What Bean to Cup coffee machine?

Associate
I have my left dial set almost at the bottom, I hate the extra water being pushed through the ground to make a bigger coffee - I just add water from the kettle (temp controlled obv) and find I get a much better cup.

I actually had a problem with mine but repaired it, mainly with food grade silicone as the brew head was sticking and ended up depositing most of the grounds in the machine - came to light as I was getting very weak coffee :o

Love the machine, was in a right panic when it broke and while I have a Gaggia I just don't use it, I don't drink instant and tend to use Aldi beans for my everyday cups of coffee (americano) and Rave when I want a nicer cup!

Mine drops a lot of grounds in the machine, could this be whats wrong with mine?

Soldato
Is there a generally accepted size in ml of the optimum espresso shot then? I can then measure what my machine is producing and adjust accordingly.

best I had seen
so 7g of coffee making 25ml , for regular.
both yours an MrCookies videos seemed to show only a single being pulled for a latte ? I had expected a double for any with milk drink, so 14g.
(not sure what high street vendors do here? - Raymond you owned up to frequenting them ?)

extractionratios-2.png

Soldato
Is there a generally accepted size in ml of the optimum espresso shot then? I can then measure what my machine is producing and adjust accordingly.

I played around with mine loads when I got it and compared to what I would expect from the Gaggia and that is how I settled.

Mine drops a lot of grounds in the machine, could this be whats wrong with mine?

Could be, mine was dumping half the ground in the machine and onto the tray where the spent grounds bucket sits - basically the brew head wasn't moving freely so the grounds didnt get dumped into the tamp bit. I would also have a lot of wet grounds in the machine and the pucks in waste bucket would be smaller than normal etc.

I basically did this..

https://youtu.be/1A4hlIKjj9U

Soldato
They all drop ground in the machine. Just ensure you clean it often.

Worth noting, that video says to wash the infuser in hot soapy water. The manual says specially not to use soap.

Associate
I think the salt in washing up liquid attacks rubber, was always told not to use it as windscreen wash (will be fine as long as unit is disassembled, then the o rings are rinsed and dried before re-greasing, as already stated with food grade silicone). The orings in the brewer they do dry out, mine started dropping lots of grinds in the machine and rocked when trying to move the diffuser. This stopped after re-greasing and I now do it about every 6 months.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone got any cheap links to food safe lube? any i could find was mega expensive

Edit: nevermind got some for £12 delivered tomorrow

Last edited:
Soldato
They all drop ground in the machine. Just ensure you clean it often.

Worth noting, that video says to wash the infuser in hot soapy water. The manual says specially not to use soap.

Mine doesnt drop any in the machine after lubing it up - it was literally dumping half the grounds when not working as it should - the spent grounds just go in the ickle bin whole now and no dry grounds anywhere.

I also don't use soap and water, you are fine to use it as long as you rinse it off of course.

Associate
Just cleaned mine again fully as in the video, lubed with the food safe lube and im descaling now. Fingers crossed it'll run like new again

Soldato
I've always wanted a "bean to cup" machine but I know I'll just never use it ;)

I procrastinated for years about getting one, thinking the same. Bought one at Christmas and never looked back; love it. Working from home a lot means it gets regular use. I am a coffee person up until about 3pm then I switch to tea. Mine's the De'Longhi ECAM22.113.B_BK incidentally; no issues with strength, although sometimes give it a burst in the microwave as not always as hot as I would like when I have added milk.

Have enjoyed buying different beans for mine too :)

Associate
My machine must have been absolutely filthy because theres such a difference in taste, especially the taste and texture of the crema

Associate
Good to hear, bear in mind as well that there is a little in line water filter, I changed mine recently and that also improved things only cost a couple of quid and the old one was clogged up with black stuff- it has been in there for 5 years though (I checked). Bear in mind though if you ever take the side panels to access, you have to push back and then pull out from bottom otherwise you'll break plastic lugs (assume it's similar to my esam 04.320).

Associate
Might find something on you tube, don't know. Failing that search 'insert model number' parts diagram. Will probably come up with parts master site with hopefully an exploded diagram. Should be on a bit of pipe attached near to tank, just take your time taking panels off without forcing as I said unscrew back panel and slide side panels towards back and pull bottoms out if like mine (old model). If yours is only a couple years old it might not be too bad though.

Just to cover myself - unplug from mains :)

Associate
Got a dozen bags of coffee beans from around the world from The Bean Shop for fathers day.

I have a filter machine at the moment that I've had for 5 years or so (used daily). I've always wanted a decent bean to cup machine and with my birthday next week, thought it would be the perfect time to pull the trigger on getting one. Budget up to £400.

The 2 I've looked at are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-EA81...=1497780956&sr=8-1&keywords=krups+bean+to+cup

&

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-M...1497781046&sr=8-1&keywords=delonghi+esam+4200

Any thoughts as to the best one, or if there are any others I should consider?

Caporegime
The Delonghi is good once you get used to working round the limitations (won't do a proper double shot, steam wand not flexible, can only change grind setting when it's grinding...etc.) but be aware that it's frequently significantly cheaper than its current price on Amazon. I paid £260.

Soldato
Got a dozen bags of coffee beans from around the world from The Bean Shop for fathers day.

I have a filter machine at the moment that I've had for 5 years or so (used daily). I've always wanted a decent bean to cup machine and with my birthday next week, thought it would be the perfect time to pull the trigger on getting one. Budget up to £400.

The 2 I've looked at are:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-EA81...=1497780956&sr=8-1&keywords=krups+bean+to+cup

&

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-M...1497781046&sr=8-1&keywords=delonghi+esam+4200

Any thoughts as to the best one, or if there are any others I should consider?

You said you currently have a filter machine? Do you prefer 'long drinks' rather than espresso/steamed milk ones? If so, you may find better value looking at something like the Wilfa grinder combined a manual dripper like a Chemex?

I had the Delonghi you linked for years, and sold it on to a friend who still has it now. They're decent for the money and in my experience really reliable - so I would recommend one if you think it'll suite what you want to use it for.

Associate
It'll be used daily for Americano's / expresso's, i like my coffee black and strong. The missus might get some use out of the steamer at the weekends.

Thanks, participant. I've found the delonghi for
260 quid.

Maybe I'm just wanting a bean to cup for the sake of it, and be better off with a decent grinder and filter. Confused.

Soldato
Fair enough if you think you'll be happy for it for Espresso and milk drinks - I just know a few people who have not been happy with them (mainly) because they weren't quite as instant as they were expecting. I'd personally be happy to get a refurb/returned one from Amazon for <£200 - but that's just me :)

If you wanted an alternative in the filter area, I'd either be looking for a Wilfa grinder + Chemex, or if you wanted something more automated then a Moccamaster (still using the Wilfa grinder).

Back
Top Bottom