What are the most-reliable HDDs for long-term storage?

Associate
I'm planning on building a NAS to provide long term storage of all my current drives, backed-up/cloned.

I'd like to avoid changing the drives every 2 years so I'm looking for the most reliable HDD.

Can anyone recommend?

Caporegime
I'm planning on building a NAS to provide long term storage of all my current drives, backed-up/cloned.

I'd like to avoid changing the drives every 2 years so I'm looking for the most reliable HDD.

Can anyone recommend?

Unraid server. Then you have no need to clone or backup.

If one drive dies it simply re-builds when you swap it out

Man of Honour
I've found Seagate drives stand up well (though I'm not as impressed with them as I used to be) - the higher end ones can even keep data integrity when stuff starts to fail up to a point. But on my NAS setups I use real time replication to keep another mirror of the data either to an external USB HDD or cloud storage or both.

Soldato
The irony being I've just had one fail a week after it was installed.

The warranty and returns process has been faultless however :)

How are they for data recovery? I know that's a big selling point with the Senate Ironwolfs is that they offer it free of charge, if I'm not mistaken

Soldato
It could well have been, but it's as easy to raise an web advanced RMA with WD, and get a new drive sent out next day, then post the old one back.

By contrast my supplier would have had to wait for receipt of the drive, testing it etc, before being able to provide a replacement.

Good to know. Do you know if they offer this with WD Reds too?

Soldato
I seen a sort of test / diary made by company who were running hundreds of drives from different brands and Toshiba drives were very reliable if i remember but i think they were used in a commercial way. In a home PC i just go for WD because i always have good luck with them myself

Associate
I seen a sort of test / diary made by company who were running hundreds of drives from different brands and Toshiba drives were very reliable if i remember but i think they were used in a commercial way. In a home PC i just go for WD because i always have good luck with them myself

I think you might be thinking of the Backblaze drive reliability reports.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-drive-stats-for-q2-2021/

It's worth taking a look at their results, but their usage pattern is pretty specific; so it is very much a case of YMMV.

Soldato
I use WD Blacks, Gold, RE's and Ultrastars. The last 3 are the same family of drives with branding name changes.

Basic calculation in my head of the numbers I own.

Maybe 5 WD Blacks
4 WD Ultrastars
5 WD RE's
At least 2 WD Gold's.

None of the above have every failed, or given any issues. My drives are used in Silverstone FT-02 cases (own a number of these cases, great for servers & workstations), and I have 180mm fan running slow speed directly under the HDD's. I personally believe that getting some air over a HDD helps it's reliability.

Before anyone says I should stop using HDD's and get SSD's, I own quite a number of SSD's also, and ironically it's been SSD's that have failed / lost data, and not the HDD's.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just use 7,200rpm Toshiba drives these days. I long for the day when decent quality 2TB SSDs become more affordable - not Samsung QVO drives, for example.

Back
Top Bottom