what headphones do you own thread - i own dt150's :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This might be handy for some, was sent to a redditor direct from Sennheiser as they work in an audio store:

goffDRf.jpeg

I really want to try the HD800S but I have also watched many reviews and this one in particular highlights the flaws in the HD800S, poor bass performance and poor construction control (the cable sockets can be easily broken etc). I have a feeling that I would not be impressed by them vs the modded Ananda Nano at this point due to what he mentions:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
this one in particular highlights the flaws in the HD800S, poor bass performance and poor construction control (the cable sockets can be easily broken etc). I have a feeling that I would not be impressed by them

EDIT: Re-wrote my post but:

Bass is not the strongest point of them but as per the video comments with the right amplifier it is plenty detailed, refined and precise but it won't be for people who like deep rumbling bass which to be honest for general music listening is something most people would lean more towards a headphone having than not. Like with the HD600s which can sound muddy and flat with some amplifiers the bass performance on the HD800s seems to be quite sensitive to the amplifier being used with stuff like the Mojos not appearing to have good synergy with the headphones. I think this reviewer put it well here https://youtu.be/Qiz4pDN1Boc?t=235

They aren't an end game headphone though IMO and probably wouldn't feature in my top 5 if I had to choose only 5, though they do wipe the floor with a lot of headphones for certain things at that price range or below.

I've not heard of anyone having construction quality issues albeit I don't know a lot of people who've spent a lot of time with them.

On another note that infographic looks spot on to me, which probably isn't surprising if it comes from Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Soldato
The HD660S2 isn't warmer than the HD650, they have put it where it is because of the extra bit of bass but overall it's more clinical than the HD650 due to the extra highs, which they seem to have ignored.

As for the HD800S, no build quality problems with mine, I've changed cables a few times and it's fault free. I use a 4db bass shelf boost in roon and together with the Violectric V222 or Schiit Vali 3 provide nice, deep, clean detailed bass. They are not going to go down into the sub-bass as well as the Ananda (with EQ) because planars tend to stay flatter in the frequency response in the low end but they sound nice and punchy.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Since going back to teh MX3s for headphones I've binned off the software EQing as I just didn't like the results on either the Fiio K7 or on the MX3s, and on both the HD660S2, HD650 and Ananda Nano, it just didn't feel right to my ears, like there's some electronic EQing going on (which there was lol)

however, what does get the job done and produce a sound that I am pleased and impressed with is the tone controls on the MX3s, an already smooth/warmish amp made even better by just dialling up the bass and treble +2 and +3. All 3 headphones sounded excellent this way so it was clear to me that the MX3s was the headphone amp I needed to keep, with the Ananda Nano this was exclusively with the velour memory foam pads, as the stock pads are IMO garbage tuned for these headphones in comparison and I can see why so many people feel the Edition XS, Ananda and nano and the Sundara have high mid-range brightness peaks that aren't suited to some types of music or female vocals due to those high peaks piercing the ears at higher volumes.

With those velour memory foam pads that is completely under control and like I mentioned previously, these mids and vocals now remind me of the HD650 level of mids, just with a wider stereo image and soundstage of course which is welcome. I won't bother with mentioning bass because there simply is no contest, the Nano's bass is next level for sub depth and detail. and the third part pads didn't affect that at all which is great to see.

I've now watched/read more reviews of both HD800S and HD8XX, the 8xx seem to have been made worse due to Sennheiser giving them a massive 11dB dip towards the upper mids for no apparent reason, and the soundstage feels hollow from various reviews - They don't appear to be the type of sound I would personally enjoy.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
But once you do the one-time mod, that's it, you too are done! And you end up with something hardly anyone else has because nobody else can be bothered with that level of effort even if the payoff is grand :D

Last edited:
Associate
Hifiman Sundaras and the original Philips Fidelio X1 for me. Don't realistically see the news for much else. Doesn't stop me shopping mind

Associate
This might be handy for some, was sent to a redditor direct from Sennheiser as they work in an audio store:

Very cool picture. Would be very interesting to plot non-Sennheiser headphones (i.e. AKG K702/712, TYGR 300R, Sundara's etc) on that graph, just to see how they compare. Imagine that would be a useful buying tool.

EDIT: Re-wrote my post but:

Bass is not the strongest point of them but as per the video comments with the right amplifier it is plenty detailed, refined and precise but it won't be for people who like deep rumbling bass which to be honest for general music listening is something most people would lean more towards a headphone having than not. Like with the HD600s which can sound muddy and flat with some amplifiers the bass performance on the HD800s seems to be quite sensitive to the amplifier being used with stuff like the Mojos not appearing to have good synergy with the headphones. I think this reviewer put it well here https://youtu.be/Qiz4pDN1Boc?t=235

They aren't an end game headphone though IMO and probably wouldn't feature in my top 5 if I had to choose only 5, though they do wipe the floor with a lot of headphones for certain things at that price range or below.

I've not heard of anyone having construction quality issues albeit I don't know a lot of people who've spent a lot of time with them.

On another note that infographic looks spot on to me, which probably isn't surprising if it comes from Sennheiser.

Interesting, out of curiosity what would your top 5 headphones be? Looking for a bit of direction as to what to grab next, I wasn't a big fan of the LCD-5 when I auditioned it, thinking of maybe of trying a ZMF?

Last edited:
Soldato

goffDRf.jpeg

I really want to try the HD800S but I have also watched many reviews and this one in particular highlights the flaws in the HD800S, poor bass performance and poor construction control (the cable sockets can be easily broken etc). I have a feeling that I would not be impressed by them vs the modded Ananda Nano at this point due to what he mentions:

I've owned HD800S for over 2 years now and can honestly say I've not noticed any issues about construction issues nor would you ideally remove the cable frequently which would could lead socket damage albeit it only goes in one way so no idea how anyone would damage the sockets at all.

In regards to bass drop off I was fully aware of this before purchasing them which I had prepared for with my ifi zen dac and can stack which both have bass boost features. This combined with the superb soundstage makes an incredible experience for my ears.

At the end of the day it's entirely up to you what you choose but there was one thing which I can be assured of and that is the stock pads are much better than any after market just like for the hd600s and probably all Sennheissers they just work out the box paired with a quality dac

Just my 2p worth so hope find your perfect/grail cans as I have

Man of Honour
I can’t imagine there are many on here who’ve tested top end headphones for an extended period of time. Even with the well known reviewers, I take a lot of their opinions with a good dose of salt.

I've had 1-2 pairs over the years but I mostly stick to Sennheiser and Sony, usually just come back to the HD600s. I've got a pair of Momentums if I want bass and a few different Sony MDR series. One I'm tempted to add to my collection is the Sony Z1R or whatever the latest incarnation of is and also need something soundstage wise but the HD800s I don't think are that based on my experience.

Unfortunately don't think I can justify the Sennheiser Orpheus but they'd be in my top 5.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
This song is my recent go to just for the sheer quality of literally everything in it on wide soundstage headphones. It is just sublime:

Soldato
I bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 4s 3 weeks ago and found them nothing but irritating. Creaking hinge, touch panel picking up non existent touches and ignoring some actual touches, ANC that cannot be turned off and seems to adjust severity itself even when auto-adjust is turned off. Brilliant sound, but the user interface is frustrating. So, I bit the bullet and bought a set of Bowers and Wilkins Px8's.

Back to buttons, brilliant build quality, considerably more comfortable and slightly better in the sound department.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Looks like Edifier have released the STAX S5, but only in China for now? I got an email from a contact today and a pair are on their way to me. Looks like my gripes with teh S3 have been address, lossless codec and gaming mode support feature!

Associate
Just picked up some 7hz Zero 2's as my DT 990's were hurting my right ear after an hour or so plus the coiled cable is very heavy and annoying. Have to say for £20 & £20 for a better cable I'm really impressed and no issues so far with comfort - new rabbit hole time.. cheap IEM's :D Running off my G6 & using Tidal.

Back
Top Bottom