Wet room and bathroom project underway (progress pics)

Caporegime
OP
Seeing this makes me want to pay a bit more for ditra when I do my DIY job.
If you're going to gold plate anything, make it the water protection and structure of the floor, would definitely be my advice.

Anyway tiling in the bathroom is moving along...albeit fairly slowly! Chap yesterday came at 9:30 then left at 2:15 as he'd 'laid the floor tiles so there was nothing else he can do today'. Possibly true, but it was a lovely sunny afternoon and the pub was no doubt beckoning :D.

DweVCrKh.jpg

Soldato
Hope the builder knows there are thousands of eyes scutinizing his work :)...
we will have to see if you later disclose the company, how did you select him ?

Presumably there will be some drop on the soil pipe ... with the low volume flushes these days.

Caporegime
OP
Hope the builder knows there are thousands of eyes scutinizing his work :)...
we will have to see if you later disclose the company, how did you select him ?

Presumably there will be some drop on the soil pipe ... with the low volume flushes these days.

I'll probably not disclose the company, because it will then feature in Google results and I might need them for warranty work down the line ;). If he sees his own work on Google next to me publicly slagging off his flooring methods, he might not be so accommodating.

Selection: we used him for our downstairs toilet and he did a good job. He was also the best in the quotation process in terms of reliability, comms, quotation detail, etc. Someone in our close has also used him for their bathrooms and I looked at the work and liked it.

Soil pipe and flush volume: no idea what the drop is but it's definitely sloping down. Flush volumes are normally adjustable though?

Soldato
Looking great, our en-suite and bathroom are on the to do list also.

What sort of price is the bathroom coming in at please?

Caporegime
OP
Looking great, our en-suite and bathroom are on the to do list also.

What sort of price is the bathroom coming in at please?

Similar to the wet room, around £12k.

Tiling is now finished, as is the plumbing and wiring for the shower and Aqualisa bath / shower controls.

prHnAiTh.jpg

Showing the electronic combined bath filler / overflow. The control panel will go directly above the filler.

h8FgBoSh.jpg

Recess and furniture:

gTLVjajh.jpg

uy552WIh.jpg

They're grouting on Monday and fitting the loo, towel heater, tap, shower, accessories etc. on Tuesday, and they reckon it'll finally be done and dusted by Wednesday after a long test session.

Can't wait to have a break from tradesmen in the house for a while!

Soldato
so is the wet room working as you expected - water keeping itself at one end sufficiently ?
(do folks generally, find themselves using a rubber blade to swipe floor at all?)

What are the bath dimensions (length seemed 3tiles on side / 4 on floor) so could not work it out ? - camera fore-shortened it

you went for a sloped right hand, indeed symmetric, even though there is a shower ? ... although lying towards window might be nicer.

Caporegime
OP
so is the wet room working as you expected - water keeping itself at one end sufficiently ?
(do folks generally, find themselves using a rubber blade to swipe floor at all?)

What are the bath dimensions (length seemed 3tiles on side / 4 on floor) so could not work it out ? - camera fore-shortened it

you went for a sloped right hand, indeed symmetric, even though there is a shower ? ... although lying towards window might be nicer.

- The wet room's working well for us. I'm loving the luxury of just walking into the shower. The water stays reasonably in the drain area but splashes out across 1/3 of the remaining floor. The ufh it dries quickly anyway. It's great for hosing down the kids when they're filthy too. We use a squeegee but don't bother doing the floor, because it runs away and the ufh takes care of the rest.

- The bath is 1800 x 800.

- Yes, few reasons for the double-ended bath: 1. we can choose which way to lie, 2. we have kids so it makes it easier with the 'tap' in the middle, 3. we can both get in it if we want and 4. I liked the symmetry. Main potential downside will be not being able to stand directly under the shower / rainfall head, but they can both be angled so I'm assuming (hoping) that's not a big problem.

Soldato
looking good there! the only thing that would drive me mental is - why didn't you get them to line up the tile with the bath lip edge and the recess?! those wee bits of tile would drive me metal everytime I was sitting on the bog! hehe

Caporegime
OP
All done, finally!

Ensuite:

IJ1HLqth.jpg

e0MYbV5h.jpg

Main bathroom:

ea0YxSDh.jpg

e6jxpe6h.jpg

rwsLhHDh.jpg

ANSbVqbh.jpg

Very happy to have gotten rid of the old bathrooms.

Just need to redecorate the ceiling now.

Only downside so far is the flow on the Aqualisa digital shower seems lower than before...not sure if there's a flow restrictor in there somewhere maybe, as I know water conservation is very fashionable!

looking good there! the only thing that would drive me mental is - why didn't you get them to line up the tile with the bath lip edge and the recess?! those wee bits of tile would drive me metal everytime I was sitting on the bog! hehe
At a guess, that would have meant a small cut above the windows, which would be more visible as you can see it from the landing / as you walk in.

Soldato
What you plan to do with the ceiling? I was going to tile mine but have set on high gloss PVC to give it a nice finish. Don't quite fancy paint in any bathroom due to eventual mould and discolouration.

Caporegime
OP
What you plan to do with the ceiling? I was going to tile mine but have set on high gloss PVC to give it a nice finish. Don't quite fancy paint in any bathroom due to eventual mould and discolouration.
Zinsser perma white. Have used it before and it stays very white and mould free indefinitely. I think it has a latex composition and its quite tricky to apply neatly, but it's perfect for bathrooms and especially wet areas with sloping ceilings.

Back
Top Bottom