Wet room and bathroom project underway (progress pics)

Soldato
Very nice result! Get a shaving mirror on an articulated arm and it'll solve the problem of not being able to pluck your nose hairs over the sink! We're getting our loft done and although won't have a wet room will hopefully have an awesome walk in shower. I'm quite keen to get the shower controls mounted so that I can switch on the shower without getting a blast of cold water first.

Caporegime
OP
Very nice result! Get a shaving mirror on an articulated arm and it'll solve the problem of not being able to pluck your nose hairs over the sink! We're getting our loft done and although won't have a wet room will hopefully have an awesome walk in shower. I'm quite keen to get the shower controls mounted so that I can switch on the shower without getting a blast of cold water first.

I bought a fog free shaving mirror and stuck it on the shower screen in the end. Works well so far.

There's no blast of cold water as you can reach the controls without your arm being in the water stream.

Well I have to say the ensuite looks really nice. Always fancied a wet room - may be one day.
One question; would have it been possible to switch the basin to the adjacent wall and have the mirror over it then? Also is it a de-misting mirror? (would love one of those).

Unfortunately there wouldn't have been enough width in the room for that configuration to be comfortable.

I believe the mirror face heats up when the LED lights are on, though the ventilation in the room is pretty good so not had any fogging problems.

Anyway the fitter was off yesterday to look after their sick child (it happens) so not much progress on the bathroom yet this week. First fix has been completed and they've done most of the studwork and boarding. Came back to find they'd over boarded with OSB :confused:. Why?! Just use cement board ya cheapskates! Especially in light of what I'm going to post next...a nice hairline crack in one of the floor tiles of the ensuite:

XOAOmo0h.jpg

They just had to leave the chipboard in situ, didn't they. **** wits.

Soldato
sympathies - that is going to be a tricky conversation - have you decided on the extent of the remedial work you want ?
maybe better that the problem occurred whilst they are still on site though.

Soldato
Thanks a lot for sharing. Really good to see other people's ideas.

We refurbished our flat not too long ago and it's amazing what a difference the bathroom makes.

The ensuite looks top class. Looking forward to seeing the main bathroom when it's done.

Caporegime
OP
sympathies - that is going to be a tricky conversation - have you decided on the extent of the remedial work you want ?
maybe better that the problem occurred whilst they are still on site though.
Yes it's simpler because they're currently doing the bathroom so are still onsite / visiting regularly.

I showed him the cracked tile yesterday. He squirmed a bit and made a few excuses like implying subtly that someone must have dropped something on it (which ****** me off, as the grout immediately adjacent was curiously undamaged), and how it's very strange as the tiles are pure porcelain.

Then when I challenged the floor they used, he showed me the documentation for the whole system (bitumen mat, grout, adhesive, etc.) where it explicitly states it's waterproof and OK to use on chipboard as it's designed for difficult substrates.

His conclusion was that it's happened because the electrician left the underfloor heating on whilst the adhesive and grout was going off (though why they didn't check this I don't know, and what does it mean for the rest of the tiles? Are they all going to crack now?!). They knocked out the broken tile yesterday, luckily not breaking the underfloor heating (god knows how as this was set into the adhesive) and replaced the tile, raking out all the floor grout and re-grouting so it was a consistent shade.

Some of the grout had small cracks in too. Apparently this was also because of the UFH being on too soon, but you know how these tradesmen are...they're very good at using words to avoid implied blame or fault. It makes no difference to me it being the spark though, as the spark was contracted by the bathroom company, not by me.

So to summarise, they've rectified the cracked tile but I'm still not entirely confident in the rest of the floor.

My plan is roast the UFH in the ensuite, see if any further cracks unfold, then to withhold the remaining £5k until they've replaced the entire floor. If there are no further problems between now and when the bathroom is completed, I guess I'll have to assume all is now OK and call them back if any more crack down the line.

The bit I don't get with these people is - why take shortcuts when it causes way more pain and cost down the line? Do they think they're being clever with money by saving £50 on cement board when it's taken them the best part of a whole day to replace the tile and re-grout?

Anyway the bathroom is moving along and I'll post some pics of that tonight.

Soldato
I did see OSB boards as base for Wetroom

Correct. Bare in mind, the guarantees for all the products you will use for this project, will have a clause saying that they must be used in conjunction BS5385, and BS5385 says it must be Ply. So if anything was to go wrong, you'd have no comeback.

You'll probably get people on here saying "well I've tiled on it before and never had a problem". And yes I can see its still tempting to use it baring in mind the layers you'll need to cover it. OSB3 is a far less density board than ply and nowhere near as structurally sound. So with humidity and heat, it will expand, in cold conditions, it will contract, with walking on it, you'll get deflection, if it gets damp with humidity, it will swell and go mouldy. And whatever is put on top of it, will inevitably follow.

Fare enough, you covering it all with all these waterproofing materials, but if anything can go wrong, it probably will.

Caporegime
OP
I spoke to the fitter and he says it's exterior grade, used for roofing etc. all the time, that he's screwed it every 15cm and water proofed it with primer paint, and that there's absolutely no movement in the floor.

The RIW system's warranty does not preclude chipboard, it only says that the substrate must be secure and stable.

I said if any water gets in it will turn to digestive biscuits and he just said 'it'll be fine, I promise'. Lol, easy to say when you'll be nowhere to be seen in 2 years when it's all rotten mulch!

Sigh.

Associate
12k to get the job done properly... only... it's not done properly. Good luck getting it fixed. Looks great otherwise. My bathroom is about the size of your walk-in shower area, and I can't get a quote lower than 6k to do a full refit to a reasonably quality with some "reputable" companies. Maybe that's not as high as I thought at first.

Soldato
Thanks for that - I'd just got to Participant's previous post and was wondering what the problem with OSB was, not really understanding what all the differences between boards were. Very informative!

With cement board also being mentioned, what difference might that have made? Is that preferable to marine-grade ply? And if so, why would that be?

Caporegime
OP
I thought the best stuff to use was WBP ply. I believe over time OSB will delaminate and just turn to mush.

WBP ply over-boarded with cement-based tile backer is probably the gold standard.

They've put a few layers of tanking paint down on the OSB now, so hopefully that won't happen.

Thanks for that - I'd just got to Participant's previous post and was wondering what the problem with OSB was, not really understanding what all the differences between boards were. Very informative!

With cement board also being mentioned, what difference might that have made? Is that preferable to marine-grade ply? And if so, why would that be?

Cement board doesn't expand or contract and has a water proof core. Ply, even marine ply, in theory could still expand slightly. All wood has the potential to eventually.

Soldato
Unfortunately it looks like the expensive bricks and mortar route isn't that great.

My farther in law did the same, paid over the odds for a known store on a kitchen and tbh the fitting (especially the electrics) are shocking.

Hopefully the floor is ok, but it's going to play on your mind!

Caporegime
OP
Agree on all the above iro the floor, but apart from demanding they rip it all up and start again, I'm stuck really. I'm very happy in all other respects - comms, diligence, respect, quality of cosmetic finish, waterproofing everything, use of de-coupling membrane, etc.

Anyway...bathroom well underway!

IeaMZkuh.jpg

Soldato
Are they working to any kind of spec/drawing/instruction etc?
It's annoying but it might just be that that's the way "they always do it" you'd be amazed how many times we argue with contractors about using wedi board/cement board etc on projects and its usually only because they either, don't read the drawings properly, or just do it the way they know.
Tbh OSB would worry me as it loses stability fairly rapidly if it gets wet, even ply would be better

Caporegime
OP
Are they working to any kind of spec/drawing/instruction etc?
It's annoying but it might just be that that's the way "they always do it" you'd be amazed how many times we argue with contractors about using wedi board/cement board etc on projects and its usually only because they either, don't read the drawings properly, or just do it the way they know.
Tbh OSB would worry me as it loses stability fairly rapidly if it gets wet, even ply would be better

They're working to the designs in my op, of which there are 2D equivalents with measurements, but nothing in respect of floor specification.

My in-laws were round earlier and they said they'd had two cracked tiles in their bathroom project (from 8 years ago) and they'd used ply. So I guess even ply doesn't preclude problems.

Hoping the OSB(3) doesn't get wet, as they've absolutely caked it in 'waterproof' paint. Water always finds a way though...!

Soldato
They're working to the designs in my op, of which there are 2D equivalents with measurements, but nothing in respect of floor specification.

My in-laws were round earlier and they said they'd had two cracked tiles in their bathroom project (from 8 years ago) and they'd used ply. So I guess even ply doesn't preclude problems.

Hoping the OSB(3) doesn't get wet, as they've absolutely caked it in 'waterproof' paint. Water always finds a way though...!

Yeah, cracked tiles can be an issue with anything other than a concrete floor tbh. Timber structures only need to move a tiny bit...
The paint on membranes are pretty heavy duty so as long as they are applied well, should be ok (at least until you sell the house!)

Back
Top Bottom