What book are you reading...

Associate
Finished listening to the latest of The Expanse novels. Excellent throughout.

Now moving on to Ravencry by Ed McDonald. Sequel to Blackwing. First book was really good, highly recommend it if you're a partial to a bit of grimdark / steampunk.

Also recently been through two no-dig gardening veg books by Charles Dowding "How to create a new vegetable garden" and "Organic gardening the natural no dig way". I preferred the latter, older book which is more of a background and starting manual, rather than the first, newer book which is more like a collection of his experimental data.

Lastly, recently read a hydroponics veg book (no sniggering in the back), it was written very much from an American perspective with loads of daylight seemingly expected and just not very good as a book overall. The author just repeated the same chapter over and over for about half the book for all the different hydroponic methods, they stated the intention was to compare and contrast the similarities but I think it was just to flesh out page numbers. Still on the lookout for a good hydroponic reference book that starts from the basis that you'll be growing inside and need lights and so on.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got these two beauties in the mail :). Noddy Holder is no longer lead singer for the great Brit rock band of the 1970s, SLADE, but he and his antics on stage will never be forgotten.
images

images

Associate
Just got these two beauties in the mail :). Noddy Holder is no longer lead singer for the great Brit rock band of the 1970s, SLADE, but he and his antics on stage will never be forgotten.

One of the best parts of The Radcliffe And Maconie show when they were on Radio 2 was when Noddy popped in for a chat every few weeks.
Since moving to 6 Music, he's only been on to promote things. Suspect he is not appropriate for 6 Music...

I need to buy these myself...

Associate
One of the best parts of The Radcliffe And Maconie show when they were on Radio 2 was when Noddy popped in for a chat every few weeks.
Since moving to 6 Music, he's only been on to promote things. Suspect he is not appropriate for 6 Music...

I need to buy these myself...
Yeah, I guess he's not. Anyway, Noddy has been thru most of the rock motions and he knows what makes the rock industry tick alright :):)

Soldato
Almost through the 2nd expanse book and just ordered the 3rd.

I have to say i'm impressed at just how much of the book was in the TV show, they haven't really missed out anything. My only grumble would be some stuff is a bit more abrupt on the TV show due to budget constraints. I'm sure that won't be a problem now Amazon has the rights though.

Man of Honour
Finished reading Inverted World by Christopher Priest last night. Top notch science fiction, been reading through the list of Gollancz classic science fiction novels.

That book is one of the genuinely original SF books, with probably my all-time favourite opening line. And as I've said elsewhere, reading all the Gollancz classic books is the best way to take in the majority of SF classics. I'm currently on The Dark Forest, the second of the trilogy by Lui Cixin started with The Three Body Problem. The slightly stilted style (common to many translations) is a bit of an issue, but it's interesting to see a new perspective.

Associate
Ooo
That book is one of the genuinely original SF books, with probably my all-time favourite opening line. And as I've said elsewhere, reading all the Gollancz classic books is the best way to take in the majority of SF classics. I'm currently on The Dark Forest, the second of the trilogy by Lui Cixin started with The Three Body Problem. The slightly stilted style (common to many translations) is a bit of an issue, but it's interesting to see a new perspective.

Oooooh I loved that book. I skipped the first one as I couldn't find an audio book (came out later so I should probably go back) but The Dark Forest was excellent. I've been recommending it to all my friends who are even remotely into sci-fi, eventually someone will read it too

Soldato
Currently reading through the third book of Joe Haldeman's Peace and War omnibus.

Really enjoyed the first two with a twist on the normal "space fights" approach thanks to relativity.

Also thinking about the Expanse books for my kindle (I tend to buy one offs as a "proper" book and series on the kindle).

Man of Honour
Also thinking about the Expanse books for my kindle (I tend to buy one offs as a "proper" book and series on the kindle).

Can't stress enough how good these are - totally do it :)

Over the last month or so I've been reading:
Lems' Solaris - really struggled with this, so hard to understand and follow sometimes, but ultimately enjoyed it
Ann Leckie's Imperial Radch series (Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword and Ancillary Mercy) - again a great series with some fantastic concepts and characters. The TV adaption should be interesting (if it gets off the ground)
N. K. Jemisin's Broken Earth (The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate & The Stone Sky) - A bit of a weird one, geology centric fantasy but very enjoyable (just started the last book)

Man of Honour
Can't stress enough how good these are - totally do it :)

Over the last month or so I've been reading:
Lems' Solaris - really struggled with this, so hard to understand and follow sometimes, but ultimately enjoyed it
Ann Leckie's Imperial Radch series (Ancillary Justice, Ancillary Sword and Ancillary Mercy) - again a great series with some fantastic concepts and characters. The TV adaption should be interesting (if it gets off the ground)
N. K. Jemisin's Broken Earth (The Fifth Season, The Obelisk Gate & The Stone Sky) - A bit of a weird one, geology centric fantasy but very enjoyable (just started the last book)

All good calls, although I felt that the Broken Earth books got weaker as they went along. I've just finished Leckie's latest, Providence. I can't help feeling that it was written as a YA book, but as often happens with F&SF, it was marketed as adult.

Man of Honour
All good calls, although I felt that the Broken Earth books got weaker as they went along. I've just finished Leckie's latest, Providence. I can't help feeling that it was written as a YA book, but as often happens with F&SF, it was marketed as adult.

Just bought Providence as i was checking the names of the books and it popped up - thats a shame but still nice to have an extra dose of the universe. Hard decision now is do i read that or Richard Morgan's new book Thin Air next...

Man of Honour
Saying a book is YA is not a criticism - the best YA is the equal of the best of any other type of book. The Earthsea books are YA, and they are (IMNSHO) the best fantasies of all time. But I don't like the publisher's dishonesty.

Associate
I'm just start the first book in the Expanse series. About 50 pages in and really enjoying it - it has a Battlestar Galactica feel to everything that's going on.

Permabanned
I'm on the last book of the The Night's Dawn trilogy.

Hamilton is easily one of most fluent and descriptive writers I've ever read. His ability to draw imagery in the mind is unsurpassed. Coupled with his hybrid Space opera come Horror mix and you got a whole modern classic right there...if you're into that sort of thing :)

Back
Top Bottom