that Delos was able to overrule Ford though, business wise. Also, I would have thought a couple of decent security drones would be cheaper than a load of human cannon fodder.

The P90 grunts were still sad, but that's probably on purpose, corporate security being crap is a trope i believe, especially in sci-fi.

True, this sort of thing is common in sci fi, it just really bothered me though and felt completely out of place in this. I just expected more from it as season 1 came across as quite clever. It is literally a show about how they have created this amazing autonomous AI, yet they have nothing of the sort when it comes to security?

I mean, they had nothing armoured either and nothing impressive or new weapon wise. Conveniently the buggy's were just open air as well. If the security had anything that actually fit with the timeline, the hosts wouldn't stand a chance and that is what made it all a bit silly for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ford and Arnold were visionaries, not security experts. And as we know when contracts go out it is usually to the lowest bidder :). I agree the soldiers were not the elite unit they could have been, but nor were they Star Trek Red Shirt fodder. If we had gone with your drone/EMP attack scenario, then we probably wouldn't have a S3 - just go with it...........................:)

Caporegime
Ford and Arnold were visionaries, not security experts. And as we know when contracts go out it is usually to the lowest bidder :). I agree the soldiers were not the elite unit they could have been, but nor were they Star Trek Red Shirt fodder. If we had gone with your drone/EMP attack scenario, then we probably wouldn't have a S3 - just go with it...........................:)

Ford and Arnold were the creators not the owners so they would have quite rightly had nothing to do with security.

I know bad sci-fi is often like this, but I like things to be at least slightly plausible/believable.

Season 2 was just far too full of 'deus ex machina'.

Just too many things happening and people doing things simply for the sake of the plot and not grounded in anything that would likely happen or anything anyone would likely do.

Soldato
Yes, they were terrible.

Not at the moment, but to think that with the technology advancement shown in this show, that there isn't a way to disable those electronic brains swiftly and cleanly and that the only way to combat them is with a few small squads of blokes with p90's is silly.

Seriously what happened to drone technology? What happened to helicopters? etc. We have AI that is becoming "awake" , have not only built faithful mechanical replications of humans but progressed from that to actual biological replications, yet an autonomous military drone that could make swift work of hosts using wild west gun replicas has not been developed?

They literally sent a load of men to their death for no reason. The "assault" on that fort thing was ludicrous.

Also, they made a big thing about Clementine using Maeve's network connection thing to kill all the hosts by making them fight each other. Yet the same could have been achieved with a simple armoured drone with a machine gun.

The dissonance between this is too much for my liking.

I agree with the military tactics being hilarious,especially since they are near enough China with the PLA about who would be aware of what is happening. In fact a couple of attack drones,with missiles would have taken out the large masses of hosts.

Even have drones to give back live feeds to track their movements??

Where were the helicopters,RPGs,LMGs,close support or even the use mines for perimeters??

Even the P90 is a personal defence weapon made for use at close quarters - if you had a bunch of androids trying to attack you who are stronger,quicker and can take multiple shots,why wouldn't they be using assault shotguns,assault rifles and sniper rifles?? Why no head protection??

I might even understand if during the initial attack there was light security,which got taken unaware of what was happening but if you are dropping in reinforcements,and know the hosts have started killing people,surely you would change tactics??

Why also are hosts allowed to enter the main computing areas of the park??

Last edited:
Caporegime
I agree with the military tactics being hilarious,especially since they are near enough China with the PLA about who would be aware of what is happening. In fact a couple of attack drones,with missiles would have taken out the large masses of hosts.

Even have drones to give back live feeds to track their movements??

Where were the helicopters,RPGs,LMGs,close support or even the use mines for perimeters??

Even the P90 is a personal defence weapon made for use at close quarters - if you had a bunch of androids trying to attack you who are stronger,quicker and can take multiple shots,why wouldn't they be using assault shotguns,assault rifles and sniper rifles?? Why no head protection??

I might even understand if during the initial attack there was light security,which got taken unaware of what was happening but if you are dropping in reinforcements,and know the hosts have started killing people,surely you would change tactics??

Why also are hosts allowed to enter the main computing areas of the park??

The computing areas is sort of ok, as they did say all the park fail safes were removed by Ford etc. So that is ok.

The equipment and actions of the security/Delos teams that came in from the outside though just simply didn't make sense. The equipment and behaviour was simply so they could fill the season with pointless gun fights.

Back
Top Bottom