What book are you reading...

Man of Honour
Yes, I found the same. She does ramble on a bit and the story is quite slow (and Fitz is quite annoying). I struggled through the first 2 books but can't bring myself to read the 3rd.

You may need to get used to the style: if GRRM dies before completing ASoIaF then she is the person most likely to be tasked with finishing it (she and Martin are old friends).

Mentioned somewhere on this thread or maybe the gaming thread with the impending Warhammer 40k game so giving Ciaphas Cain books a go by Sandy Mitchell (Alex Stewart).

A nice easy read and nothing like I would expect for 40k. Not that I have read anything just hadn't expected the humour to work so well.

Permabanned
Women by Charles Bukowski. Used to be OBSESSED with his novels and poetry as an angsty teen. Haven't been back to his stuff for years and decided to just grab t as I was leaving the house this morning.

Truly remarkable stuff. He has a way of writing that's never really been bested for me. Of course, he was misogynistic pig of a man who thought far too much of himself, but his stories (whether true or not) are fascinating.

Soldato
Just finished Operation Mincemeat by Ben Macintyre. I thought it was well written and well presented, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sure how factually accurate it is, however it does seem that the mission was almost 50% planning and 50% luck.

Soldato
Have just started A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow. Third book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

I couldn't for the life of me get into the Game of Thrones TV series but I've found the books fantastic. Really enjoying them at the moment. Maybe one day I'll give the TV series another go but for me the books are in a different league.

Associate
Just finished the second book in the First Law trilogy. Excellent read and now onto the final book in the series. The first book I found a little slow at times but the second I've found much improved. Hopefully the 3rd book doesn't disappoint.

Associate
Just finished the second book in the First Law trilogy. Excellent read and now onto the final book in the series. The first book I found a little slow at times but the second I've found much improved. Hopefully the 3rd book doesn't disappoint.
Glad you're enjoying the series. Read the follow-on books afterwards!!!

I've finished The Flame Bearer, book 10 in The Last Kingdom Series. It's the longest book series I've read and I've loved every page of it. A superbly written story. I can't wait for the next one although it may be a while :(.

Associate
Yeah it was an awesome recommendation. I'm halfway through the last book in the first law trilogy now. I plan on getting up to date with the last kingdom series possibly next. Having only started reading recently its a bit overwhelming the amount of quality books and series there are out there. My kindle back log is "nearly" as bad as my steam back log.....

Associate
Glad you're enjoying the series. Read the follow-on books afterwards!!!

I fully intended to have a break from the first law universe after finishing the Last Argument of Kings..... But having now read the series to it's conclusion I have found that it has left me wanting more.... and it turns out I have no self control :p

Especially as the follow on books are supposed to clear up some of the loose ends. Hoping that this is the case because there was so much left open at the end of the last book.

So I guess now I am reading "Best Served Cold" by Joe Abercrombie :D

Associate
I've just finished the first 10 books about Cotton Malone by Steve Berry, not the best crimes/thrillers I've read but they pass the time quite well.

Now I'm going to start "The Night Circus" by Erin Morgenstern, seemed quite interesting by reading the cover so will see how it goes.

Also have Murakami's "Kafka on the Shore" to read, Justin Cronin's "City of Mirrors" (that I actually even got signed by him earlier in the summer) and book 10/11 in the "Wheel of Time" series...

Soldato
Just finished "Alien: Out of the Shadows" (strictly speaking an "audio performance") and it was really good. Set between Alien and Aliens it has some nice ideas and kept me enthralled throughout. The woman 'playing' Ripley was really good and it was easy to forget it wasn't Weaver. Rutger Hauer was good too. All in all, I recommend this one if you are an alien fan. If only I could use the med pod to help with my Prometheus issues. :)

Associate
Finally finished off the First Law stand alone books set after the first trilogy. Enjoyed all of them in the end. I wasn't so sure about the last on but it came on stronger at the end. Glad to finally have the loose ends from the first three books tied up. Would recommend them to anyone who has read the 1st law trilogy as well as anyone new to Joe Abercrombie's work - I would always recommend reading the First Law trilogy 1st though as it will give you a huge amount of back story for the three stand alones :)

Back to the Last Kingdom series now and on with book 4 Sword Song - great series that I am still enjoying.

Soldato
Just finished "Alien: Out of the Shadows" (strictly speaking an "audio performance") and it was really good. Set between Alien and Aliens it has some nice ideas and kept me enthralled throughout. The woman 'playing' Ripley was really good and it was easy to forget it wasn't Weaver. Rutger Hauer was good too. All in all, I recommend this one if you are an alien fan. If only I could use the med pod to help with my Prometheus issues. :)

Have you also tried Sea of Sorrows and River of Pain?

I found all three to be very good.

Currently reading John Scalzi's Old Man's War series (second book) and trying to read Dune.

I don't know what it is about Dune but I am struggling with it. I have no issue with the "depth" in the writing or the story itself (I have seen the film multiple times) but something is not clicking. Maybe it is because I have seen the film and know what is going to happen it is clouding my ability to "get lost" in the book itself (I normally have no issue letting my imagination build the story in my mind).

I might put it down for now and pick back up Elfstones of Shanara.

Associate
Managed to read Ben Aaronovitch Rivers of London on my jollys. Really enjoyed it, looking forward to reading the rest.

I enjoyed it too (mostly), but the last act felt a bit rushed and contrived, which was a shame because all the preceding stuff fell together so neatly.

Just started the first book of The Dark Tower by Stephen King after years of recommendation by a close friend. He also says to persevere, book 1 just sets the scene.

Soldato
I enjoyed it too (mostly), but the last act felt a bit rushed and contrived, which was a shame because all the preceding stuff fell together so neatly.

Just started the first book of The Dark Tower by Stephen King after years of recommendation by a close friend. He also says to persevere, book 1 just sets the scene.

I eventually gave in on the Ben A books after initially really enjoying them. I heard he is a script/episode writer for various tv shows and by the end I felt his books read like overlong, drawn out episodes of a sitcom but I had to wait 2 years for each episode as opposed to a week.

That sounds pretty harsh but I actually like his writing style, I just found his books far to slow and by the last two, uninteresting.

I'm trying the Vorkosigan Saga at the moment in my seemingly unending quest to find a series to read. I think it's myself more than the books I've been reading this year but I just haven't been able to really get into anything. I've found the deep stuff too much of a time/brain commitment (busy at work with 2 kids doesn't help! :p) and the pulp stuff just doesn't grip me, I've mainly read graphic novels this year. It's got so bad as an avid Erikson fan after buying fall of the light on day one it's still sat untouched on my bedside table.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom