What do you think of this rig

Associate
KB-052-MS Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v2.1 - OEM (KB-052-MS) 1
£24.95 £24.95
CP-126-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4200BVBOX) (CP-126-AM) 1
£219.95 £219.95
MY-037-CR Crucial 1GB DDR PC3200 CAS3.0 Dual Channel Kit (2x512MB) (C2KIT6464Z40B) (MY-037-CR) 1
£54.95 £54.95
MB-086-AB Abit KN8 nForce4 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-086-AB) 1
£59.95 £59.95
GX-067-XF XFX GeForce 6800 XT Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PVT42E-UDE3) (GX-067-XF) 1
£84.95 £84.95
CA-040-AN Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU (CA-040-AN) 1
£65.95 £65.95
HD-001-HI Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 NCQ 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (0A31637) (HD-001-HI) 1
£47.95 £47.95
CB-014-AK Akasa Serial ATA 45cm Blue EL Data Cable (CB-014-AK) 1
£9.50 £9.50
CD-030-NE NEC ND4570 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-030-NE) 1
£24.95 £24.95

Any comments/suggestions for change guys?

Man of Honour
What are the uses and what is your budget? If you are gaming then I'd probably suggest going for the X2 3800 and getting a more balanced overall system e.g. 2gb Ram and a better graphics card. If not then I see no glaring problems.

Associate
OP
Gaming to a certain extent, like Hl2 and Doom 3 , but that's about it, this will surely run it no probs?

Changed card to:

GX-016-GI Gigabyte GeForce 6800 GS 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) & Quake 4 Bundle - Retail (GX-016-GI)
£119.95 £119.95

Last edited:
Associate
get the 3800+ OEM and an freezer 64 pro and do a bit of overclocking use the saved cash on other things my 3800 is at 2.7Ghz with the freezer pro

Associate
OP
Thanks guys.

I have another couple of questions:

1) Do I need to order this before a certain time to recieve it tomorrow?

2) Is this processor easy to fit, I have never fitted one before so any handy links to fitting them would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Permabanned
Can i recomend you change the HD

Maxtor MaxLine III NCQ 250GB 7V250F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache

£73.97 Including VAT

First of all it's only a few £ extra

But for that you get a 5 year manufacturer warranty and it allso has 16MB Cache and is 250GB
Willy waving right's allso apply :D

And in my opinion its a far better HD

Allso " Wireless " and gaming is a no no , Unless thing have changed in the Wireless mouse and key's world i would not recomend using .

Hardwired and gaming :D

Maddad

Permabanned
jm240 said:
Thanks guys.

2) Is this processor easy to fit, I have never fitted one before so any handy links to fitting them would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Not sure on the timeing thing ... give it a g0

Fitting the CPU is easy just take your time ( take your time with build full stop )

Here is a great tutorial on how to do a build ... Your stuff may be diffrent so just use it asd a guide ..

http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2

Good luck and take your time ;)

Man of Honour
jm240 said:
Thanks guys.

Thanks again.

I think you normally have to order before lunchtime(might be 2 o'clock) to recieve next day but this does depend on how busy they are, still the sooner you order the better :)

CPU is easy to fit, it is still what is known as a ZIF(Zero Insertion Force) socket. ZIF is a little bit of a misnomer but basically you lift the lever at the side to 90 deg then line up the CPU pins with the holes and gently place it into the socket, once in correctly you then push the lever back down.

Normally one of corners(possibly two) have pins removed so you know which is the correct way to insert the CPU, maybe someone else will have an illustrated guide. Don't force the CPU though, ask here if you are unsure :)

Permabanned
jm240 said:
I have heard Maxtors are noisy Hd's is this not true?

Nope ... mine is silant ... My CPU fan on the other hand ..OMG the noise hahah

That is a very recomended HD and the 5 year manufacturer warranty is worth its waight in gold ... 250 gig and 16 MB Cache ... for an extra few quid :eek:

Bargin

Edit allso worth thinking about getting >> Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound £6.46 Including VAT

It will help with cooling your CPU as it forms a better contact with your heatsink

Last edited:
Permabanned
Explicit said:
And let's not forget about the build quality issues that they're having. Stick with the Hitachi drive, it's way above maxtor's league.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Im not aware of any build issues with the MaxLine III 250GB

Proof ?

Its your money man .... you decide

Last edited:
Associate
OP
two contradicting posts, I'm confused.

I know I have had a deskstar HDD and it has never had any issues with noise or reliability.

Soldato
Explicit said:
And let's not forget about the build quality issues that they're having. Stick with the Hitachi drive, it's way above maxtor's league.
Maxtor's old drives (the 6 series i believe) were loud and not that great... the DiamondMax Plus 9 and 10 series were good for their price, and not really that loud at all when in comparison to the old drives.

Not heard much about the DiamondMax Plus 11 series, or the new Maxline drives though, so I can't comment on that.

Chris19 said:
get the 3800+ OEM and an freezer 64 pro and do a bit of overclocking use the saved cash on other things my 3800 is at 2.7Ghz with the freezer pro
If you want to overclock and still stick with the A64 range (and not going for an Opteron) then its a no brainer to go for the 3700+ over the 3800+ IMO. The recent batch of 3700+ CPUs have been extremely good clockers, if the 3700+ and the 3800+ are clocked to the same frequencies, the 3700+ would out perform it (slightly) because of its increased L2 Cache.

The Artic Freezer 64 Pro however is great value for money, the only issue I have with mine is the slightly short power cable that doesn't quite reach the CPU fan slot on my LanParty SLI-D (meaning I had to slightly alter the fan).

As far as actually installing a CPU, they're probably one of the easiest things to do when building a machine. Lift up the lever on the CPU block on the mobo to its 90degree angle, align the processor up with the holes on the board. There is normally a small arrow on the block and on the CPU that shows which way it goes in. You put it in place, put the lever down and it pushes itself in nicely. If all else fails, when you buy your processor (assuming you don't buy an OEM one) you will get a CPU installation guide with it. You'll also get a guide on how to install the Artic Freezer 64 Pro if/when you buy that too.

Permabanned
jm240 said:

I know I have had a deskstar HDD and it has never had any issues with noise or reliability.

Well man as i said in my post i don't know of any build issues with the maxline ||| , And to be frank untill i do see proof then thay don't .

And by proof i don't mean one guy had his blow up on him due to the fact he fitted it wrong kind of proof . ;)

If your unsure about what one is best for you make a post asking what one to go for ... The thing is you will get 10 say Hitachi and another 10 saying Maxtor :(

I can only tell you what i know ... I have a maxtor maxline and it's a very good HD its 16 meg Cache and has a 5 year M / W and its 250 gig and i was recomended to buy it by a flood of other members .

I would not hate you if you went with the hitatchi ... but i would smile every time i seen you asking whats wrong with it :D << joking

Phone a friend , ask the forum ... you decide

Edit : as nikebee said

Not heard much about the DiamondMax Plus 11 series, or the new Maxline drives though, so I can't comment on that.

Usualy the reason people have not herd of any issue is the fact that thay have non ;)

Maxtor ! Maxtor !Maxtor !Maxtor !Maxtor !Maxtor ! :D

Last edited:
Associate
jm240 said:

Goto the hard drive section, create a new thread about the two drives and I can pretty much guarantee that people will snigger at the maxtor even being mentioned in the same line as hitachi, seagate etc.

Don't let the 16MB cache fool you. Sure, the Hitachi has 8MB cache, which doesn't mean it's a worse drive. At the end of the day, your hard drive is for storing data. 6 months down the line, I would like my data to still be intact. How can I put this? Would you rather have a drive that is rock solid, incredibly fast and very reliable (but with 8mb cache) or a drive that has 16MB cache and reliability issues? What will 16MB cache do when your drive starts to play up or when you lose your data? "Yay, atleast I've got 16MB cache..WOO!" People boasting Maxtor's 16MB cache are short-sighted in my opinion.

The Maxtors used to be great drives and were right amongst the top. But you have got to be kidding yourself to say that they still are. Everyone knows they have been having issues lately.

Back
Top Bottom