What Bean to Cup coffee machine?

Associate
I'm just after the best americano type brew for the money I can afford. Coffee is a daily part of my routine, so I think I should invest some time and money into it. :)

Perhaps that doesn't mean a bean to cup machine, but i think some extensive research is needed. :(

Caporegime
Fair enough if you think you'll be happy for it for Espresso and milk drinks - I just know a few people who have not been happy with them (mainly) because they weren't quite as instant as they were expecting. I'd personally be happy to get a refurb/returned one from Amazon for <£200 - but that's just me :)

If you wanted an alternative in the filter area, I'd either be looking for a Wilfa grinder + Chemex, or if you wanted something more automated then a Moccamaster (still using the Wilfa grinder).

Bean to cups are far faster than a moccamaster, so there's no point warning him off a bean to cup due to speed then referring him to a moccamaster.

Soldato
Bean to cups are far faster than a moccamaster, so there's no point warning him off a bean to cup due to speed then referring him to a moccamaster.

But you're making for ~4 people, you have to stand in front of the bean to cup machine pressing buttons - and if you want a full mug of coffee they're not that quick to fill a mug unless you've got a kettle alongside it to top it up. At least with something like a moccamaster you can leave it brewing to an extent.

I'm not for or against anything - just playing devil's advocate a little so @Beer_MonsterUK picks what suits his use case best :)

Soldato
Agree I have the TSP it is amazing.

Apologies for bumping a relatively old thread.

@londonbairn where did you buy your TSP from? I'm having difficulty sourcing one in the UK, and the Melitta website doesn't have a list of authorised re-sellers available. Thanks :)

EDIT: Doh. Apparently the TSP is the 2016 model and the TS is the 2017. Not confusing at all :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Apologies for bumping a relatively old thread.

@londonbairn where did you buy your TSP from? I'm having difficulty sourcing one in the UK, and the Melitta website doesn't have a list of authorised re-sellers available. Thanks :)

EDIT: Doh. Apparently the TSP is the 2016 model and the TS is the 2017. Not confusing at all :)

Got mines from redber. I didn’t even know that, I assumed they were the same barring the TSP came with a stainless steel milk karafe!

Soldato
Got mines from redber. I didn’t even know that, I assumed they were the same barring the TSP came with a stainless steel milk karafe!

Thanks, that's the place I was considering getting the TS from because their price is the best that I can find. This is what they told me via email with regards to TSP vs TS:

That item [TSP] is now called the Barista TS Stainless Steel F76/0-100. The TSP was the 2016 edition. It is identical apart from also having the Intense Aroma function, which allows for longer more intense extractions. They changed the name to simplify the range.

Associate
I got my Melitta from Currys at the time it was cheaper then Redber not sure if it still is. Probably my best buy in a long time couldn't go without it now.

Associate
I'm looking for a bean-to-cup machine for the <£300 mark.

I've seen the Delonghi ESAM 3000 at John Lewis ~£300 and the 4200 online for 279 (silver), but haven't been able to see any clear difference between the models online.

I've also seen the ECAM23.460 for 350 which I'm guessing can make a cappuccino with a button push vs the other 2 which are manual wand. Is there a reason they are a similar price? I drink a mix of white Americano and cappuccino at work, but would rather stick with manual if the inbuilt milk frothing compromises the machine in other ways.

Also, how much is it a step up over nespresso?

Many thanks for any help

Associate
We bought a Krups Nespresso and you buy the pods to the strength you like. Loads of choice and makes the best coffee we've ever had - love it and it has lots of decaf options on the site. Don't be tempted by the milk frother unless you're really going to use it. For us it was such a gimmick; we only used it about a dozen times. The machine is easy to keep clean and gives a wonderful aroma when brewing the coffee. Definitely 4.5 stars (dropped .5 star due to milk frother.)

Associate
Any recommendations for a machine under £300 that doesn't make that much noise when I want to make coffee early and my girlfriend is still asleep next door?
Had a cheap Delonghi from Currys but I'm sure even the neighbours can hear me making a cup

Man of Honour
Hand grinder and a filter brew method?
Quiet and sub £50.

To be quiet it'd need a rotary pump, and getting one of those in a sub£300 machine is not possible. They'll all be loud.

Associate
Agree with the above. I'm about to get a Delonghi model and have been looking at lots of options. Delonghi seem to be the cheapest bean to cup machines and it doesn't seem that there is a significant internal difference between the cheaper and more expensive machines other than features. Even with offers I think you may struggle.

Does your current machine have a slot for pre-ground beans? You could use a hand grinder in the morning to reduce noise.

Associate
Picking up on this thread...i have a De'Longhi Eletta ECAM 44.660.B Bean to Cup. I find the coffee extremely weak and watery in its constitency after 4 months with the machine. If i adjust the "strengh" option to "strong", then the taste is not too bad but i would prefer a much denser coffee. There is a huge difference with a typical Nespresso machine for ex. I wonder if i have unreasonable expectations....

I adjusted the grinder setting by putting it to 1 but i did not know that it had to be done one unit by one unit and only when in action. So maybe i broke the grinder or something?

any pointers or advice ? or you all hate these machines anyhow !

THANK YOU

Back
Top Bottom