What have you done to your car today?

Don
I made this:

My E64 650i doesn't have much in the way of cubby holes. Even the solitary cup-holder is an afterthought. What it does have is a removable ashtray.
jH4mS6L.jpg

Traced around the ashtray.
zxQgV5Z.jpg

Cut out on the band saw.
qwBeRrn.jpg

Routed so it sits flush.
1ZMJp6i.jpg

Hole-sawed the opening.
0UxIaRS.jpg

Routed the edges.
Eqp06Dx.jpg

Routed the middle out and rounded the edges.
aV9Q8k9.jpg

Wood-stained and polished.
yyJwRyv.jpg

Nothing here.
m9J2V3i.jpg

Fits nice and snug.
IWLVSdi.jpg

There we go. Nice and handy.
MDeNY9D.jpg

I'll probably get some darker wood stain and some varnish to make is fit with the rest of the wood in the car a little better, but as a proof of concept it turned out pretty good.

Soldato
Thats good. I was gonna say anything over 1.8K is a win for one which has been sitting and has no MOT (presumably)

It did until September 6 owner car. No advisories on the last one but with it being sat in the garage it was getting on a bit with the rust. Still he’s driven it all the way to London and not had any issues so think it’s ok.

Think they’re great cars for their time.

Soldato
Why does a 5 minute job take 5 hours ?? All I had to do was remove rear pads and disc and fit a new set- This is on my 2010 Focus - Took me ages to jack it up with both rear wheels off ground - used two trolley jacks - one ordinary hydraulioc jack and scissor jack - then protect all slabs with cardboard - Got caliper off then attacked two bolts holding caliper carrier on - spanner slipped !!! - so tried sockets - wouldn't fit due to clearance so ended with ring spanner and tube - off they came - Then before went any further I got my new piston pusher back inna - rather screwer back inna - Didn't fit !!!!!!!!!!! the pegs were too far apart - went to mate over road - his was the same - so Being as pegs were pressed in I pressed out two outer ones - measured up under the car in the shade and to close for my glasses - drilled two holes - hammered in pins and 2mm to close - so out came the file and eventually it fitted - Next get piston back in -started winding and winding and winding - didn't realise you had to screw outer bit up - anyway done it - The rest was piece of cake - Now the other side - Nice - all the bolt's were done up just right - changed discs and pads and done and all working fine.

Now we come to the first spanner slip - all I can say is I wasn't wearing my watch - I felt it when it happened but that was it - got in took overalls off and wife had a fit - what have you done - why/where - Oh didn't feel it. Skin nicely peeled off.

413924130.jpg

JRS

JRS

Soldato
That's a nice wound DXP55 ;)

Since pa bought his '68 Land Rover IIa, it's been wearing a Weber 28/36 DCD carb of indeterminate age, origin and condition. I've tried different jets in it and it still hoses fuel through the engine (the Landy has averaged ~9mpg in the time he's owned it), and we've had a stock Zenith 36IV carb that pa rebuilt waiting to go on for ages. Finally managed to snag the casting that goes between carb and inlet manifold recently, so I set about changing them over. Fired straight up, now running nice and cleanly after a bit of mixture screw tweaking. Still got to figure out a throttle control link yet, as the previous owner removed part of the stock arrangement when they fitted the Weber and these bits are made of unobtainium at the moment. I tried using cable today to bodge a sort-of link up, but it doesn't really work.

If y'all want a giggle, I'll snag a photo of the adaptor casting used to fit the Weber DCD to the Landy manifold. It might genuinely be the worst bit of design work I've ever seen.

Soldato
That reminds me, I've still got a Bluefin handheld ornament from the Octavia. Never been able to bring myself to bin it. They give you an amazing £25 off if you want to use it on another car :p

Associate
Car (VW golf mk5 1.9TDI) failed MOT on Saturday on emissions, So i change the oil and put in a bottle of cataclean and drove low gear high revs on Sunday, booked for a retest for today (Monday) and failed again, now going to change the fuel, air, oil filters tomorrow.

Soldato
Topped it up with a bit of Asda petrol as Shell/Momentum wasn't an option unfortunately.
Fuel needle went lower than it originally was before I put a couple of gallons of Asda in :D

Don
Car (VW golf mk5 1.9TDI) failed MOT on Saturday on emissions, So i change the oil and put in a bottle of cataclean and drove low gear high revs on Sunday, booked for a retest for today (Monday) and failed again, now going to change the fuel, air, oil filters tomorrow.

Changing the oil, air and fuel filter isn't going to fix an emissions problem... You've got a sensor issue, an exhaust issue or an airleak

Soldato
Had my engine light come on although the car was driving fine. Conveniently had an OBD dongle in the car so checked it out and got P006A which is a MAF/MAP sensor issue. Cleared the error and proceeded to drive 115 miles and it hasn't come back on. Suppose I'd best hook both sensors out later and give them a clean just in case.

Back
Top Bottom