1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What have you done to your car today?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by mattyprice4004, Dec 24, 2012.

1. acemastr

Mobster

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Difficult to get the dash screen in a picture with the glare. It changes depending on which mode I'm in, shows nav, audio etc.

2. jpaul

Sgarrista

Paint looks lovely indeed, and the climate/palms, too.

first change of Final drive oil 75w90 semi-syn - Bentley got it wrong told me m52/6 - 1.7litres, but it was coming out at 1.1L, which Haynes suggested. ..
    wondered, if I hadn't tipped the car enough, but couldn't get any more out.
    and, of course, the bolt dropped in the mouth of the oil catch reservoir - choking the exit, so that was near overflow.

3. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Dry as a bone...£1237 for a clutch pack and labour.

Finding an Indy capable of doing one is almost impossible as isn't any cheaper

4. Acme

Caporegime

Ouch...

5. andy_mk3

Sgarrista

Been doing some VCDS mods. Needle sweep, video in motion, close tailgate via key, all kinds of stuff. Also lowered it 17mm on the active air suspension. Quite a nice subtle drop.

[​IMG]

6. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Recently fitted sensors means new data available on the multigauge

[​IMG]

7. NooBish AbbZ

Mobster

Edited first of a few videos from our trip to the 'Ring at the start of the month. We hired a track spec Clio RS which was hilarious. Here's my second of two laps :) Please lets not comment on my poor gear selection. It's been 2 and a half years since i drove a manual and it's abundantly clear :p

8. Armageus

Don

Looks very smart

9. Frozennova

Man of Honour

It's been through a few iterations, a there's been a severe case of scope creep.

Initially started as the gauge and now has support for OBD Live Data and diagnostic codes, trip computer and Launch RPM adjustable by Bluetooth. All on a custom PCB

[​IMG]

10. Diagro

Sgarrista

Took the exhaust off the MPS.

The mechanic I paid to fit it did not use any assembly paste. Also they used the incorrect bolts on the downpipe. So I had 3 joins, all with leaks.

Anyway, I pulled it all apart, wire drill attachment on every join and mating surface.
    Cleared some rust off bits.

Reassembled the entire thing with Moly exhaust repair paste. Also renewed the donut gaskets.

Fit some new hangers whilst I was at it.

No more vibration due to incorrect bolts, no more leaking noise of gas smell on cabin.

Good job all round. Really pleased with myself haha.

It's a COBRA exhaust, really nice sound when cruising around town and has zero drone when commuting.

11. Cookeh

Sgarrista

With the amount of reported horror stories by you regarding incorrectly fitted parts you should probably just do them all yourself in the first place.

12. andy_mk3

Sgarrista

Shouldn't need any paste on a flat flange and a decent gasket.

13. Diagro

Sgarrista

??
    I don't have any flat flanges.

Two are donut gaskets.
    Two are clamp on joins.

Yep.

I try and save myself time. And instead cost myself time and money. -.-

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
  14. Funky-Melon

Hitman

Not today but over the weekend on the Volvo.

- Replaced pollen filter, wasn't too fun, CEM out and very tight fit getting the new filter in behind the dash
    - Drained coolant and fixed coolant weep by heater matrix - Lots of dash out, another ballache job
    - Cleaned throttle body, cars on 100k now and it's never been cleaned - Not easy getting that out either due to location and tight engine bay but job done, noticeable improvement at idle and accelerating
    - Gave it a good wash :)

15. Funky-Melon

Hitman

Is it me or is the instrument cluster not fitting flush on the left side?

16. Frozennova

Man of Honour

If you look at it in full size it looks like you can see the little silver clip that holds it in place

17. acemastr

Mobster

Gee thanks for pointing that out guys :p

18. Acme

Caporegime

You would have noticed yourself eventually if you hadn't already :p

Hopefully it will just clip back in, if not, go back to the dealership and be the most anal customer ever. :D

19. Frozennova

Man of Honour

Another 12 months MOT for the MX5 ready to put it up for sale, followed by a phone call from VW to inform me they're giving my wallet even more of a beating and the Jetta needs a Dual Mass flywheel as well as the clutch.

Thinking about it logically, the odd behaviour I was getting could have been entirely down to the flywheel alone, but while the gearbox is out I might as well have both done considering the mileage I'm piling on it

20. mrk

Man of Terrible Jokes

Looks like BMW went the cheap eBay emblem route for the badges on the later fobs as that's just painted aluminium like the £2 stickers off eBay by the looks of it. The old keyfob stickers were vinyl topped with a soft clear dome. The keys were also fully sealed so weather proof, not sure if those ones are?