What are you squeamish about?

Soldato
I'm not too fussy but the thought of eating brains, gonads and eyes doesn't really appeal. Eating small animals whole is a little strange too and not something I'd relish.
I'm not too keen on tentacles either, I've tried them but found them a little strange.

Man of Honour
Surprisingly most new meats/seafood/odd dishes. But I'll force myself to try them in nice restaraunts and 99% of the time I love it.

It's hard breaking parental habits. Mom only ate whole cuts of meat and only chicken, beef lamb and occasionally bacon. No seafood at all and only battered cod or smoked haddock. And steaks where cremated. It's taken me a long time to break those habits and when trying new stuff I still struggle. But god has my palate expanded in the last decade.

Soldato
Liver I guess, it's not a squeamish thing I just really dislike the texture.

Balut (boiled fertilised egg ... even the thought of it makes me feel nauseous)

Oh yeah, this too. And the century egg, just look wrong.

Twig and berries are a no-no, as are eyeballs. Dolphin, seal, penguin et al are off the menu too.

Penguin? I'd never even considered it... now I want to try it.

La Cuisine zoo meet anyone?

Associate
No offal, no liver/kidneys.

Also have issues with seafood, prawns are tasty but I can be put off eating one whole if prepared poorly with the poo trail :o

Also mushrooms, urgggg (unless magic:D)

Soldato
Tried pretty much most things, though working in a butchers with a Maori means i was exposed to some of the wierder types of food. Eyeballs werent a favourite, could never understand why people liked tripe, brains were just a bit too squishy. Quite liked sweetbreads. Never tried any nads or penis though!

Cant say i've ever thought of trying that fertilised egg stuff though, now that is just wrong.

Soldato
I haven't tried eyes or gonads knowingly! At the right restaurant or with enough beer on board I don't think anything is off limits for me. Exotic animals are a definite yes!

I think the most disgusting thing I've eaten was in Japan which can best be described as fish profiteroles. Really terrible street food!

Associate
I can eat most things, not phased by tentacles or eyeballs, but cheese is what gets me....that fly larvae cheese is probably my pinnacle of repulsion. Mould just shouldn't be eaten! bleughhh :sick:

Associate
dolphin, seal, penguin, tiger, shark etc are all no-no's. Also, I prefer meat off the bone but that is for convenience's sake - I just cba to sit there picking salmon bones out of my mouth, or the mess when eating ribs (will gladly put up with it though for a nice, juicy rack of lamb NOMNOMNOM).

Genitals and anything that is alive when it goes into my mouth (especially casu marzu, thanks for reminding me Moza) are just non-negotiable for me. I would rather miss a meal completely tbh.

Edit - no kindeys either, always smell like urea :/

Last edited:
Soldato
Tripe. I ordered some in Rome a few years back as it is a so called speciality there. Just could not eat it. I tried to like it but it was bland and chewy and the honeycomb look just made me feel sick.

I have happily eaten raw fish eyes (Perch) before though.

Associate
Don't like to see heads left on anything really. Turns my stomach a bit. I like a bit of offal but I wouldn't eat bumholes or eyeballs or any of that. Life's too short.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
I can eat most things, not phased by tentacles or eyeballs, but cheese is what gets me....that fly larvae cheese is probably my pinnacle of repulsion. Mould just shouldn't be eaten! bleughhh :sick:
There's no way I could go there. I saw that programme a few years back and was more wtf :confused: than mmmm I fancy a bit of that. Especially when the guy took a sniff and gagged like Stevo from Jackass.

Tripe. I ordered some in Rome a few years back as it is a so called speciality there. Just could not eat it. I tried to like it but it was bland and chewy and the honeycomb look just made me feel sick.
I saw it in Rome too, and really wanted to try it. I figured if you're going to try it then try it somewhere where it's a local dish and they know what to do with it. Fail. I could do it :p

Soldato
I dont normally eat much offal, except the occasional liver if cooked properly. However what puts me off the most is the consumption of animals that to me is just plain wrong i.e. Whale, Dog, Cat, Monkey, Sharkfin, etc.

Back
Top Bottom