• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do gamers actually think about Ray-Tracing?

Associate
Exactly. Is funny how people were so used to raster faking it, that when someone does it right it's being put down as fake.
Mean I've played control with RT on and honestly it never drew my attention.

Think that really is crux of the matter, for a lot of people turning it on, they just don't notice it as they are playing or go wow look at that shiny floor.

Soldato

Think that really is crux of the matter, for a lot of people turning it on, they just don't notice it as they are playing or go wow look at that shiny floor.
It's not just the shinny floor and... is not the only game with RT.

Caporegime

Kind of the way with all kinds of visual advancements though, you don't exactly stop to go oh look at that AO, tesselation etc. Same way for a lot of people they don't really notice 144HZ displays and it's only when they go back to not having these things, you really notice it. Same way all the flaws with raster stick out like a sore thumb now given how used to RT I am. If you had never shown me RT reflections, I would never have noticed what the issues with SSR were e.g.

eLSaUK6h.jpg

CoaLC4Yh.png

AVn8Mgch.png

rDgBuaRh.png

WS7OYJqh.jpg

And so on and so on, not to mention, reflections that magically disappear when you move your camera ever so slightly.... and don't even get me started on rooms with have light leaking into them from other lit up rooms :o

Last edited:
Soldato
Mean I know its not the only game with RT, my point still stands though.

The fact that you have to point that out maybe proves the point :D

What there is to point out since reflections disappear of screen while looking away? Screen space issues are well known...
Is not necessarily wow for some that are used to raster fakery, but it definitely helps with the "stability" of the image overall. @Nexus18 also pointed out the shortcomings in other titles...

comparison

Man of Honour
Yes people got so used to screen space reflections that they basically don't even notice the problems with it, it's glaringly obvious how bad screen space is when you've been playing wiht RT reflections for any amount of time. Glaringly obvious in that reflections are accurate and don't vanish when you move the camera :cry:

Associate
Yes people got so used to screen space reflections that they basically don't even notice the problems with it, it's glaringly obvious how bad screen space is when you've been playing wiht RT reflections for any amount of time. Glaringly obvious in that reflections are accurate and don't vanish when you move the camera :cry:
Perhaps, think of this for a second.

Even with RT turned on, some of us are actually playing the game, most graphical effects become under appreciated by that point.

I don't know about other people but when I play games, I play them well and skillfully, not often do I spend time looking at puddles or reflections actually I don't think I have ever done this in any game no matter what it is.

Lets for example say in World of Warcraft high end raiding RT had a bigger visual impact, if I had someone in the group say they died because they wanted to appreciate the RT visuals, they are getting kicked from the group.

I really don't know how you and others play games.

Mean as much as Crysis look good back in the day, I talked more about how much of a good game it actually was, same with the original Farcry.

Honestly its cope with a lot of you.

Man of Honour
You're accusing me/us of cope when seemingly the only cope seems to be coming from those who don't have a legitimate argument to make and have to resort to the "but we at least focus on the gameplay more" lol. That fish won't fly any more.

Some of us who spend time looking at graphics also spend time actually playing the games too. I have well over 400 hours in Cyberpunk and still play it 3 years after launch and am still finding new ways to play it, whilst still having time to appreciate the graphics that have much improved since launch.

Also unlike you, remember that many of us are diehard technology addicts and all of this new tech being put into games is fuel for our minds, we enjoy looking at it and experiencing it just as much as playing the games themselves.

Some of us are just built different and can multitask :p

Also we buy high end monitors and hardware to support the satisfaction of our eyeballs, we will get the most out of it all.

E:
Alan Wake 2 does some good RT. Especially the Neon writing on the Talk Show building.

The problem with AW 2 is that Nvidia claim is has full ray tracing when in fact, and as documented by digital foundry and others, it uses baked lighting throughout the game. Sure it has nice baked lighting, but it doesn't react to either Saga or Alan's actions, even with path tracing enabled, so technically it isn't "full" ray tracing or full RTX or whatever Nvidia are calling it any given day. So far Cyberpunk seems to be the only game that can legitimately be called "full ray tracing", it's even more advanced than the latest update to Portal RTX in that Portal still uses traditional simulation of light using rays and bounces, whilst Cyberpunk now uses ReSTIR GI to replace rays/bounces for lighting which is why it's so clean.

Last edited:
Associate
You're accusing me/us of cope when seemingly the only cope seems to be coming from those who don't have a legitimate argument to make and have to resort to the "but we at least focus on the gameplay more" lol. That fish won't fly any more.

Some of us who spend time looking at graphics also spend time actually playing the games too. I have well over 400 hours in Cyberpunk and still play it 3 years after launch and am still finding new ways to play it, whilst still having time to appreciate the graphics that have much improved since launch.

Also unlike you, remember that many of us are diehard technology addicts and all of this new tech being put into games is fuel for our minds, we enjoy looking at it and experiencing it just as much as playing the games themselves.

Some of us are just built different and can multitask :p

Also we buy high end monitors and hardware to support the satisfaction of our eyeballs, we will get the most out of it all.

E:

The problem with AW 2 is that Nvidia claim is has full ray tracing when in fact, and as documented by digital foundry and others, it uses baked lighting throughout the game. Sure it has nice baked lighting, but it doesn't react to either Saga or Alan's actions, even with path tracing enabled, so technically it isn't "full" ray tracing or full RTX or whatever Nvidia are calling it any given day. So far Cyberpunk seems to be the only game that can legitimately be called "full ray tracing", it's even more advanced than the latest update to Portal RTX in that Portal still uses traditional simulation of light using rays and bounces, whilst Cyberpunk now uses ReSTIR GI to replace rays/bounces for lighting which is why it's so clean.
I have to say that I wasn’t overly impressed with the visuals on cyberpunk having just completed it after 4 years not playing it due to having lost interest. It is a good game but I agree with @Raelgun I just don’t get people looking at the reflections whilst trying to play the game.

It looked like a PS4 game even with RT ULTRA and psycho RT at 1440p. Johnny Silverhand’s hair looked particularly fake and I saw loads of graphical flaws in textures. Not sure what all the hype is about tbh.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
If it looked like a PS4 game even on RT Ultra then your PC is 100% broken! It's about as simple as that really. Just look at any of the recent screenshots posted in the screenshots thread or the Cyberpunk thread. Plenty of comparisons.

Last edited:
Associate
If it looked like a PS4 game even on RT Ultra then your PC is 100% broken! It's about as simple as that really. Just look at any of the recent screenshots posted in the screenshots thread or the Cyberpunk thread. Plenty of comparisons.
Reality is you don’t play screenshots. The game is dynamic and visuals change every second.

My PC is fine tbh. 27GP850 screen overclocked to 180hz at 1440p. 5800x3d on a b550 board and 2 TB storage and plenty of vram on the 7800xt.

It really looked like a last gen game. I even asked my brother to play on his 3090 and and he agreed it didn’t wow either of us with its graphics. We also played Avatar and were impressed with its visuals vs cyberpunk. The RT was nice but I honestly don’t think you can play a game admiring the reflections.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Now I know you are talking rubbish or trolling, there is no genuine outlet or gaming community online that considers Cyberpunk looking like a last gen game, whether RT or PT or even raster, the game looks like one of the most next gen open world games there is.

You don't have to take my word for it, we all have access to the internet and can spend 10 seconds doing a quick google to prove you are just simply wrong.

Associate
Now I know you are talking rubbish or trolling, there is no genuine outlet or gaming community online that considers Cyberpunk looking like a last gen game, whether RT or PT or even raster, the game looks like one of the most next gen open world games there is.

You don't have to take my word for it, we all have access to the internet and can spend 10 seconds doing a quick google to prove you are just simply wrong.
Can’t deny that a lot of people like it but in my experience it wasn’t anything to be wowed by.

Buildings look flat, textures especially edges of pavements look like 640x480 resolution. It’s bit fake in places esp during daylight.

At night I must admit you don’t notice the issues and you can say it does look fantastic.

Can you explain why Silverhand’s hair looks fake and last gen? Wait wasn’t it developed with last gen consoles in mind despite how it actually turned out playing poorly on those.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Post an example of what you say otherwise it's just random words on a screen that don't mean anything, we need to see what you saw in order to determine if specsavers is necessary or yes indeed, your game looks last gen for some reason.

But besides all that, something doesn't track with your post, I know the settings and performance in this engine back to front, you say you were playing Ultra quality with RT, you have a 7800XT, you don't mention the resolution nor the FSR mode nor the other settings.

The 7800XT barely hits 60fps on the high preset at 1440P when RT is enabled and that is with FSR Quality.

So I can now assume a situation whereby you have had to gain acceptable performance in RT but by sacrificing quality settings in order to gain that performance lead and as such, your game would look poorer, especially with the jaggedness and temporal instability of FSR, it's bad enough in Quality mode, even worse in Balanced/Performance.

There is no way you played the game with RT Lighting on Psycho and using the RT Ultra preset and got a game that looks like a PS4 game, maybe in framerates sure since the 7800XT needs to be using RT in Medium settings to just touch 60fps at 1080p.

So what's the deal here? :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Post an example of what you say otherwise it's just random words on a screen that don't mean anything, we need to see what you saw in order to determine if specsavers is necessary or yes indeed, your game looks last gen for some reason.

But besides all that, something doesn't track with your post, I know the settings and performance in this engine back to front, you say you were playing Ultra quality with RT, you have a 7800XT, you don't mention the resolution nor the FSR mode nor the other settings.

The 7800XT barely hits 60fps on the high preset at 1440P when RT is enabled and that is with FSR Quality.

So I can now assume a situation whereby you have had to gain acceptable performance in RT but by sacrificing quality settings in order to gain that performance lead and as such, your game would look poorer, especially with the jaggedness and temporal instability of FSR, it's bad enough in Quality mode, even worse in Balanced/Performance.

There is no way you played the game with RT Lighting on Psycho and using the RT Ultra preset and got a game that looks like a PS4 game, maybe in framerates sure since the 7800XT needs to be using RT in Medium settings to just touch 60fps at 1080p.

So what's the deal here? :cry:

I was playing at mostly 60fps at 1440p and not much more.

Ok I played with Quality mode FSR upscaling- is FSR really that bad? (facepalm)

If so will try without and see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom