What case are you using for 40XX series GPU's?

Soldato
I'll be upgrading my 3080 Zotac to either a 3090 Ti (aib) or 4080/90 (aib) providing I can get one, or am mad enough to spend that much (I am).
My current case is a Corsair 680X which can accomodate up to 330mm GPU, and thats with removing the front case fans!
So, whatever I do, I'm going to need a new case.
OCUK have usefully put up section on their website which lists cases suitable for 40 series cards, and the only ones that really tick my boxes are the Lian Li 011D EVO mid or OL11 dynamic XL, as I'd prefer as much dual chamber space as possible to hide my RGB controllers, wiring etc.
Unfortunatley this isn't a cost that I'd factored in, so would prefer not to spend £240 on a case if I can help it.
Thoughts?

Aluminium ballistic grade flight case with handcuff and multipoint 3FA lock given the price and rarity of these things surely? At this rate bitfenix will have to relaunch the old shinobi XL. It swallowed my 3070 3fan with ease and that's without taking out the 2nd HDD caddy. I think it goes up to 450mm with that removed

Last edited:
There are more cases than that which can accommodate the 40 series cards.
I know for a fact my Lian Li Dynamic Mini can because I had a 3090 FE in there for a bit and there was still plenty of space left. The list seems to be just suggestions of popular cases

Last edited:
I'd imagine a list of cases that are 40-series compatible, are going to be on the basis that EVERY 40-series card fits, and not some or most do.

So theres going to be cases that can take a 4090 FE, which wont be featured on that list because it cant handle a 4090 Strix OC EXTREME bla bla cos its freaking huge.
It also means there may well be good reason to consider size of the card as a significant factor, because it makes a difference what you can sling it into, if its the difference between paying £150 for a case you like, or £250.

Personally im waiting for the O11D Evo XL (hopefully Dec/early '23) as that looks pretty much perfect for what im looking for, and its unlikely to hold my build up as im also waiting on Zen4 X3D, and hopefully something disruptive from AMD/RDNA3.

Fractal Design Torrent is fine for all the 4090s. I was previously using the torrent compact but that’s no good for most of the 4080s and all the 4090s.

I've got a Torrent Compact coming today! Although currently don't have plans to order a 4080/90 card.

There are some 4080 cards that will fit the torrent compact like the MSI Ventus series. It's a good case though I was really happy with it, hence my switch to the full size torrent.

Last edited:
Fractal Design Torrent is fine for all the 4090s. I was previously using the torrent compact but that’s no good for most of the 4080s and all the 4090s.
I was thinking about getting the Torrent but it looks more for an air cooler rather than an aio, especially with not being able to top mount a 360. Are you using an aio by any chance?

Any suggestions for a mid tower case that would fit a 4090 (or the like)? I currently have a Corsair Obsidian 800D that's a superb case and would easily fit one (or three), but it's decidedly oversized and looks ridiculous.

I'd like something smaller, still ATX in the mid tower size range that doesn't make me look like a 22 year old basement dweller. But I'd also like to keep it for a while which means supporting 340mm+ long cards the way things are going. The rest of my system is pretty standard: 240mm AIO, two 3.5 SDDs, 1000w EVGA EVO PSU.

Any suggestions for a mid tower case that would fit a 4090 (or the like)? I currently have a Corsair Obsidian 800D that's a superb case and would easily fit one (or three), but it's decidedly oversized and looks ridiculous.

I'd like something smaller, still ATX in the mid tower size range that doesn't make me look like a 22 year old basement dweller. But I'd also like to keep it for a while which means supporting 340mm+ long cards the way things are going. The rest of my system is pretty standard: 240mm AIO, two 3.5 SDDs, 1000w EVGA EVO PSU.
Coolermaster H500m Mesh. Turn the rgb on the 200mm fans off and it’s a very good case indeed.

Back
Top Bottom