What book are you reading...

Soldato
It starts off really well but it loses it's way and meanders a lot. It falls down because GW doesn't want it to end so there are a billion short stories and audiobooks and it's hard to tell what order things are meant to be read in. I still read it because I've started so I'll finish but it's fallen apart because it's being run by a business rather than as a series of books.

Just finished Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne by Brian Stavely. An interesting series, I liked the world and it did some interesting things.

+1 to this. First half dozen books are amazing but around the time it hit Angel Exterminatus it had taken a swan dive off a cliff as it really painfully overdraws out the story for money.

The irony being they could have started the series earlier (leading up to the big campaign where tge emperor annoints Horus) and done some genuinely interesting stuff instead of the tedium they filled it with.

Man of Honour
Anyone got thoughts on the sci-fi series: Helliconia? It's been recommended but unsure, the books look huge.

The trilogy is very good, if a little slow to get going, but it's a fair way towards the "literary" end of SF. If you read people like Ursula LeGuin, you should like it. If Asimov is more your thing then you might not.

Associate
Started Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky a couple of days ago. Wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it but so far so good.
I found that a bit of a slog to get through. It was interesting, and on the whole a good experience, but I'd probably have enjoyed it more with a little extra editing. The fact that I didn't immediately go and seek out his other books probably summarises my overall feelings. Would have liked a little more of the human story too.

Soldato
I found that a bit of a slog to get through. It was interesting, and on the whole a good experience, but I'd probably have enjoyed it more with a little extra editing. The fact that I didn't immediately go and seek out his other books probably summarises my overall feelings. Would have liked a little more of the human story too.

I've got to admit I found the final battle between the spiders and humans a bit stupid.

Back
Top Bottom