What are you coding?

I'm building a real time chat application using Python, Flask, SQLAlchemy and PostgreSQL. I haven't decided on the backend for the actual WebSocket server for the real time chat part yet though.

I had this book https://archive.org/details/arm-arc...complete-programming-course-se-covers-risc-os and my dad bought me the RiscOS Programmers Reference Guide (a set of books that documented all the SWIs etc).

I still have this one (Martyn not Martin) covered the fundamentals decently, I've got the RISC OS Programmers Reference Guide somewhere as well but probably in storage now - couldn't find it from a quick dig.

8WLhaTs.png

Sadly I've forgotten most of what I know now about ARM programming - I look back at some of the stuff I did and was like "I did that!?!" - OK some techniques are extremely dated now hah.

Have to say that Stamford Swift course is good so far. It's good because he addresses some of the gotchas such as class vs struct - all the points an old programmer needs :D

C# developer, programmed to many languages to list.

Been lead developer / technical architect in the past, highly scalable enterprise software is what I work on. It's all in the core design, get this wrong and the project will suffer. Refactor early as possible, the longer issues are left the more you will suffer later.

Was trained by one of the x concorde software engineers after uni, was taught modular development and the importance of fail safe that has stayed with me.

Remember, software makes computers run slow so only process what is required and release resources immediately. Always attempt to reduce database IO, that's where the slowdowns normally occur. In testing it's one thing to have 10 users logged into your system, the real tests is when many hundreds are logged in, then you'll know how well your architecture is.

At uni I shared my final year house with Berty (Tom Cooper) who wrote and sold a number of games on the arch. Xymox who wrote the music for many of tom's games was on the campus too.

I remember Cycloids - my sister was annoyingly good at it - much better than I was. I can't remember if I've played any of his other games or not.

Never been interested in front-end stuff but due to some things at work, I've been dabbling and actually enjoying it. Perhaps I underestimated how much I enjoy a visual output to stuff.
I've got another hackathon coming up in September so I'll just stick with it because at least I'll be able to contribute something lol.

For context: I'm a delivery manager for digital 'stuff' but have always tinkered with coding etc. There is a plan to move me into DevOps But this may involve me having to drop a few grades which is fine because I find that work stimulates my mind much more than current role does.

Last edited:
I've written a lot of papyrus scripts for Skyrim mods not sure if that counts heh. Currently messing about with Blender

I still have this one (Martyn not Martin) covered the fundamentals decently, I've got the RISC OS Programmers Reference Guide somewhere as well but probably in storage now - couldn't find it from a quick dig.

8WLhaTs.png

Sadly I've forgotten most of what I know now about ARM programming - I look back at some of the stuff I did and was like "I did that!?!" - OK some techniques are extremely dated now hah.
Heh I've still got one for 6502 assembly language for the BBC Micro somewhere or other can still remember most of that

Back
Top Bottom