What cooler for 8700k ?

Associate
Hello,

What are the recommendations for cooling an 8700k ?
I have a CoolerMaster Haf 932 advanced case which so far has been cooling my 2700k with HyperEvo 212.
Tried to reuse it but the heatsink bracket screws are solidly screwed into the standoff's I can't get them out...

Thinking of AIO but not sure if I can fit it at the top ? 2 x 120mm Corsair fans are mounted at the top currently. Does that mean I can fit a 240mm rad ? Another reason I was thinking of AIO is because of the simplicity and trying to avoid the issue like I have now with my 212 Evo.

BUA

BUA

Associate
Big air!

I would pick something like Noctua Nh-d15 over an AIO, will cool as well as an AIO and without the pump noise/possibility of failure/less expensive.

BUA

BUA

Associate
I have never read about the weight of this cooler being a problem.

Mounting this cooler is a piece of cake compared to the hyper.

About the only problem may be with ram clearance, if you have tall ram.

Check for compatibility, here https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp

Soldato
What BUA said. The only time I've seen motherboards damaged by big coolers were when owner didn't mount the cooler properly or they were seriously abused like shipping by courier or taking as luggage on a plane where their luggage handling gorillas have contests to see which one can throw boxes the highest and farthest. 45' is the max because that is the longest trailer they use. Saying that, our own OcUK ships built systems with big air coolers mounted and rarely has one damaged.

A good big air cooler is the easiest, coolest and quietest way forward. Some of the very best are Good old NH-D14, newer D15 and D15S, but the 15s' are not better cooling. Le Grand Macho RT is at least as good if not better than D15, as are Silver Arrow IB-E and TRUE Spirit 140 Power followed very closely by Mugen 5, PH-TC14PE, Archon IB-E an too many others to list. A good flowing case like yours will do well with a nice big air cooler

Associate
OP
What BUA said. The only time I've seen motherboards damaged by big coolers were when owner didn't mount the cooler properly or they were seriously abused like shipping by courier or taking as luggage on a plane where their luggage handling gorillas have contests to see which one can throw boxes the highest and farthest. 45' is the max because that is the longest trailer they use. Saying that, our own OcUK ships built systems with big air coolers mounted and rarely has one damaged.

A good big air cooler is the easiest, coolest and quietest way forward. Some of the very best are Good old NH-D14, newer D15 and D15S, but the 15s' are not better cooling. Le Grand Macho RT is at least as good if not better than D15, as are Silver Arrow IB-E and TRUE Spirit 140 Power followed very closely by Mugen 5, PH-TC14PE, Archon IB-E an too many others to list. A good flowing case like yours will do well with a nice big air cooler
Thank for the input @doyll ! Yeah the air flow in the case is amazing, hence it's in the name I guess. I had a quick look at prices and as BUA mentioned air cooling is cheaper which I'm happy. AIO always been of interest but the matter of reliability to me is more important which is why I'm going to stick with air.
Let's just hope OcUK or rainforest drops some sweet deals on the ones you have listed.

Soldato
Corsair platinum CLCs (CLC is a sub-group of AIO) are still the same basic CLC made by Asetek .. and they are not better than top tier air coolers. Biggest change is using better ML series fans. Performance is still on par with top tier air cooling and noise even with ML fans.

As I said before, top tier air coolers are the likes of NH-D15, NH-D15S, NH-U14S, Cryorig R1 Ultimate & Universal, Phanteks PH-TC14PE, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E, Silver Arrow TR4, Le Grand Macho RT, TRUE Spirit 140 Power, Scythe Fuma, Mugen 5, and the list goes on.

Soldato
If you fancy an AIO its worth watching this..

https://youtu.be/GHi5rGNaKfw
I know they say it's improved, but its just another asstek aluminum radiatored CLC with a pump flow rate about what a healthy young adult can **** after a couple of pints (40-60L/h) and ML RGB fans .. so better fans. For comparison arguably the most popular pump used in custom loops is the D5 rated up to 1500L/h. CLC pump are almost always audible even at idle. Air coolers with fans running below 800-900rpm are quieter than a very quiet room is (30-33dB). Almost all CLC failures are pump issues, and when pump dies system cannot be used until new cooler is installed. With air cooling only the fan can wear out and system still works at low load until another fan, any fan is installed .. like with rubber bands until new fan is in hand.

A good air cooler costs about half what that Corsair sells for, and will last far longer than we will ever use it, even if fan was to go bad they are lost cost.

Associate
A nice sexy AIO or a huge air cooler.... I know what I would pick. Each to their own, he mentioned he was thinking about AIO which is why I brought up the new corsair which is the best AIO at the moment.

Soldato
A nice sexy AIO or a huge air cooler.... I know what I would pick. Each to their own, he mentioned he was thinking about AIO which is why I brought up the new corsair which is the best AIO at the moment.
Much closer to the worst then best. Besides, it's a CLC, which is a sub-group of AIO. AIOs that are not CLCs have threaded fittings, fill port, copper radiator and pump that flow 2 or 4 times more coolant are better .. like Swiftech make, or the be quiet! Silent Loop made by Alphacool are way better than any of the Asetek CLCs like the ones Corsair sells.

Last edited:
Soldato
So a vid with lots of talking about which has better RGB is a great review? What you consider a 'good review' is very different from what I consider a good review, but if you are more interested in RGB bling ...

I did notice his temps were extreme at 101c with fans at 34dB ..or is not higher temp because CPU is throttling? But it is only 95c with fan making 61dB !! That is about 26-30dB louder than my system normally runs and 22-24dB louder than my system runs when stress testing both CPU and GPU.

Associate
Look at the OCUK one and you will see results vs other coolers lol. You dont like AIO's much do you? did they hurt you in some way..... :)

Soldato
Give me a link to some data showing CLCs performing better than air coolers. No, I don' like CLCs, but there are AIOs that are not CLC that I do like. No 'hurt' involved, just sound logic and common sense. I've been testing / using components for many many years and have tested/used lots of different components including both air coolers, component built custom loops as well as AIO sand CLCs and the results of testing and using all of them have proven time and again that air is the lowest cost and least work in setting up a good cooling and quiet system that will lasts many years. Custom loops do give a better cooling and will cool extreme overclocks better, but they also cost many times as much money. Running one generation new components on good air cooling costs much less than overclocking older generation components to same levels with a good custom loop to keep it cool because of the cost of custom loop. CLCs and even AIOs that are not CLC still cost more than good air cooling only a very few cool better, but they are just not as dependable a good air cooling is. So why pay more money for similar performance and less dependability?

CLC popularity came about because of advertising hype to people who don't know any better saying 'water cooling' and these inexperienced buyers think 'water cooling' is synonymous with custom loop 'water cooling' when the reality is that while CLCs do use water that is about all they really share in common. CLC pumps flow about as much as a healthy young adult ****** after a few pints (40-60L/h). As a comparison arguable the most popular pump used in custom loops, the D5 flows up to 1500L/h .. and just the bare pump cost about the same as a complete CLC costs. The radiators used in custom loops weight more empty with no fittings than a complete CLC does full of coolant .. and the total volume of coolant in a CLC is maybe a 1 cup.

Associate
Doyll the OP said he was thinking about an AIO, people offered there advise on owning an AIO like you did. The video i put a link up of from OCUK shows performance graphs with air coolers on it specifically the NH-D15 which gets out performed. If you prefer air coolers which cost less then AIO's then thats cool. But you seem to slate AIO's in most posts (as others have said) people like different things which is great. I prefer an AIO which out performs air, allows me to mount my GPU vertically and doesn't take up half my case which awful brown fans.

Soldato
Doyll the OP said he was thinking about an AIO, people offered there advise on owning an AIO like you did. The video i put a link up of from OCUK shows performance graphs with air coolers on it specifically the NH-D15 which gets out performed. If you prefer air coolers which cost less then AIO's then thats cool. But you seem to slate AIO's in most posts (as others have said) people like different things which is great. I prefer an AIO which out performs air, allows me to mount my GPU vertically and doesn't take up half my case which awful brown fans.

OC3D test equipment and proceedure:

Corsair H100i Pro AIO
Intel Kaby Lake i7 7700K @ 4.7 GHz
Asus Maximus VIII Ranger
2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Memory 3200MHz
CoolerMaster V650
Corsair Force GT 60GB
Coolermaster MasterCase Pro5

We use OCCT in Linpack X64, AVX compatible with all logical cores tested and 90% free memory utilised. The test is set up to run automatically with just a few clicks to set it going. A 10 minute idle followed by 30 minutes of testing and a 5-minute cool down is the order of the day and brings the total test time per clock speed to 45 minutes. To remove subjectivity in determining whether a CPU has failed, OCCT is set to stop the test and register a fail should the max temp exceed 80 degrees. As with the socket 2011, in testing we noted that if even just one of the cores exceeds 82 degrees OCCT halts the test and a fail is recorded.

Nothing said about what air temp is in room or into radiator / cooler of cooler being tested. Anyone who has done even a little case and cooler testing knows that the air temp into cooler after a few minutes is higher than room air temp, and depending on case, case fans, and case fan speed curves can easily be 20c above room ambinent .. the air temp into a radiator mounted as intake and heating the air inside of case even higher that is going into GPU .. but they don't publish what the GPU temp is, or what the case fan speed is, or anything but what the CPU temp is. Therefore the test data has little meaning, and at the very least can lead the uninformed reader/viewer to false believes .. like that CLCs are cooling better than air coolers when the reaility is only the CPU is cooler.

Back
Top Bottom