what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

Soldato
Added both the Sennheiser HD660s and the Sony wf-1000xm4 in December to my collection of Focal Utopia, Focal Stellia, Thieaudio Clairevoyance (and the sony wf-1000xm3 but they're on their way out).

Also added the M11 Plus LTD at some point last year, replacing the M11 Pro DAP. Still have the Focal Arche for desktop use.

Decent mix but surprised that you have the Sonys in there ?! How do they compare with your other IEMs ?

Soldato
Decent mix but surprised that you have the Sonys in there ?! How do they compare with your other IEMs ?

I have a preference to wireless IEMs when outside and good for calls when I'm in the office too. Sonys are great in that regard, not found a better sounding wireless one yet and tried a few.

XM4 is only an incremental upgrade on XM3, though. Not 'really' worth the upgrade price. I have both simply because it was an upgrade on my wireless set up! The Thieaudio Clairevoyance is better by some distance, they're bloody brilliant. One day I might buy endgame IEMs but not for a while.

Soldato
I have a preference to wireless IEMs when outside and good for calls when I'm in the office too. Sonys are great in that regard, not found a better sounding wireless one yet and tried a few.

XM4 is only an incremental upgrade on XM3, though. Not 'really' worth the upgrade price. I have both simply because it was an upgrade on my wireless set up! The Thieaudio Clairevoyance is better by some distance, they're bloody brilliant. One day I might buy endgame IEMs but not for a while.

Cool thanks, I really wanted decent quality when out and about so opted for entry level IEMs paired with a BTR5 for calls etc which works great - obviously I don't get noise cancellation tech but I've not had any complaints about the call quality

Soldato
Cool thanks, I really wanted decent quality when out and about so opted for entry level IEMs paired with a BTR5 for calls etc which works great - obviously I don't get noise cancellation tech but I've not had any complaints about the call quality
Great little device. I used to have a BTR5 that I used to use with my old FH7. Waiting patiently now for FiiO to finally make an LDAC UTWS device.

Soldato
So, the Audeze LCD-GX.

can you guys think of a better pair of headphones that has good bass, good for all types of music while having a very wide soundstage and excellent imaging?

I've found many headphones that do one thing or another but it seems to be the first pair that can be used for cinematic and competitive gaming and all music genres without sacrifice. Plus they are super easy to drive, you can plug them into anything

I know a lot of people like Seinheisser but the more I compare headphones the more I realise Seinheisser's products just aren't versatile. While some of their headphones are good for competitive gaming, those same headphones are hard to drive, inefficient and they are not good for cinematic gaming or certain types of music (anything with bass)

Last edited:
Soldato
I know a lot of people like Seinheisser but the more I compare headphones the more I realise Seinheisser's products just aren't versatile. While some of their headphones are good for competitive gaming, those same headphones are hard to drive, inefficient and they are not good for cinematic gaming or certain types of music (anything with bass)

I suppose it depends how much bass you like.
I recently picked up some Sennheiser 560S for gaming when I'm at work and to be fair, They are probably one of the better headphones I have gaming. I would say the sound stage isn't as wide as the K702 but the imaging is pretty accurate.

My current headphones I have mainly always used for gaming are:

Philips X2HR
Philips SHP9500
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Beyerdynamic T1 Gen 2
AKG K702
Sennheiser HD58X
Sennheiser HD560S

I've read people stating the best they have tried were Harmonicdyne Zeus but I had never heard of them.

This guy is on a bit of journey trying to find the best gaming headphone.
https://www.youtube.com/c/FreshReviewsYT/videos

Soldato
I mean the Audeze in question are a £900 headset.

It's difficult to get a headphone that excels in all of those departments without spending silly money.

This is true but a lot of headphones I look at in that price are also not excelling in all areas. It seems that most audio companies are making high end headphones that are designed only to excell in one or two specific areas - and I suppose that's done because trying to be a Jack of all trades limits the peak performance in any one area

I still own a pair of 250 quid Seinheisser gaming headset and it was only after I compared it with other headphones that I started hearing how deficient it actually is; it's decent for competitive gaming but it's really lacking in movies, music and games with bass - mine is also a closed back so the soundstage isn't the widest. I still use them for playing halo inifinite and csgo but I've stopped using them for anything else

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is true but a lot of headphones I look at in that price are also not excelling in all areas. It seems that most audio companies are making high end headphones that are designed only to excell in one or two specific areas

The Audeze LCD-GX don’t excel in all areas really, they’re an excellent headphone but they still have their critics and downsides.

Soldato
So, the Audeze LCD-GX.

can you guys think of a better pair of headphones that has good bass, good for all types of music while having a very wide soundstage and excellent imaging?

I've found many headphones that do one thing or another but it seems to be the first pair that can be used for cinematic and competitive gaming and all music genres without sacrifice. Plus they are super easy to drive, you can plug them into anything

My Focal Utopia was like wallhack when I tried them for gaming :cry:. For me they are about as good as it gets for music. I find myself constantly in awe.

I wouldn't waste them using it on anything else but music though.

Soldato
Audio Technica M50X
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro
Phillips Fidelio X3HR

All running on an iFi Zen Dac V2 + iFi Zen Can Amp stack.

EDIT

And Jabra Elite Bluetooth headphones for when I'm doing my daily cardio.

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Still using the Audio technica msr7bs, accept now with a custom cable (non cable tangling) which cost more then the hps but worth every penny.

They are still the best mid priced closed back hps I have owned, also tried the latest AKG 371s which pale in comparison sadly. Already had the AKG K550 range versions 1-3 I think they didn't compare either. Also tried the Panda wireless hps considered some of the best wireless hps going, they also did not compare to the msr7bs.

Using them with the Topping dx3 pro headphone/dac amp.

Soldato
Are there any headphone cables worth buying that don't cost a fortune?
I'm looking to purchase some shorter cables for some AKG and possibly Sennheiser headphones.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Contact WardmodCables on Instagram/Facebook. He will make you a custom high quality cable to whatever spec you want. Mine cost like £30 for the HD650.

I chose purple strands for my shorter cable.

av_SennHD650_WardModCables_4.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That is the D 7050 in the picture but I now have the D 3045 which is a marked step up in volume/power even though it is half the cost of the 7050!

Drives the 650s perfectly, the headphone amp section is dedicated and will drive 600ohm cans no problems.

If you like the "NAD sound" (wide soundstage, smooth vocals, clear highs and fast punchy lows) then something like this would be perfect for you :cool:

V F

V F

Soldato
Added both the Sennheiser HD660s and the Sony wf-1000xm4 in December to my collection of Focal Utopia, Focal Stellia, Thieaudio Clairevoyance (and the sony wf-1000xm3 but they're on their way out).

Also added the M11 Plus LTD at some point last year, replacing the M11 Pro DAP. Still have the Focal Arche for desktop use.

How you liking them? I was watching and reading reviews of them last night then decided to order a pair. Coming from the AKG K702.

Not sure yet until I try them to use the AKG K702 for the PS4 with optical/usb dac/amp, as it has a remote for volume control. Or use the Sennhesier HD660s for the PC. I'll also need to get a better dac/amp for the PC at some point. It has no problem driving the AKG K702 just now but want to get something better. Maybe something from Schiit... Bifrost? Or tube amps? No idea yet.

Back
Top Bottom