What do you think of this rig

Permabanned
Explicit said:
Goto the hard drive section, create a new thread about the two drives and I can pretty much guarantee that people will snigger at the maxtor even being mentioned in the same line as hitachi, seagate etc.

Don't let the 16MB cache fool you. Sure, the Hitachi has 8MB cache, which doesn't mean it's a worse drive. At the end of the day, your hard drive is for storing data. 6 months down the line, I would like my data to still be intact. How can I put this? Would you rather have a drive that is rock solid, incredibly fast and very reliable (but with 8mb cache) or a drive that has 16MB cache and reliability issues? What will 16MB cache do when your drive starts to play up or when you lose your data? "Yay, atleast I've got 16MB cache..WOO!" People boasting Maxtor's 16MB cache are short-sighted in my opinion.

The Maxtors used to be great drives and were right amongst the top. But you have got to be kidding yourself to say that they still are. Everyone knows they have been having issues lately.

That is all just your opinion ..i still dont see proof ? :D

Permabanned
Explicit said:
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=210256
http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=189026

There are countless threads about maxtor issues, I don't see why you're trying to deny it. Just do a search for maxtor and you'll see people having all sorts of issues.

In the first link 3 guys had problems .. the other's love them .. and a few don't even own maxtor .

As one guy pointed out " its the luck of the draw " , Sure you will get failed HD'd .. but thats an issue with all HD's not just maxtor .. so agin that dont stand up as proof :D

And the second url that you give has a guy that may have other hardware issues , That may be nothing to do with his HD

The funny thing is ... if you read the third posters comment he had a WD stick at 8 %

Still not proof enuff for me mate .. but i will show you some ;)

http://www.varbusiness.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=49900370

Associate
OP
Thanks very much guys in the help so far, really helpful!

I have decided to change the ram from the 1GB Dual channel kit from Crucial and have gone for this instead, is this GeIL memory any good in comparison to crucial?

GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS3 (GE2GB3200BDC) (MY-046-GL)
£99.95 £99.95

Associate
maddad68 said:
In the first link 3 guys had problems .. the other's love them .. and a few don't even own maxtor .

As one guy pointed out " its the luck of the draw " , Sure you will get failed HD'd .. but thats an issue with all HD's not just maxtor .. so agin that dont stand up as proof :D

And the second url that you give has a guy that may have other hardware issues , That may be nothing to do with his HD

The funny thing is ... if you read the third posters comment he had a WD stick at 8 %

Still not proof enuff for me mate .. but i will show you some ;)

http://www.varbusiness.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=49900370

And...errr...the article proves what?

As for the links, you're just denying that people are having issues. You flag the posts that were happy with them and ignoring the people having issues. Fanboy.

Please stop wasting my time, if you're happy with maxtor good for you, enjoy it for however many months it will last.

Permabanned
Explicit said:
And...errr...the article proves what?

As for the links, you're just denying that people are having issues. You flag the posts that were happy with them and ignoring the people having issues. Fanboy.

Please stop wasting my time, if you're happy with maxtor good for you, enjoy it for however many months it will last.

I find in a debate that if people start to get heated up and resort to name calling then the debate is over .

LOL fanboy indeed , I think anyone reading this will no dout see who is the fanboy ;)

I have provided proof and you have provided 3 people who had problems and 6 that love them ... i think you will find its you wasting your time .. not me :p

Just in case you wish to carry on .. heres a bit more :D

Maxtor maxline
http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=309&page=2

Hitachi Deskstar
http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=538&page=3

jm240 , i cant comment on the RaM as i might be labeled a fanboy ... what i can say is 2 is better than 1 .

Geil have a good rep here as do Crucial so you will not go far wrong with ether .

Associate
What about this spec, only £15 more than your spec but a lot better. The SATA cables are a waste of money and come with the mobo's & the 4200+ is not good value for money. Get this and clock it! :cool: :

KB-052-MS Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v2.1 - OEM (KB-052-MS)
£24.95 £24.95
CP-152-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-152-AM)
£159.95 £159.95
FG-000-AR Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (FG-000-AR)
£12.95 £12.95
MB-046-MS MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-046-MS)
£64.95 £64.95
MY-005-GL GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (GE1GB3200BHDC) (MY-005-GL)
£49.95 £49.95
HD-001-HI Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 NCQ 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (0A31637) (HD-001-HI)
£47.95 £47.95
CA-040-AN Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU (CA-040-AN)
£65.95 £65.95
CD-030-NE NEC ND4570 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-030-NE)
£24.95 £24.95
GX-069-LT Leadtek GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-069-LT)
£159.95 £159.95
Subtotal £611.55
VAT £107.03
Total £718.58

Associate
OP
Monstermunch said:
What about this spec, only £15 more than your spec but a lot better. The SATA cables are a waste of money and come with the mobo's & the 4200+ is not good value for money. Get this and clock it! :cool: :

KB-052-MS Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v2.1 - OEM (KB-052-MS)
£24.95 £24.95
CP-152-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - OEM (CP-152-AM)
£159.95 £159.95
FG-000-AR Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 754/939/940) (FG-000-AR)
£12.95 £12.95
MB-046-MS MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-046-MS)
£64.95 £64.95
MY-005-GL GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (GE1GB3200BHDC) (MY-005-GL)
£49.95 £49.95
HD-001-HI Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 NCQ 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (0A31637) (HD-001-HI)
£47.95 £47.95
CA-040-AN Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU (CA-040-AN)
£65.95 £65.95
CD-030-NE NEC ND4570 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-030-NE)
£24.95 £24.95
GX-069-LT Leadtek GeForce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-069-LT)
£159.95 £159.95
Subtotal £611.55
VAT £107.03
Total £718.58

Thanks for the suggestion there, main difference is scrapping that cable and changing the card but reducing the memory from 2gig to 1gig. I have been reading about some new games needing 2 gigs so not sure if it's worth doing so.

I noticed something about the graphics card, it says DVI does this mean it wont have VGA?

Associate
maddad68 said:
I find in a debate that if people start to get heated up and resort to name calling then the debate is over .

LOL fanboy indeed , I think anyone reading this will no dout see who is the fanboy ;)

I have provided proof and you have provided 3 people who had problems and 6 that love them ... i think you will find its you wasting your time .. not me :p

Just in case you wish to carry on .. heres a bit more :D

Maxtor maxline
http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=309&page=2

Hitachi Deskstar
http://www.bytesector.com/data/bs-article.asp?ID=538&page=3

jm240 , i cant comment on the RaM as i might be labeled a fanboy ... what i can say is 2 is better than 1 .

Geil have a good rep here as do Crucial so you will not go far wrong with ether .

So let me get this straight...just because one review likes the drive, that means it's the best drive? Because it survived the review that means it will develop no issues like other maxtors? I didn't ask you to give me reviews of the drive, and if I did want to find a review, I'm more than capable of finding one myself from a reliable source. Again, you're wasting your time.

Enjoy your maxtor, but don't get cocky and big-headed about it because not everyone else shares your opinion. Other people care more about reliability when it comes to hard drives.

Permabanned
Explicit said:
So let me get this straight...just because one review likes the drive, that means it's the best drive? Because it survived the review that means it will develop no issues like other maxtors? I didn't ask you to give me reviews of the drive, and if I did want to find a review, I'm more than capable of finding one myself from a reliable source. Again, you're wasting your time.

Enjoy your maxtor, but don't get cocky and big-headed about it because not everyone else shares your opinion. Other people care more about reliability when it comes to hard drives.

Oh so now im wasing my time ? ..and not yours ..

I ( as would anyone reading this ) would say your the one getting cocky with that statment .

Its clear to see that you have no clue what your talking about .. and if you do you have a very poor way of getting it across .

Your links given are no way valid in this debate , As i pointed out you have 3 people that have had a problem and all the other posters have no problem .

We could go on all day long here finding people who like and people who don't but that is not what is asked of us .

This guy asked about his build , My opinion is that the maxtor is worth being recomended and you add ( without any hard proof ) that it is not .. thats you opinion and the above is mine .

You got backed in to a corner and resort to name calling , your out of order here not me .

This guy needs help ..and your just arsing about , If you have nothing to add ...leave . you are the only person here who has anything bad to say about the NEW maxtor .. and with very little to show to help this guy make up his mind .

Associate
maddad68 said:
Oh so now im wasing my time ? ..and not yours ..

I ( as would anyone reading this ) would say your the one getting cocky with that statment .

Its clear to see that you have no clue what your talking about .. and if you do you have a very poor way of getting it across .

Your links given are no way valid in this debate , As i pointed out you have 3 people that have had a problem and all the other posters have no problem .

We could go on all day long here finding people who like and people who don't but that is not what is asked of us .

This guy asked about his build , My opinion is that the maxtor is worth being recomended and you add ( without any hard proof ) that it is not .. thats you opinion and the above is mine .

You got backed in to a corner and resort to name calling , your out of order here not me .

This guy needs help ..and your just arsing about , If you have nothing to add ...leave . you are the only person here who has anything bad to say about the NEW maxtor .. and with very little to show to help this guy make up his mind .

haha, are you a girl or something? Stop sulking :D

You've given me useless articles and reviews that I didn't ask for, and nor do I wish to read them. If anyone is being arrogant, it's you with you're smartass comments which mean nothing in reality.

You say I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's grand coming from someone who bought a Maxtor and then considers it to be better than everything else.

It's obvious you're a fan of maxtor, hence fanboy. If you consider that to be name calling, then lol, you really must be a girl. :D

I look forward to your sulky reply, no less than 1000 words long.

Permabanned
You just proved my point .

[Removed - Personal attack]

jm240 , my only advice at this point is to read all that has gone on here and then buy a maxtor :D

ALL HD's have issues of one kind or another , Some are sound and have no problems , If everyone in your street got a maxtor im without a dout sure that you would get one that might have an issue ...But that same can be said for any HD .

I hope this has helped a bit even thogh it may have confused the issue a bit , But be sure of this , I only tryed to help you and the other fella added nothing other than his opinion .

Explicit , don't bother with a come back ... It weak

Associate
jm240 said:
KB-052-MS Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v2.1 - OEM (KB-052-MS) 1
£24.95 £24.95
CP-126-AM AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+ (Socket 939) - Retail (ADA4200BVBOX) (CP-126-AM) 1
£219.95 £219.95
MY-037-CR Crucial 1GB DDR PC3200 CAS3.0 Dual Channel Kit (2x512MB) (C2KIT6464Z40B) (MY-037-CR) 1
£54.95 £54.95
MB-086-AB Abit KN8 nForce4 (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-086-AB) 1
£59.95 £59.95
GX-067-XF XFX GeForce 6800 XT Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PVT42E-UDE3) (GX-067-XF) 1
£84.95 £84.95
CA-040-AN Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU (CA-040-AN) 1
£65.95 £65.95
HD-001-HI Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 NCQ 160GB SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM (0A31637) (HD-001-HI) 1
£47.95 £47.95
CB-014-AK Akasa Serial ATA 45cm Blue EL Data Cable (CB-014-AK) 1
£9.50 £9.50
CD-030-NE NEC ND4570 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black) - OEM (CD-030-NE) 1
£24.95 £24.95

Any comments/suggestions for change guys?

That looks fine to me. But for the price of the 4200+, you may want to consider the opty 165, which is a great overclocker and has 1mb L2 cache per core. It has the potential to be an FX-60 is you get a good stepping and a mobo like the DFI Ultra-D.

As for the graphics card, if you can stretch to the GS version, that would be more worthwhile as it has better specs.

Fine choice on the hard drive by the way. Seagate, Hitachi, WD, Samsung are all great drives and any of them would be a good purchase.

Permabanned
jm240 said:
I noticed something about the graphics card, it says DVI does this mean it wont have VGA?

Your card might come with a dongle / adapter that allows you to plug VGA into the DVI slot , You might need to buy one if not

A bit like this ( pic is a bit crappy :eek: )

froogle_image

Last edited:
Associate
OP
maddad68 said:
Your card might come with a dongle / adapter that allows you to plug VGA into the DVI slot , You might need to buy one if not

A bit like this ( pic is a bit crappy :eek: )

froogle_image

Excellent guys thanks very much you have all been most helpful, sorry for sparking off a HD debate :p

I did decide to stick with my original decision with the Hitachi simply becuase it's what I have atm and have had 0 issues with it, and I dont have a need to spend extra on a 250GB when 160 is more than adequate for me!

I changed my card to a 7800GT just to let you know and my processor is changed to 3800+ X2 OEM and then a Arctic cooler 64! and now 2GB Dual channel GeIL kit.

Thanks again!

Associate
Associate
jm240 said:
Thanks for the suggestion there, main difference is scrapping that cable and changing the card but reducing the memory from 2gig to 1gig. I have been reading about some new games needing 2 gigs so not sure if it's worth doing so.

Not reducing to 2gb you had 1gb in your spec!

& Yes the gfx card does have vgs. but it is so much better than the 6800xt you wouldn't believe.

Last edited:
Permabanned
jm240 said:
Excellent guys thanks very much you have all been most helpful, sorry for sparking off a HD debate :p

I did decide to stick with my original decision with the Hitachi simply becuase it's what I have atm and have had 0 issues with it, and I dont have a need to spend extra on a 250GB when 160 is more than adequate for me!

I changed my card to a 7800GT just to let you know and my processor is changed to 3800+ X2 OEM and then a Arctic cooler 64! and now 2GB Dual channel GeIL kit.

Thanks again!

No problem Jm , Its good to talk ;)

I totaly respect your choice , As i said its your money in the end it is down to you to decide ;)

Good luck with your build , I can't see you having any problems but if you do you will get all the help you need here at OCUK .

You say your going for the 7800 gt .. witch one ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom