What car do you drive and why?

Soldato
Current car: Mondeo ST24
Why: I bought it about 6 years ago, as I expected quite a performance hike from a 1.8i; I now know this not to be the case, but I really like the styling of the car and the sound of the V6, so have kept it and am basically running it into the ground.

Next car: A Vauxhall of some kind, as it will be a company car, I doubt I'd buy another 'private' car again, as cars are only a convenience to me now – I have the R1 for my speed and entertainment fixes and that beats pretty much any car on the road :D

Scort.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
current: Seat leon cupra 4
a diesel makes sense (unfortunately) outside the UK
wanted a reletively practical car with a bit of poke, and 155bhp mondeos were too expensive.
the 4wd was a massive bonus as i knew i'd be in norway for a year

next: something with a large petrol engine. however, due to financial reasons i suspect this won't be happening for a few years yet :(

Associate
Current car: 2004 Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 LS
Why: Was given it, and it's marginally better than the 850 in that everything still works.

Next car: Probably another boring cruiser once the Vectra dies.

Associate
Current 1998 Focus 1.8 Zetec, MR2 mk1

Why? Focus was brought as I left uni as the Polo was literally falling apart. I was considering Mondeo's, but spotted this one cheap. Got at a real bargain price 4 years ago. At the moment it costs peanuts to keep on the road, put 40k on it in the time. Just jumped to 20-25k /year and its taking without issues. 38mpg on a run. Running this into the ground now.

The MR2, well thats the fun motor. Really not bothered about MPG or running costs.

Next Well having seen the state the Focus has got in through public car park morons.... Probably something like an ST220 + LPG conversion.

Soldato
2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 SXi. It's my first car so I wanted something reasonably affordable but still quite decent as I'll be keeping it for a few years. I really like it, it's nice to drive and I think it looks really good too.

Absolutely no idea what my next car will be.

Man of Honour
Current Car: 1991 Volvo 940 GL, because it was dirt cheap (£275)

They saw you coming! ;)

Volvo30.jpg

£150 :cool:

Soldato
Current car: Brava 1.6sx
Why: I really wanted to get rid of the Matiz, learning to drive in it has completly ****** it up. The Brava is so much more comfy and actually feels like I'm moving while driving it.

Next car: Not sure really, hoping this car will last a while. Would love an Alfa 159, will probably settle for a Focus/Mondeo :)

Associate
Current Car: MY00 UK Subaru Impreza Turbo (tastefully modified) ~300bhp/~1250kg's :)

Why: I had a warm hatch in the shape of an MkII Punto HGT abarth (1.8 16v) before but I got bored of that and wanted something with more go. Most hot hatches at that time didn't really do it for me and weren't really *that* much faster than the Punto. So I test drove an Impreza. Within two straights and a roundabout I had already made my mind up :D

Next car: Either a newer Impreza STI, Z4 3.0si or I may even get something crazy like a VXT depending on where we and missus move to in the near future and it's proximity to work.

Soldato
Current cars:

BMW E38 7-Series (728) and a mk1 Mazda MX-5. The BMW is the ultra-commuter ****, better at the job than anything else you can buy for just over a grand on the S plate. Uber amounts of toys and so comfy to drive. When you do a 60-mile round trip on dual carriageway A roads it just makes your quality of life so much nicer.

The MX5 (1996 MK1 1.8iS) is a world of fun to drive and a superb weekend car, not a great deal better for the money imho. The wife drives that during the week and me on the weekend. Or if I am bored I take it to work :D

Associate
Current Car: 2005 Honda Civic Sport

Why? Had a Rover 25 before that was doing ok, but had a few problems. Now that I'm settled in a new job and living at home I thought I would get something a bit nicer. The Civic Sport has the proper bodykit so I think it looks very nice, performance is fine for what I want it to do, its economical, and as its a 1.6 it's not too bad on my insurance (22 years old, held a full license for 1 year and 0 NCB's)

Next Car? Not sure yet, I've only had my Honda for a week or so, but I intend to keep it for a few years.

Last edited:
Caporegime
1.6 focus auto
330d sport auto

focus is great for the wife, however i think its time i bought her a really crap car as the areas she is working in are crap. She has come home with key marks on it on 2 occasions now.
330d - tempted to sell if im going ot be home these days or not working away. have no need for it. If i get a job working away again soon then I wont get rid!

Soldato
Ford Focus 2.0 Ghia : Wanted something with a reasonable bit of poke (coming from a 1.4 first car) that wasnt a fortune to insure or run. A couple of small mods (clear indicators, Koni springs, 17" OZ wheels) and it looks nice and handles well, though I'm eager for a bit more power.

Next car: No idea, currently saving for a house, so might be a while :( Would like to think something a bit daft short term, while Im still free of seating constraints.

Back
Top Bottom