What book are you reading...

Soldato
i've just finished The Night Stalker - the life and crimes of one of America's deadliest killers

Am really getting into the true crime genre. Mostly Serial killers form the 70's 80's

have also listened to Helter Skelter (Charles Manson), The stranger beside me (Ted Bundy) and In Cold Blood (Clutter family murders).

Next i'm looking at Jeffrey Dahmer, Dennis Rader or John Wayne Gacy.

Anyone else into these and can reccomend?

Soldato
Just finished Shoe Dog by Phil Knight, the founder of Nike. Tells the story of the founding of Blue Ribbon shoe company (the precursor to Nike) and the struggles that followed getting to where it is today. Easily the best book I've read the past 5 years.

I don't think I can recommend it highly enough. It's NOTHING like I expected it to be. One of the most human and inspiring books I've ever read. I see it gets a perfect rating on Amazon, as it should.

10/10

Soldato
Currently reading 12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson.

Despite the heavy (albeit mostly justified) reliance on Biblical/Christian values, this seems to be a superb self-help book for people who hate self-help books.

I'm on Rule 5 (i.e. Chapter 5). Compelling reading so far.

Associate
Just finished Red Rising by Pierce Brown which I picked up as it was only 99p on the Kindle Store it was an enjoyable read and will definitely read the sequels at some points.

Started Imperium (#1 in the Cicero Trilogy) by Robert Harris last night. Only a few chapters and enjoying it so far.

Associate
Finally got around to reading all of the Harry Potter books.

Started The Dwarves by Markus Heitz today, 177 pages in & so far so good. I'll likely complete the series if I'm still enjoying it by the end of the book.

After those I'll see what I fancy, maybe something in the crime genre or something zombie-esque :D

Soldato
Just finished All the World's a Stage by Boris Akunin. Horrible waiting so long for this book to be translated as the series is staggeringly good, ironically though this is either the worst or second worst book in the series :p

Good to see they will finish the series, just hoping the last few will be better than this offering.

Associate
Currently reading the 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, not my usual choice of book, but waiting on my replacement kindle being delivered so I can get stuck back into the George Smiley series.

Man of Honour
Bookless at the moment so decided to read some of the StarWars books. Started with the Thrawn Trilogy, now reading the Jedi academy trilogy, they are really quite poor. :(

Need to find some new stuff.
I wouldn't read any more in that case. As those are some of the best.
They're aimed at teenagers so they're never going to be hugely complicated.

Soldato
Bookless at the moment so decided to read some of the StarWars books. Started with the Thrawn Trilogy, now reading the Jedi academy trilogy, they are really quite poor. :(

Need to find some new stuff.

Is the Jedi Academy the Kevin J Anderson one. Because I seem to remember that being terrible. That guy is such a hack everything he touches he ruins, his Dune prequels were awful canon destroying crap.
The Thrawn trilogy though is very good, such good plot development, a similar plot would have been a much better basis for a new film trilogy than the terrible Disney effort.

I'm re-reading the Joe Abercrombie First Law Trilogy, on the second book "Before They Are Hanged" and loving it. Looking forward to book 3 for more Bloody Nine madness.

Permabanned
Is the Jedi Academy the Kevin J Anderson one. Because I seem to remember that being terrible. That guy is such a hack everything he touches he ruins, his Dune prequels were awful canon destroying crap.
The Thrawn trilogy though is very good, such good plot development, a similar plot would have been a much better basis for a new film trilogy than the terrible Disney effort.

Yeah it is, its not great. Just smashing through it to get it done, pretty quick read. :)

Associate
Currently reading Infinite Jest, is there a way to hide the percentage you're through a book on a kindle as it's depressing sitting down for 20 minutes and not seeing it increase :D

Open your book and bring up the menu at the top - tap the Aa option, then Reading Settings.

Here you will find the reading progress options - which you can set to none. :)

Associate
I've just finally finished reading the Wheel of Time-series. Took quite some time but now I can look forward to really start some new books. Not sure which one I will pick up next but got a few books in my bookshelf. A couple of them I've read before (but in Swedish) and now I'm tempted to read them in English.
The books that is in the next of the list to be read will be one of the following ones:
Thomas Harris - The Silence of the Lambs
Harper Lee - How To Kill A Mockingbird
Patrick Ness - A Monster Calls
Jack Kerouac - The Road
Elizabeth Kostova - The Shadow Land
Gregory David Roberts - The Mountain Shadow
or one of the Murakami books I haven't read yet.

Associate
Currently read 'The Regiment: 15 Years in the SAS' by 'Rusty Firmin' (lol). Actually quite enjoying it. It's alluded to something that a friend of a friend mentioned about another famous military author.

Back
Top Bottom