What has our country become?

Soldato
Its the media making it look worse, The bbc interviewed a newly qualified nurse who voted remain and asked her opinion on it, then they asked some random dim whit chav who choose leave. Its all made to look worse than it really is because it makes good news.

It was the same all the way thru the campaign, the only leave voters they wanted to speak to were the ones that fit their 'racist' stereotype.

Soldato
I'm embarrassed by the remain lot. Please stop your whinging and do something constructive. It's happened now. Deal with it and make it good. Leaving the EU isn't the end of Britain. The true devastation happened in WWII so get a grip on reality. Jeez.

Associate
Out of UK's 46 million something voters only 72% turned up to actually vote, that's roughly 33 million people who had an opinion, the 13 million did not.
Out of 33 million 52% voted leave, that's roughly 17 million people. 17 million out of 46 possible voters, that's 37% of people voting leave.

In my opinion, for referendum to be considered 'legal' over 50 or even 60 percent of all voters should have voted for any option, not 37%.

its also 35% voting stay ??

Tony Blair won a comfortable parliamentary majority with the votes of only 21.6% of the total electorate..... the turnout for the last uk MEP election was 35.6% with about 25% split between top 3 parties so ...

did you vote for a mep? least in the mep your voice is heard due to Proportional representation

http://www.electoralcommission.org....ment-elections-2005-Electoral-data-Report.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)

Soldato
its also 35% voting stay ??

Tony Blair won a comfortable parliamentary majority with the votes of only 21.6% of the total electorate..... the turnout for the last uk MEP election was 35.6% with about 25% split between top 3 parties so ...

did you vote for a mep? least in the mep your voice is heard due to Proportional representation

http://www.electoralcommission.org....ment-elections-2005-Electoral-data-Report.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2014_(United_Kingdom)

And a lot of the whingers "think of the future for our kids" only 36% of 18-25s voted. The kids couldn't be bothered to vote....

Personally the older generation get more respect as they made it happen in the first place but they have been the most attacked which is sad state of the lack of respect in society. It is really sad that minority's have been overprotected so much for so long it has caused genuine resentment. I love the diversity and cultural differences people have and I encourage controlled migration. If I want to experience a different culture I move and adapt. I don't expect them to adapt to me.

But migration never came into it for me. It was Germany's master plan for world domination being allowed to happen. Germany controls Europe through politics now far more successfully than other leaders.

Associate
Just to be pedantic, the Referendum has no standing in law. The UK is not a democracy it is a constitutional monarchy. The Queen in Parliament can not be bound by an advisory referendum so ultimately it will take an act of parliament signed by the Queen to actually leave the EU and this is in the discretion of the Queen in Parliament and it can not be instructed in any way by any referendum to carry out a certain course of action. The referendum of course has considerable moral and political force but it is not legally binding.

Germany won't be having a referendum anytime soon because they are illegal in Germany. They were a favourite tool of Hitler to subvert the Reichstag and we all know how that worked out so Germany outlawed them to stop that risk from occurring again.

There are myriad examples in history where majorities have not been the final say in the outcome of events. As an example in UK history, Northern Ireland exists because the majority of people there did not want to accede to the wishes of the majority of people on the whole Island. Pretty clearly on an all Ireland basis the majority will was to move out of the UK but this was unacceptable to NI and so we ended up with partition. Not a perfect example judging by how smooth that has been but nonetheless it demonstrates that snapshot majorities are not the be all and end all.

My suggestion is to have a look at On Liberty by John Stuart Mill and look at the notions of tyranny of the majority. It is a vast oversimplification to think that a vote on one day is absolutely binding and the end of all discussion. Democracy is a concept that is far more nuanced than that and it has many forms with plebiscites being probably one of the worst and least reliable ones, in my view they are the weapons of dictators and demagogues and have very little to do with democracy.

It is also the case that debate doesn't stop because a vote is taken. If you want a simple example go watch the Sidney Lumet movie 12 Angry Men and ask yourself if you think Henry Fonda should have 'stopped whining' when the jury in its first poll voted overwhelmingly to convict?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom