what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Am I mad for wanting this combo for headphone storage? I have a shell case at the mo and it's fine but I quite like this sort of this as looks cool to me lol. Bit OTT but.... sense of occasion lifting up the glass dome then lifting out the HD650.... The grabbing them experience has to match the sound experience surely :D

0OUDXzF.jpg

Soldato
Am I mad for wanting this combo for headphone storage? I have a shell case at the mo and it's fine but I quite like this sort of this as looks cool to me lol. Bit OTT but.... sense of occasion lifting up the glass dome then lifting out the HD650.... The grabbing them experience has to match the sound experience surely :D

0OUDXzF.jpg

That may be the most autistic thing I've ever read. So yes you should.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I'm telling you, all it takes is one Instagram Reel or Tik Tok to get all these audiophiles forming an orderly line at the shopping baskets :p

"Your headphones will get less oxygen whilst not in use thus preserving the cable and internals from extended oxidisation over time"

Soldato
Ordered myself a G6, will be with me tomorrow, currently own some Logitech G Pro X.

Looking to upgrade the headset to some "proper" headphones, around the £100-130 mark.

I play games, mostly Apex so gets competitive, any recommendations? DT770 or DT990 maybe?

Soldato
Had the DT770 pro for years before one of the drivers died recently, pretty good and very good isolation with no leakage. I think the 990s are the open equivalent so I guess would depend on whether you want open/closed.

Soldato
Had the DT770 pro for years before one of the drivers died recently, pretty good and very good isolation with no leakage. I think the 990s are the open equivalent so I guess would depend on whether you want open/closed.
Yeh it seems that way from what I have read up on, I've never stepped foot into anything other than gaming headsets so a little daunting I must say.

So using gaming headset would assume I'm used to closed back, however my G Pro X do not feel really sound deadening, as I use the fabric cups (can still have a conversation while having them on etc)

Associate

0OUDXzF.jpg

You suck, clicking on the dome image didn't instantly order one and have it telephoned to my doorstep.

Must try harder ;)

Associate
Picked up a 2nd hand set of Audio Technica ATH-R70x - think these will become my all round set for the forseeable. Love how they sound, they are so light and comfortable that all day work use is fine also and additionally, they seem to be brilliant for gaming. Have them hooked up to a Creative G6 during the day and a GC7 via my PS5 in the evening. Really peleased with them in either setup.

Soldato
Sony xm4 on offer at amazon for £169

Might have been a mistake as they've gone back to £250 within a few hours. Now to see if they arrive

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming money is no object; what is the best headphones for videogame imaging and also has good bass for music?

does such a thing exist? I've heard that the Seinheisser HD800s is the best headphones for games, but it has poor bass so that's a problem. If such a thing doesn't exist does it mean I need two pairs of headphones, one for games and one for music?

Soldato
Beyerdynamic DT1990 with the balanced pads (default) fitted: The soundstage isn't huge but the imaging within the stage is excellent and the bass is fast and has excellent quality. That's what I use anyway.
If money was no object then probably The Abyss TC1260 - though you would need a strong neck and very deep pockets :D

Man of Honour
Picked up a pair of Sony MDR EX650AP out of curiosity - interesting pair of earphones a little bit different to run of the mill stuff with a few positives and negatives.

Has the typical "high-res" sound of the MDR line, crisp detailed sound and impressive ability to sound like listening to much bigger drivers positioned further from your ears. Like the MDR line in general though there is a clinical feel to the sound, though expansive there is no richness to it, no warmth or organic smoothness. The bass has impressive amount of "slam" to it by almost any headphone standard but lacks for deep low bass - none of the menacing rumble like the Sennheiser Momentums. Treble sometimes is uncontrolled - piercing/screechy. In some specific circumstances I think the brass enclosure and lack of flex worked against them with the occasional moment where they sounded coloured and slightly off articulation but it was fairly rare.

Surprisingly comfortable and sit securely for prolonged use though I still notice they are there - I prefer earbuds over this style.

Overall quite like them, but there are other options in the MDR line which do the same thing better so I'd only choose them over those for portability/comfort reasons, but like with some of the other headphones in my collection great as a novelty but if I had to choose one headphone to use always it wouldn't be them.

Being super sensitive they also produce hiss quite badly on any hardware which isn't ultra-low noise.

EDIT: Haven't tried them for gaming yet - I generally find these kind of earphones or closed back headphones tend to perform poorly for my tastes compared to open back or the Sennheiser MX line.

EDIT2: Also very unforgiving with mp3s, etc. - even fairly high bit rate - cymbals and similar instruments in some tunes turn into high pitched "smish, smish, smish" sounds with them which isn't exhibited to the same degree with a higher quality/lossless version of the same tune though those kind of instruments tend to be a bit piercing with these earphones.

EDIT3: After using them for a bit I think I will have to build a little attenuator circuit for them for more general use - aside from ultra-low power output or devices with ultra-low noise levels they hiss far too much and the treble just destroys the listening experience in too many cases for anything which isn't a lossless recording of perfectly mastered audio as any little high end compression artefact gets reproduced as a piercing smush.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom