What do you do when you can't sleep?

Soldato
I've got to be up for work in 4 hours and haven't slept a wink. There's nothing going on in my life at the moment that should be stressing me out right now - work's good, relationship's good, etc etc - but I've been tossing and turning all night. Is anyone else suffering from insomnia, and how do you deal with it?

Soldato
Same here, been unable to sleep tonight, although I don't have work in the morning, currently recovering from a broken hip after falling off my bike 2 weeks ago.

I've been reading various forums, playing wordsearch games on the phone & generally wasting time until its time to get up at 7.30 when the wife goes to work.

Soldato
Sleepless nights are all part and parcel of my condition, so have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that no matter how long I lie in bed trying to get to sleep I'm just not going to drop off that easy at all. And when I do I normally get about 3 hours of extremely broken sleep per night on a good night.

Usually just grab a book and read or fire the PC up browse random articles on Wikipedia.

Soldato
My ancient boiler tends to wake me up early regardless but as I read most days before going to sleep I can trigger a doze by reading a couple of chapters in the morning.

Worst case is to watch some YT vids usually continuing a series like playthroughs or tutorials.

Soldato
I slept like a baby last night! Very rarely have trouble sleeping, but sometimes if i have trouble falling asleep i'll just put something boring on tv and lay in bed watching it.

Associate
The best insomnia remedy I've found is as follows:

If after 30 minutes of going to bed you are not starting to nod off get up. I watch a boring TV program until I feel tired and then I go back to bed.

The trick here is to watch something that is not stimulating, interesting or thought provoking . No films, no news, just something really dull.

I feel this works by resetting your bedtime routine so although you are going to bed later it's much more efficient than laying in bed for hours.

Soldato
Do enough physical activity every day to tire yourself out, haven't had issues with sleep for years since I started.

Best answer yet, go to gym and do 5k on treadmill after work.

Also cut out caffeine 100%. Do some research on foods that keep you up and ones that knock you out.

You can thank me later.

Permabanned
Usually read a book till I drop off but had the same issue last night, so I got up and played some Fallout 76 till about 2am, eventually drifted off....Annoying as had to miss the gym at 6am to get an extra hour sleep in before first day back at work!

Back
Top Bottom