What did maggie do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Sequoia said:
And the Brown government (sorry, Blair government, under Brown's Chancellorship) have clobbered everybody's pension funds, extracting billions for the Exchequer.

Was that reasonable?

Of course not, but as dirtydog has said, i was merely countering his claim that only Labour are guilty of it.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
dirtydog said:
She was caught with her hand in the cookie jar - as you say, what else could she have done except own up! :) She may have been honest but her credibility vanished forever.
Indeed, though I half respect her for not trying to dodge it .... which would have been kinda hard I guess when you're a political chat show regular. :D

But I suspect most politicians would have hemm'd and haww'd and done their level best to dodge the issue or to come up with some whinging self-justification. At least she had the guts to say "You got me. It's a fair cop."

Her credibility in terms of political principle has vanished, but I'm more inclined to listen to what she says, even if I disagree with a large part of it. She has more crediblity, at least with me, than most politicians who won't even answer "What's your name?" without trying to evade the question. One of the things I detest about most politicians is that they won't call it as it is, even if it's uncomfortable. I end up not trusting a single word they say. In other words, politicians of any flavour don't have much credibility (in my eyes) in the first place, so it's kinda hard to lose it! ;) :D

Wise Guy
Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Visage's point was that Thatcher wasn't averse to fiddling things to make local tax lower in Tory areas, something which VIRII seemed to think only Labour did.
Ah, OK.

That'll teach me to nip into a thread like this when I'm pushed for time, and not read context carefully. :o

I'm off out again shortly, so probably ought to avoid this thread or I'll step on another verbal landmine. :D

Permabanned
Sequoia said:
Indeed, though I half respect her for not trying to dodge it .... which would have been kinda hard I guess when you're a political chat show regular. :D

But I suspect most politicians would have hemm'd and haww'd and done their level best to dodge the issue or to come up with some whinging self-justification. At least she had the guts to say "You got me. It's a fair cop."

Her credibility in terms of political principle has vanished, but I'm more inclined to listen to what she says, even if I disagree with a large part of it. She has more crediblity, at least with me, than most politicians who won't even answer "What's your name?" without trying to evade the question. One of the things I detest about most politicians is that they won't call it as it is, even if it's uncomfortable. I end up not trusting a single word they say. In other words, politicians of any flavour don't have much credibility (in my eyes) in the first place, so it's kinda hard to lose it! ;) :D

'Its not *my* name thats important, its the countless names that have been abandoned by Tony and his cronies, names that would be given a hand up, not a hand out, under a Tory government'

Permabanned
Sequoia said:
Ah, OK.

That'll teach me to nip into a thread like this when I'm pushed for time, and not read context carefully. :o

I'm off out again shortly, so probably ought to avoid this thread or I'll step on another verbal landmine. :D

:p

Just another word on Abbott, what annoys me is that she ripped into Blair and Harriet Harman for sending their kids to a private school... and then she went and did the same thing! :eek: The woman knows no shame!

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Visage's point was that Thatcher wasn't averse to fiddling things to make local tax lower in Tory areas, something which VIRII seemed to think only Labour did.

No he claimed Thatcher did it to council taxes which clearly is incorrect.
That is what I disputed, I still await a reply as to exactly what areas of local taxation she did meddle in.

Permabanned
Visage said:
Of course not, but as dirtydog has said, i was merely countering his claim that only Labour are guilty of it.

I claimed that they have deliberately made things unfair with council tax. No-one else has done so to my knowledge.

Permabanned
Probably been said before but Margaret Thatcher Milk Snatcher ! She stopped the free school milk, which was great as unbenowns* to me I was and am allergic to milk ;)

*how am I suppose to spell that, is it more than one word :confused:

Last edited:
Permabanned
Stephen7372 said:
Probably been said before but Margaret Thatcher Milk Snatcher ! She stop the free school milk, which was great as unbenowns to me I was and am allergic to milk ;)

Something has occured to me about our politicians, are they all referred to by things which rhyme with their names ?

Tony's cronies, Thatcher snatcher and so on.

Permabanned
VIRII said:
No he claimed Thatcher did it to council taxes which clearly is incorrect.
That is what I disputed, I still await a reply as to exactly what areas of local taxation she did meddle in.

OK, I'll explain it again.

The Thatcher government allowed local councils to raid up to 25% of their pension funds in order to reduce the taxes levied on residents. This lead to lower taxes at the cost of increasing long term pension provision problems.

Permabanned
Visage said:
OK, I'll explain it again.

The Thatcher government allowed local councils to raid up to 25% of their pension funds in order to reduce the taxes levied on residents. This lead to lower taxes at the cost of increasing long term pension provision problems.

Allowed all local councils to decide how they were going to spend their resources and arrange their finances.
We discussed this and I asked you if you felt locally elected government bodies should have the right to manage their finances. I thought you agreed that they should be allowed to. Similarly you could saythat Labour councils deliberately wasted money to make it more expensive ....
Finally the current situation is that National Govt effectively decide how much each place pays and how to subsidise each area which is why some areas pay far more than others despite managing the money far better than others. Why should my taxes go to support the mismanagement of other local councils ?

Permabanned
Stephen7372 said:
Probably been said before but Margaret Thatcher Milk Snatcher ! She stopped the free school milk, which was great as unbenowns* to me I was and am allergic to milk ;)

*how am I suppose to spell that, is it more than one word :confused:

unbeknownst :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom