What are the 30 year old plus gamers playing?

Associate
47 years young here and I thought I'd re-live a bit of my youth so decided to re-play Dune 2 via Amiga emulation.

It's really brought back some great memories but the mechanics are seriously difficult to accept again after playing modern RTS games, just little things like not being able to select multiple units at a time make it a bit of a slog. Nostalgia overload though!

Also just stated Luigi's Mansion 3 on the Switch which is great fun so far!

Associate
I'm not twiddling my thumbs waiting for a game to drop in price. I'm having amazing fun playing games from 2 years ago. After that I'll have fun playing last year's games. Then after that I'll have fun playing this year's games.

There's people who buy second hand GPUs like a 1080ti for example. You could argue that lifes too short for them too and they should have bought it new.

The thing is though, second hand stuff is only worth the price you pay due to wear and tear + lack of warranty.

Yet discounted games aren't second hand. The game you buy is a fresh 'new' download with no wear and tear. It's a no brainer.

A £600-£700 1080ti (at launch) is not the same as a £30-£50 new release game.

Ultimately you do what you want, I just don't see the savings as big enough.

Associate
42 here and I'm generally a few years behind with games. I did make an exception for last years RDR2 (PS4), but since then I've played the following games this year
- Batman Arkham series.
- Uncharted series.
- Fallout 4 Horizon mod.
- Alan Wake (Currently Playing).

I am looking forward to playing RDR2 on PC but I'm going to wait until the christmas holidays.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Deadly serious.

Life's short, you never know what could change in the next couple of years and its only a video game, if you want to play it then play it!
But if he is happy playing other games it makes a lot of sense to be 12 months behind. You get the game much cheaper and fully beta tested by people paying full price and patched up with best drivers.

Caporegime
48, slight revision since my last post here...

RDR2 as of tonight,
GTA V,
FSX,
Battlefield 2 & 4.

Titanic VR
Apollo VR
Project Cars VR

But if he is happy playing other games it makes a lot of sense to be 12 months behind. You get the game much cheaper and fully beta tested by people paying full price and patched up with best drivers.
Very true, I often wait for price reductions, did it with the last COD (the one with Titanic zombies) ended up paying about £10 - and frankly find it far better value and more enjoyable knowing I’ve not been fleeced!

Gone against the grain with RDR2, preordered it from Rockstar but bagged two free games so don’t mind too much and I know I’ll play this to death.

Soldato
Just loaded up Gunman Chronicles for the first time in ages. It's basically a standalone HL1 mod/game. It's super cheesy and quite old, but I never got round to playing it properly until now.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm not twiddling my thumbs waiting for a game to drop in price. I'm having amazing fun playing games from 2 years ago. After that I'll have fun playing last year's games. Then after that I'll have fun playing this year's games.

Pretty much exactly the same for me too.

With regards to @ceaton88 - it isn't just the money saved, it's down to a number of factors for me as well.

I don't get a lot of time to game properly, so even short games can take me ages to complete.
I generally only play 1 game at a time through to completion before starting the next
I also play a lot of strategy games, like total war, HOI which I can spend 6 - 12months on at a time, and dip back into as they have good replayability.
As mentioned, the state in which most games are released is appalling, so waiting for a while before diving in means it's less likely to have issues.
And to top it off, it also means my PC hardware lasts longer and I can also play the games at 4k at 60fps as my games tend to lag way behind the hardware I'm using the play them.

So there certainly isn't any wasted time as I already have a massive backlog still to play. I've not long finished Watchdogs 2, and currently on Far cry 5, I've still got Tomb raider 2 and 3, Assassins Creed Odyssey, I also want to retry No Mans Sky after the latest patch before even thinking about any games released this year :p

Caporegime
Just loaded up Gunman Chronicles for the first time in ages. It's basically a standalone HL1 mod/game. It's super cheesy and quite old, but I never got round to playing it properly until now.

I remember playing that on release. I don't know how I'd find it nowadays but I do recall liking it rather a lot. Brings back a few nice memories. :)

Soldato
I remember playing that on release. I don't know how I'd find it nowadays but I do recall liking it rather a lot. Brings back a few nice memories. :)

I've also been going through a few HL1 mods recently and that's when I remembered it. Unfortunately it hasn't aged well, but I just felt like revisiting it again because I never completed it.

Also check out mods like They Hunger 1-3 from the past if you want to see some good community horror mods for HL1, but there's so many good new mods now as well.

Soldato
33 here, Suffered a minor stroke recently and my doctor told me to keep my mind engaged and said games are a good way so I now do lots of raiding with my clan in Destiny 2, Good for giggles too :D

Caporegime
Playing the free weekend on American Truck Simulator. I prefer this to the Euro one as the cities and landscapes are way more beautiful and this is just California. But playing the game in 4K and I can’t figure out why the actual game looks like it’s running at 720p. Jaggies and blurry details everywhere, nothing is pin sharp like it should be.

Caporegime
33 here, Suffered a minor stroke recently and my doctor told me to keep my mind engaged and said games are a good way so I now do lots of raiding with my clan in Destiny 2, Good for giggles too :D
I had a major stroke when I was 32. I still enjoy gaming more than ever, but I can only use a pad as my left hand isn’t mobile enough to use the keys.

Currently playing Modern Warfare, RDR2 and Planet Zoo.

Back
Top Bottom