What camera? it’s been a while

Soldato
OP
Took a little look at an A7 body the other day and was quite impressed with the size/feel of it and the more I read about the A7III the more I'm drawn to it but I'm not sure of that's just a case of me wanting a new gadget. :p

As I'm enjoying video a little as well I've decided to cut back on my still photography gear and sell off my studio lights and other associated bulky gear. Leaving me with the following Canon kit:-

5DmkII
24-105L f4 IS
50mm f1.8
85mm f1.8 USM
17-40L f4 (which needs repairing and I don't really use regardless)
580EX II Speedlite
430 EX II Speedlite

Decisions, decisions :confused:

Soldato
The sensors are smaller so they are not great with noise handling and dynamic range is not as good as a full frame sensor for obvious reasons.
Actually DxOMark gives later 16MP and of course 20MP Four Thirds sensors half+ stops more dynamic range than in that 5D MkII.
While not the greatest most newer Four Thirds sensors aren't as bad as people claim.
Though that old 12MP sensor of early decade was certainly lacking with its seriously outdated mediocre when new tech.

Even 1" sensor gets better DxOMark score for dynamic range.

It was discussed a bit in Screeeechs thread, 10k lenses...5k bodies...its beyond affordable for me. I make good money and glad I can fund this photography "habit" but that is too much :) - If I had the cash I would be all over it. But yeah, I don't :p :)
Aren't you forgetting also that assistant/Sherpa to carry equipment?

Not much of systems in which you could put f/1.8 fisheye, 120mm FOV macro lens and three zooms from 16mm to 800mm field of view range into this:
http://www.kata-bags.com/lightri-318-ul-for-pro-dslr-w-70-200mm-lens-2-lenses.htm

Caporegime
Actually DxOMark gives later 16MP and of course 20MP Four Thirds sensors half+ stops more dynamic range than in that 5D MkII.
While not the greatest most newer Four Thirds sensors aren't as bad as people claim.

I think it comes down to entirely what you're used to.

I personally, don't find my m43 sensor a limit in any way for the type of shooting I do. I've been using it for over 3 years now and have really enjoyed it. Before that I had a 5D MkIII but I didn't really have a choice but swap due to going travelling. So I got used to it very quickly and it's definitely allowed me to rediscover the fun and enjoyment of photography once more.

The sensors are a bit noisy. But they do have some tricks which improves them. But check out stuff from King4ADay or my latest stuff in the landscapes thread. Very very capable cameras.

I think they get snubbed out by many gear "snobs" as they can't trade blows with full frame cameras. But when not pixel peeping I doubt many would tell the difference to be completely frank.

Soldato
OP
Still researching the A7III and becoming more and more impressed, also looking into lens options to begin with and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD is getting cracking reviews. Seems like they would make replacement for my usual 5DmkII / 24-105L combo, even with the additional weight that comes with getting the extra stop from the glass this setup would still be smaller and 23% lighter than I'm used to.

Caporegime
Still researching the A7III and becoming more and more impressed, also looking into lens options to begin with and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD is getting cracking reviews. Seems like they would make replacement for my usual 5DmkII / 24-105L combo, even with the additional weight that comes with getting the extra stop from the glass this setup would still be smaller and 23% lighter than I'm used to.

Get one, it's great.

8bQSXoZ.jpg

Caporegime
Seriously, coming from the 5D2, you can tell the camera is miles ahead in every way possible, everything has got better and the AF would seem like wizardry. The size that a lot of people complaint about, I find putting on a Lim's Leather case solves it. It adds comfort, length without too much weight. Or you can get the L-Bracket by Smallrig and not use the side bracket.

You can either get an adaptor and continue to all your lenses but I would get native for the best experience, you can get like for like with what you have but it will cost you probably double to replace after selling them.

Soldato
OP
You can either get an adaptor and continue to all your lenses but I would get native for the best experience, you can get like for like with what you have but it will cost you probably double to replace after selling them.
I've considered an adaptor but reviews on those whilst positive do say they have their drawbacks so i was thinking go with the new body and Tamron lens, in parallel sell off my Canon kit when and as by which time I would have a better understanding if there is anything I felt I needed in addition to the Tamron.

Soldato
Heading into town tomorrow to check out the A7iii, been offered £554 for my Canon 1300d, 70-200mm f/2.8, 18-55mm kit lens and the cheap 75-300mm lens.

Thought about renting one for a week?

Caporegime
Heading into town tomorrow to check out the A7iii, been offered £554 for my Canon 1300d, 70-200mm f/2.8, 18-55mm kit lens and the cheap 75-300mm lens.

Thought about renting one for a week?

Are you renting because you want to try it out or renting because you have a project to use it with?

Because I don't think a week is enough to really appreciate this camera, for one thing out of the box you need to customise it, even if you are an existing Sony user, almost all the buttons can be assigned to do what you want so to be able to customise it for a feature that you want is vital on how much you enjoy the camera. I can tell you now even after 6 months, I don't think I have found my perfect arrangement, always thinking there must be a better or more concise way. For example in the Canon there is a rate button on the left side so I put that on the Sony but after about a month I realise that isn't really useful and now it is my button to turn on and off Face Detect quickly.

I am not trying to discourage you to renting and I realise this is a lot of money to spend on 1 body, but my opinion is that it takes longer than a week to get used to this camera, especially if is your first Sony A7.

Soldato
Are you renting because you want to try it out or renting because you have a project to use it with?

Because I don't think a week is enough to really appreciate this camera, for one thing out of the box you need to customise it, even if you are an existing Sony user, almost all the buttons can be assigned to do what you want so to be able to customise it for a feature that you want is vital on how much you enjoy the camera. I can tell you now even after 6 months, I don't think I have found my perfect arrangement, always thinking there must be a better or more concise way. For example in the Canon there is a rate button on the left side so I put that on the Sony but after about a month I realise that isn't really useful and now it is my button to turn on and off Face Detect quickly.

I am not trying to discourage you to renting and I realise this is a lot of money to spend on 1 body, but my opinion is that it takes longer than a week to get used to this camera, especially if is your first Sony A7.
I'm not renting :p I'll buy it if I can get a good price on it. :)

It was more a suggestion to the op to see if he liked it. :)

Soldato
Decision made to go with the Sony/Tamron combo, price check threads for my existing kit posted and also emailed WEX and a couple of other to quote on P/X.
I ordered the Sony A7iii last night but can't decide between the 28-75 and the 85mm 1.8, you buying just 1 lens for now?

Soldato
OP
I ordered the Sony A7iii last night but can't decide between the 28-75 and the 85mm 1.8, you buying just 1 lens for now?
Yeah I have a holiday coming up in a few weeks which will give me a good opportunity to play with the camera across various subjects and get a feeling of what I may or may not need (..well want).

Back
Top Bottom