What are you currently working on?

Associate
Converted entire 100,000+ pages/asset site into HTTPS, monitoring traffic, Google PPC campaign, TripAdvisor TripConnect management, researching into transforming a large 10,000+ page legacy website built entirely on static development via FTP into CMS powered (Squiz CMS) and in the process redesign, convert it to HTTPS and add all the bells and whistles of modern web.

So yeah, busy is understatement.

Soldato
I'd use Python to read the csv, parse the info and then use pygmaps to pin the info to a google map. Not tried it myself but remember reading about it a few years ago.

I would use C# to parse the CSV into a ViewModel and then use the GoogleMaps Api.

Thanks chaps. I am a noob at programming. I feel a fraud even venturing in this forum. I've just about managed it using (aka. copying existing scripts and trial & error'ing) 3x php files and mysql. It works. Just.

Next job - try to work out if it's possible to separate the loading of the map, and the loading of the markers.

http://scillymission.com/ais/map.php
Here is my bodge job at the moment. Ignore the unfinished markers and info boxes.

Ideally I'd like the markers to reload every 2 minutes, and not the map. My aim is to get all this working using a 2G mobile network!!

Associate
The two things I'm having most fun working on right now are:

A load balancing HTTP application router/reverse proxy which will replace our HAProxy instances. A distributed, caching, dynamic resizing image server.

Both are being written in Go.

Soldato
My current projects are boring but hey ho.

First one is a problem reporting tool for a facilities management department within a bank - this will enable the front line staff to generate a report which gets sent to the supervisors. Main idea for it is to get everything 100% consistent and to force prevention of user error - simple form conversion to an html template which then gets sent via email to defined distribution lists.

Second is a end of training practical exam for new employees. This is for a financial area of the same bank. Currently its all theory based with minimal hands on - silly idea for a start but anyway. It will basically put a wrapper around various systems they use and track what they do, where they go, what they enter etc etc and this will be based around scenarios we give them.
Second part to this is that it will automatically update a different report for the trainers so they can see live what is happening and how the person is doing.

Both are being done in vb (that's all I know properly.) They are side projects as im just a manager but I enjoy it anyway.

Associate
Currently working with a workmate on a Steam Overlay homepage which shows different (customisable) links depending on which game you're in, quickly knocked up using Bootstrap as a base, and Steam OpenID for user identification.

http://custeam.io

Need to stick some more links in, but any feedback on the design / user experience?
Was going to stick it out into the wider world as open source, but too many random API keys in there at the moment.

Soldato
Hope it's ok to post some graphic design here

Something I'm playing with for a fun side project

275e9dda-9860-435f-b493-09d92bd5032e_zpskybtkhse.jpg

Still have work on the typeface to do as I'm not convinced

Associate
https://github.com/Level-2/Transphporm A PHP template engine that actually separates markup from processing logic (unlike twig, smarty, blade etc) using CSS inspired syntax :)

e.g. with the template

Code:
<h1>my title</h1>
<p>description</p>

it can adjust the template using a transformation stylesheet:

Code:
h1 {content: "What are you currently working on?"}
p {content: "Basically this thread is just to share what you're working on and/or any projects that you're proud of. "}

And spit out:

Code:
<h1>What are you currently working on?</h1>
<p>Basically this thread is just to share what you're working on and/or any projects that you're proud of.</p>

Alternatively, you can supply a data structure (array or object) with values:

Code:
$data = ['title' => 'What are you currently working on?',
'description' => 'Basically this thread is just to share what you're working on and/or any projects that you're proud of.'
];

Then reference that in the stylesheet:

Code:
h1 {content: data(title);}
p {content: data(description)}

which will generate the same output. It currently supports most css selectors, looping through data sets and setting attributes :)

Last edited:
Soldato
An android app for medical students.

A definitive collection of basic revision and testing material
15k flash cards, 1k anatomy points in a ranked 'game', 150 radiology images, 100+ heart and lung sounds, 2.5k MCQsx, every OSCE procedure

I've just got to finish uploading/formatting the content. Hopefully start beta testing in 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom