Wetherspoon general discussion.

Soldato
Didn't want to derail the McD's thread any further.

@aVdub

I've never been to that one in Fakenham, despite we spend a fair amount of time in this part of the country, it's only looking at the app replying to that other thread last night I seen it, as that's the closest one.

Now I know it's there, I'm going to give it a visit at some point this week, so I'll let you know if it's any good.

My "local" is the George Hotel in Whittlesey, although we have to drive there as we don't live in town, it's not a bad one actually.

I also go to the New Crown in Southgate in North London quite a bit, although that one is a **** hole really.

I been to loads of them though all over the country.

The best one I ever been to and it was recent was The Picture Playhouse in Bexhill on the south coast, sort of set over three floors, it had a roof terrace you could sit out on, but it used to be and old theatre and just interesting building. They also had food items on the menu most others don't, and we were drinking one of the local IPAs and it was bloody gorgeous.

Edit: I'm making a list!

The George Hotel, Whittlesey, Cambs
The College Arms, Peterborough
The Drapers Arms, Peterborough
Sandford House, Huntingdon, Cambs
The Swan & Angel, St. Ives, Cambs
The Regal, Cambridge
The Peter Cushing, Whitstable, Kent
The John Logie Baird, Hastings, Kent
The Picture Playhouse, Bexhill, Kent
The Moon & Stars, Penge, South London
The Ice Wharf, Camden, London
The Railway Bell, East Barnet, North London
The Old Manor, Bracknell, Berkshire
The Hope Tap, Reading
The Red Lion, Gatwick Airport
The New Crown, Southgate, North London
The Mossey Well, Muswell Hill, North London
Spouters Corner, Wood Green, North London
The Dukes Head, Leominster, Hereford
The Moon Under Water, Watford, Herts
Lloyds No 1. Bar, Nottingham
The Montague Pike, Charing Cross, London
The Great Glen, Fort William, Scotland
The Central Bar, Shepherds Bush, London
The Postern Gate, York
The Limes, Fakenham, Norfolk
....One of the two in Carlisle but I can't remember which as they are right next to each other.

Closed down:

The Moon Under Water, High Barnet, North London
The Talley Ho, North Finchley, North London
The Heart & Spool, Borehamwood, Herts

Last edited:
We've popped into the Canary Wharf Wetherspoons (The Ledger Building) on the way back to our hotel a couple of times and it has been a pleasant and buzzing place to just chill and enjoy a glass of white and red for the OH.

Apparently that is supposed to be the best one, I read some review thing once that ranked them, I'm pretty sure that one was top, it's got like a big curved roof thing right?

I will go one day.

Former royal baths. Very grand inside! Glad I’m on the same wavelength as the rest of the spoon’s clientele!

There’s quite a grand one called the Coronet on Holloway Road, just round the corner from the Emirates stadium. I used to go in there on match days. It used to be an art deco cinema built in 1940. Bloody huge place.

Last edited:
Never understood the attraction of them, though the one in the town I work in seems to be well maintained and well run other than the bar which gets a bit disorganised if it is busy and some of the bouncers were a bit special (though I think they've got shot of them after an incident). For some reason the people I work with like to meet up there before moving on to other stuff like the cinema or clubbing or I wouldn't step foot in one.

Once sat back to back at adjacent tables with Katie Price (Jordan) in there and had no clue who it was until I saw the article in the local news next day about her visit.

I heard they microwave the food

Yes like a lot pf places now do but it all tastes OK for the price

It’s a pub with generally awful patrons, mediocre food and poor selection of beer.

I've been in 200+ Spoons and your average patron looks like me and my wife so thanks for that.
You've totally got the poor selection of beer wrong, that's what they're known for and often have Beer Festivals.

I've been in 200+ Spoons and your average patron looks like me and my wife so thanks for that.
You've totally got the poor selection of beer wrong, that's what they're known for and often have Beer Festivals.
I’ve also been in plenty of Spoons and let’s just say there is a reason they open at 8am. I'll give you a clue, it’s not to serve breakfast :p.

If hanging out with those sort of people is your bag then that’s cool too! PS I know it’s not your bag sexy grey fox and I’m sure there’s plenty of ordinary people who stumble in now and again too;).

And for good beer? Nah. I’m sure it’s a step above some pubs but you’ve largely got minimum wage unskilled workers, I’ve been to pubs where the landlords work hard to keep a good pint and it’s a different league to a spoons.

They are good for cheap food and drink and daytime drinkers love them. The very nature of their prices also determines their clientel. Sadly as a result they are the only pub chain I know of that have the most SIA security needs. Their bar staff wear body cameras!!!!!!!1!!!

An upmarket pub landlord once said to me, we don’t need a doorman, our prices do that for us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom