What Amiga do I buy?

Associate
I dont think I've seen those before. At first glance i thought it was a floppy disk with a USB port on the end. Would be nice to have something that didn't require opening the amiga and modification.
Can't someone create a floppy disk that quickly writes a half revolution before the amiga reads it? :D

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
So, I listened to all the advice and have got an A600 :D

(I'm still looking for an A1200 but someone from work had an A600 they wanted to sell)

Caporegime
It's advisable to get A600/A1200 recapped if they haven't been because the capacitors tend to leak and eat into the motherboard.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Yep, already started looking into it. I need a PSU too.
Not sure if I should build a thing with a Meanwell PSU or go Pico ATX

Soldato
No one EVER wanted an ST over an Amiga :)
Yes I had an ST when they first came out, then my mate grabbed an Amiga, it was just superior in every way.

Reading this thread is a really bad idea as I want one now, the memories of games such as Lotus Esprit Turbo challenge (Nigel Mainsail and Ayrton Sendup nonetheless) are strong... Oh those were the days!

Soldato
I was always told the A500 with 1.3 ROM had the best overall historic support especially for older games

I am going from a purely "buy and play" perspective. No upgrades etc.

Friend at work has pumped upwards of a grand into his 1200, it's pretty impressive now and he is currently waiting on delivery of a black desktop case from a Kickstarter he backed

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
I was always told the A500 with 1.3 ROM had the best overall historic support especially for older games

I am going from a purely "buy and play" perspective. No upgrades etc.

Friend at work has pumped upwards of a grand into his 1200, it's pretty impressive now and he is currently waiting on delivery of a black desktop case from a Kickstarter he backed

I think I need to get some fast RAM and some kind of accelerator for each.. but I won't spend that much (flashforward a couple of months and there's a desktop case, mediator, blizzard PPC and a vampire on my desk :D)

Associate
Hmm, I did want a Falcon :o

I had one, had an STe before as well.
the Falcon, like the E never got the software support as it was lowest common denominator and that was the FM. But when you saw a Falcon title or piece of software go it was really impressive.

Like the moaning about the ST being the crap platform lol, the STe could have been up there with the Amiga for gaming if software took advantage of it but most didnt again... most was programmed for the FM on the ST side and it didnt have the blitter or what not the e did.
The ST, to me, outside of gaming always felt a faster machine than the associated Amiga of the time. It was, it had the slightly faster CPU but ultimately both machines were great for what they did best.
Gaming / graphics on the Amiga side
Music and DTP /design on the ST.

...and the Falcon.. a missed opportunity. :(

Soldato
Instructions unclear, bought an A500 now too.
Please send help before divorce proceedings begin.

Nicely done,

I keep looking at the expansion and processor boards .....just far too rich for me. Approaching Neo Geo AES territory so I know where my money would go (I don't have the money, just to be clear lol)

Soldato
Thats because the Atari ST doesn't have a good sound chip, its the STFM that does ! :)

No, it was the STE that had the upgraded sound chip. The STFM was an ST with a Floppy and a Modulator. The earliest Atari ST didn't have either of those. A friend of mine had one and he had to use an external floppy drive for his.

The Atari STE came later on and had upgraded graphics and sound, but not many games made full use of them.

Associate
The STe had a much upgraded sound and graphics setup, including a blitter chip.

The e was very close to the Amiga capability wise, but most things were programmed for the FM so the ST got the rep as being much inferior to the Amiga when in reality it was the FM that was.

Underboss
No, it was the STE that had the upgraded sound chip. The STFM was an ST with a Floppy and a Modulator. The earliest Atari ST didn't have either of those. A friend of mine had one and he had to use an external floppy drive for his.

The Atari STE came later on and had upgraded graphics and sound, but not many games made full use of them.

Thanks
Your right

Back
Top Bottom