What book are you reading...

Associate
Nice.

I enjoyed the other 3 very much. Order of preference: River of Pain, Out of The Shadows, Sea of Sorrow.

Maybe, it's been a while since I last read them. They're all worth reading, that's for sure.

Have you read the Rage War series:
  1. Predator: Incursion (2015)
  2. Alien: Invasion (2016)
  3. Alien Vs Predator: Armageddon (2016)
I read, and mostly enjoyed the first 2. Never got round to reading the 3rd.:rolleyes::p

Soldato
Nice.

I enjoyed the other 3 very much. Order of preference: River of Pain, Out of The Shadows, Sea of Sorrow.

Maybe, it's been a while since I last read them. They're all worth reading, that's for sure.

The strength of cold forge is a totally different protagonist style from the other novels, a true anti hero.

Have you read the Rage War series:
  1. Predator: Incursion (2015)
  2. Alien: Invasion (2016)
  3. Alien Vs Predator: Armageddon (2016)
I read, and mostly enjoyed the first 2. Never got round to reading the 3rd.:rolleyes::p

I think Rage War is based on the dark horse comics so never gave it a read as i've got all the Aliens and Predator comics already. However if thats not the case i'll definitely give it a go.

Associate
Started the Revelation Space series by the same author. 3.5 books in. Found 1 and 3 really good, but 2 (Chasm City) was the weakest of the 3 so far for me - a bit Jack Reacher in space. About halfway through Absolution Gap and this is back up to the quality of the first book.

Soldato
Just finished a re-read of the first Robin Hood trilogy after being distinctly unimpressed when I read 10 or so years ago. It was a better on a re-read but still dislike how useless and whiny the protagonist is.

However, it has done enough for me to pick up the fourth book which I wasn't even close to doing first time round.

Before that though reading a few of the George's Simenon Inspector Maigret mystery books, always a light but engaging read as a palate cleanser.

Soldato
Started the Revelation Space series by the same author. 3.5 books in. Found 1 and 3 really good, but 2 (Chasm City) was the weakest of the 3 so far for me - a bit Jack Reacher in space. About halfway through Absolution Gap and this is back up to the quality of the first book.

Ah, I loved all of the revelation space books. Strange you didn't enjoy chasm city, thought it was fantastic. Although it was more of a stand alone story set in the same universe. Of the actual trilogy, I felt the second one was the strongest. If you like Reynolds, definitely read house of suns. Pushing ice is great too.

Soldato
Just started book 3 of The Painted Man or The Demon Cycle really enjoying them all.

Some of the writing gets a little repetitive but the story as a whole is fantastic.

Soldato
Do Audiobooks count? Amassed quite a collection on Audible so catching up now, just about finished Principles by Ray Dalio and will be jumping to The Rational Male.

Soldato
Just started book 3 of The Painted Man or The Demon Cycle really enjoying them all.

Some of the writing gets a little repetitive but the story as a whole is fantastic.
Finished the five book series now and enjoyed every minute of it, would thoroughly recommend!

There are a few short stories set in the same world to fill a void while waiting for the sequel trilogy to be written.

Associate
Finally finished with The Expanse. Enjoyable series but some of the books are a slog in places. I found book 8 to be a bit of a struggle.

Now moving on to Ollie Ollerton's book, Break Point.

Associate
Could anyone recommend me a good fantasy audio book or two ? ive not really look into books for ages unless something huge pops up and everyone knows about it so I dont really know what to checkout

I have a free trial with audible but I dont know what to check out.

please not harry potter or LOTR i have see all the movies a number of times,
Probably a bit late now, but I'd say The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. I enjoyed the book anyway but it has one of the best narrations I've ever heard from Rupert Degas, I thought he was brilliant.

Associate
During the last week I've read Sylvain Neuvel's Themis trilogy (Sleeping Giants, Waking Gods and Only Humans). Really liked the story and the way it was written and presented.
I also finally read Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult. I got the book as a secret santa gift at work and took a while for me to pick it up. The main story is about a American-African midwife who gets into a problem when something happens to a newly born baby. Not a book I would usually have picked up, but I really enjoyed it and in some ways opened up the eyes for the problem American-African people have in the US.

Soldato
Salvation - Peter F Hamilton. A new series by Hamilton, and a return to form! It's not explicitly stated as a Confederation book, but it does include his ubiquitous wormhole travel a bit in the future. The book has an interesting structure, with the main characters telling stories about their past experiences as they all travel together to investigate a crashed space ship on another planet. We learn about the characters as well as the things that got them where they are. These various background stories are great, including things like a murder investigation that happens in a portal house, where every room's doorway is actually a wormhole to a different location. The living room is in New York, the kid's bedroom in China, the pool is on the moon, the dining room in the Arctic, etc. As well as all these tales of the past, there's also an interspersed storyline that takes place many years in the future, giving hints and ideas of the consequences of the actions that the characters in the present storyline are about to take. It's well written, clever, and sharp, and I'm looking forwards to the next book in the trilogy.

Octavia Gone - Jack McDevitt. Alex Benedict book 8. In this one his returned uncle gets in on the act, having his own space-archaeology adventure. At the same time, Alex himself is trying to solve the mystery of a research station at a black hole where every member of the science team disappeared years before. This was okay if you like the Alex Benedict books, but it's not one of the best, and feels like a by-the-numbers sci-fi archaeological adventure mystery that McDevitt has made his own genre.

Children Of Ruin - Adrian Tchaikovsky. The followup to Children of Time. A spaceship from Kern's World full of humans and the uplifted spiders from the first book is sent out exploring, and finds another terraformed world, this time populated by an almost incomprehensible octopus population who are fighting their own kind and a terror from another world. It's kind of the same story as the first book, just with a new and interesting alien population, and the alien they are up against. Like the first book, it follows both a present story, and a past story of how the previous Earth crew terraformed a planet and ended up creating an intelligent race to populate it.

Soldato
Simon R. Green - Something from the NightSide.

Discovered Urban Fantasy a few years ago with the Dresden Files. They have become one of my favorite series of books ever. Have been trying out various books but I haven't found anything near as good as the Dresden Files.

Lately someone recommended the Nightside books from Simon Green. I am nearly finished the first book, Something from the NightSide, and it hasn't really engaged me yet. People have said that the first book is only world builder, that the stories and characters get better. But, nothing about the first book makes me want to explore further. John Taylor seems like he is some kind of Deus Ex Machina. I don't know if it's poking fun at the genre or what. I am not sure about the style of writing either. It's first person and the main character is a detective. It's done in a 60's film noir kind of way. You know, "the dame walked into my office, I could tell she was trouble. But trouble is my middle name" etc. etc.

Associate
The Man Who Made It Snow by Max Mermelstein

Synopsis:

This is the true story of "the only American alive ever admitted to the inner circle of the Colombian cocaine cartel". Max Mermelstein is in the Federal Witness Protection Program for turning against the cartel and his role as the key witness against the Colombian drug kingpins.

Product Description:
A personal account of the Medellin cocaine cartel and its U.S. operations is offered by an American insider who, from 1978 to 1985, was the Columbian cartel's "Miami connection"

Great book but i prefer Jon Roberts
American Desperado: My life as a Cocaine Cowboy

Soldato
Rotherweird. It might actually be genius. I’ve read lots of acclaimed authors and been impressed but I knew they were good beforehand. This is rare in that it’s amazing and I didn’t know that when I bought it.

Adult Potter meets Pratchett really great modern fantasy.

Soldato
Peter Grant-Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.

After been disappointed with the Nightside decided to give Urban fantasy another go. It's another Series recommended for people who like the Dresden Files. Nearly finished book 1, Rivers of London, and I have to say I am really enjoying it. I think I prefer books where the magic exists alongside us not having to travel to somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom