What book are you reading...

Associate
Lately, I have become disjointed from the usual tripe on TV, regardless of watching so little of it in the first place. On top of that, I have not properly played any 360 in a while as well! With a ton of fantastic games that are waiting to be completed.

Last night, I got in touch with my girly side, made a hot choc, marshmallows and opened up a book and stretched out on the sofa...

Anyone into any good books at the moment?

ags
Currently reading 'The Family' by Ed Sanders, about Charles Manson etc

Associate
The Road is a great book. Cormac McCarthy has a unique writing style, but he is up there with the finest authors of the past 100 years. I personally like Ken Follet, but they are very different types of authors!

Associate
The Road is a great book. Cormac McCarthy has a unique writing style, but he is up there with the finest authors of the past 100 years. I personally like Ken Follet, but they are very different types of authors!
McCarthy would change his style with each book (or series) to emphasise the story. No Country for Old Men was written cinematically, and I always think that the Coen's did not adapt the novel for screen. It felt like they just gave the actors and cinematographers the book. Blood Meridian was written with little punctuation, with a paragraph being one sentence without commas. Takes a while to get your brain into fully understanding it.

The Road's sparse and dreamlike prose makes it feel like a bad hallucination, dethatched from the world, until brutal reality kicks in.

Soldato

Star Wars: Thrawn

Started this on Thursday night to get a bit of back story on Thrawn before Ahsoka premieres (I'm watching Rebels for the first time as well and currently on season 2 so no Thrawn yet).

It's got hold of me so much that I'm a third through already, so interesting reading about the Chiss, imperial politics and his strategic mind, definitely the best of the new canon I've read so far.

Soldato
Finished off Well of Ascension yesterday - Good book overall started slow, picked up for 50 or so pages then got slow again until the end, the politically issues in got very boring for me but I powered through and it was well worth it, the ending was aweseome and unlike Final Empire, I closed the book knowing exactly what to expect in the 3rd book Hero of Ages, which I ordered from blackwells last thursday and it still hasn't arrived. My impatience got the best of me and I bought the kindle copy for my ipad and I'm already a third through! May end up finishing the ebook before my actual copy even arrives!

First books I've read in a long time but Sanderson seems to be very good writer, he drops so many clues early on then when the penny drops later on I'm just sat their thinking "how the hell did I miss that?!?" and his general lore building Is very griping.

I've heard very good things about the Stormlight Archive saga as well so looking forward to getting to that part of the story. Just have to hope the rest all turn up before I finish HOA or I'll have to buy another ebook dupe.

Soldato
I love Sanderson's writing. HoA regards with long after finishing it.
I also really enjoyed The Reckoners series. It'll probably seen like a tame version of The Boys nowadays but I thought it was great when I read them.

Soldato
I love Sanderson's writing. HoA regards with long after finishing it.
I also really enjoyed The Reckoners series. It'll probably seen like a tame version of The Boys nowadays but I thought it was great when I read them.

Yeah I’ve had those recommended as well but in all honesty superhero just doesn’t appeal to me anymore. Even the boys I can’t say I enjoyed to watch so will likely give that a miss.

Will be checking out his sci stuff though after this though, skyward series or whatever it is called.

I know his plans for the mistborn eras after more future based as well so looking forward to when those release.

Associate
Started reading the idiot. Got to about 200 pages in and decided it's not for me. (I actually decided it wasn't for me after 20 pages but tried to push on.)
Now reading charity shop detective agency as it was on my prime list.

Soldato
I finished Branson: Behind The Mask today.

It was absolute rubbish. The worst thing he could say was that Branson is a cut throat businessman and his cuddly image is deliberately misleading. Well, duh, as the kids say...

Last edited:
Soldato
Re-reading Blood Meridian. One of my favourite novels ever. Second time round it’s definitely lost some of its shock factor which is a shame, but damn can he write some good sentences :p

Any other good dark westerns/neo westerns out there worth reading?

Associate
Re-reading Blood Meridian. One of my favourite novels ever. Second time round it’s definitely lost some of its shock factor which is a shame, but damn can he write some good sentences :p

Have you read on Larry McMurty's books? The Lonesome Doves series is brilliant, but I have a soft spot for Anything For Bill (Billy the Kid), and Buffalo Girls (Calamity Jane). Both were real people and whilst the books are fiction, they are based on extensive research.

Forgot to ask, have you read No Country for Old Men? A modern western but one of the best out there.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks @hood1971. Not read any Larry McMurty so I shall check him out. I’ve read most of Cormac McArthy’s other books but funnily enough not NCFOM because I loved the film so much. But I think it’s been long enough that I could give it a whirl, it does get a lot of praise.

Associate
Thanks @hood1971. Not read any Larry McMurty so I shall check him out. I’ve read most of Cormac McArthy’s other books but funnily enough not NCFOM because I loved the film so much. But I think it’s been long enough that I could give it a whirl, it does get a lot of praise.
Had similar feelings about seeing the film, as I enjoyed the book so much. But it is a great adaptation, up there with Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. When that film came out I avoided it for years as King's novella moved me so much.

Soldato
Salvation - Peter F Hamilton - another different take on wormhole society. Structure is a little different to some of his commonwealth novels but I'm enjoying it. It took me quite a while to get around the non-gendered pronouns for some of the characters who are legitimately genetically not male or female, but eventually I just skimmed over the words when those characters are in the chapter. Still it is nowhere as distracting as reading Feersum Enjin by Iain M Banks which remains firmly in the unfinished head **** category. Anyway the book has taken quite a while to get going it wasn't as immediately enticing as Pandora's Star or The Reality Disfunction but enjoying it now.

Associate

Other one that just popped into my head is The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt. He loves twisting language - the title refers to bothers Eli and Charlie Sisters.

Soldato
Salvation - Peter F Hamilton - another different take on wormhole society. Structure is a little different to some of his commonwealth novels but I'm enjoying it. It took me quite a while to get around the non-gendered pronouns for some of the characters who are legitimately genetically not male or female, but eventually I just skimmed over the words when those characters are in the chapter. Still it is nowhere as distracting as reading Feersum Enjin by Iain M Banks which remains firmly in the unfinished head **** category. Anyway the book has taken quite a while to get going it wasn't as immediately enticing as Pandora's Star or The Reality Disfunction but enjoying it now.
I love most of Hamiltons books, I've read nearly all of them. I have tried to read Salvation twice now and just put it down at the same point. I just can't get into it. It seems much more generic in its characterisation and I just couldn't get on with the silly pronouns. Maybe there's a good story in there somewhere but I just couldn't be bothered to try and find it in the end.

Regarding Feersum Enjin, I do have that book, but bought it without realising it was all written phonetically :p I had already tried to read one like that (Ridley Walker) and gave up in disgust :p

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Warhammer 40k - The Great Devourer - Leviathan Omnibus - It was slow going, hoping it would pick up as Guy Haley is normally a pretty good writer.

Back
Top Bottom