what happened to sata m.2 drives

Associate
I looking for a cheap storage dump drive without running sata cables and messing up the aesthetics of my build.
i seam to remember sata m.2's was cheap a hell now i cant find any really.

wanting 2-4tb, what the best cheap option

edit lol just fond loads.. and they cost more than nvme..

Last edited:
What is the point of SATA M.2 for most people? It doesn't perform as well as NVMe and it can block SATA ports for those that want to use them as well. There's little demand for them and the manufacturers understandably concentrate on NVMe.

For the same reason they still buy spinning disk drives
well i daresay that spinning rust still holds a significant cost advantage per GB than SSDs, so there is an argument if using it for mass storage
whereas for m.2 sata and m.2 nvme there really isn't any, except if using a really old mobo that doesn't support nvme.
there may be a generation or two of motherboards (i can't think of any off the top of my head though) that didn't have msata but had m.2 sata, but by and large, the vast majority of boards that had m.2 will have support for nvme

Last edited:
They got completely outclassed by Nvme and are dead tech.

They used to cost over £1000 for a 1TB but nobody wants them now.

well i daresay that spinning rust still holds a significant cost advantage per GB than SSDs, so there is an argument if using it for mass storage
whereas for m.2 sata and m.2 nvme there really isn't any, except if using a really old mobo that doesn't support nvme.
there may be a generation or two of motherboards (i can't think of any off the top of my head though) that didn't have msata but had m.2 sata, but by and large, the vast majority of boards that had m.2 will have support for nvme
You don't boot up Windows 11 from data punch cards?

My motherboard has four SATA ports, so I could use them for 2.5" SSD or 3.5" platter drives.

If 2.5" SSD were much cheaper than nvme it could be economical option as pretty sure SATA 3 is plenty fast enough for loading games

SATA M2 was popular for a short while for laptops but both desktop and laptops moved to NVME meaning NVME production is much higher volume with greater economy of scale so they're cheaper for a superior product.

Last edited:
On some motherboards, the 2nd or 3rd M.2 port shares lanes with the 2nd PCIe slot. So on systems with 2 GPUs that need to operate at full speed, multiple M.2 NVMe drives will take valuable PCIe lanes away from the 2nd PCI slot. An M.2 SATA drive in this scenario would solve that problem because the PCIe slots will have the full 16x lanes.

Back
Top Bottom