What if you had the chance of working in Iraq / Astan ??

Soldato
OP
Gilly said:
Yeah, but thats not what I'd be doing, just for the same company.

The last 2 months of the 6 month stint would include travelling out and fixing IT equipment in jeeps and choppers.

You feel any need to be concerned about being out in public so to speak ?

Not sure how i feel about that, going to give it some more thought i think. I've heard it could be 4x what i can earn here, depending on the project specifics.

Could knock 5 years off my mortgage in 3 months.....its tempting.

Man of Honour
It'd give me a straight 10 grand to put towards a house. Thats some deposit :)

All debts and stuff paid off too.

Massive tempter.

I've only not come right out and said it because its through the MOD :)

Associate
Yeah I would :). Would have to be more than double money though. I'd personally love to be part of a PSC team over there helping to protect the civvies, but unfortunatly I think its almost exclusively ex mil only.

Permabanned
Gilly said:
It'd give me a straight 10 grand to put towards a house. Thats some deposit :)

All debts and stuff paid off too.

Massive tempter.

I've only not come right out and said it because its through the MOD :)

Ask for an SA80 then and enough ammo for 6 months :)

Man of Honour
No mate, I work for a private company currently supporting government contracts. I'd be supporting generic private contracts for my current company if I went :)

Permabanned
Id be over there like a shot if it meant more money. Not only do you get more money, but your helping free a country from evil in a small way.

squiffy said:
No, not for any money- I would be like a vulture and benefitting from an illegal war and supporting my goverments decision.

Heh, this is where we disagree, im a big supporter of the war, you know, not being a communist and everything ;)

Suspended
willd58 said:
Id be over there like a shot if it meant more money. Not only do you get more money, but your helping free a country from evil in a small way.

No you're profiteering from a destroyed country. What the hell are we doing employing our own people to rebuild their country in our image? The jobs should go to Iraqi's, and £ aid from the US and UK should go their goverment. So UK/US people get paid to rebuild their country, paid out of their oil. Whilst the Iraqi's don't get those jobs.

Disgusting. :mad:

Permabanned
squiffy said:
No you're profiteering from a destroyed country. What the hell are we doing employing our own people to rebuild their country in our image? The jobs should go to Iraqi's, and £ aid from the US and UK should go their goverment. So UK/US people get paid to rebuild their country, paid out of their oil. Whilst the Iraqi's don't get those jobs.

Disgusting. :mad:
You know, the worlds a lot more complicated than that. I hate to break that to you and spoil your lovely black and white view of the place.

Permabanned
I would do it but I would demand/expect to be armed.

I wouldn't feel confortable in a hostile enviroment without the ability to protect my own butt

Soldato
I was asked to go over there to do telecom system setups and repairs.

3 month stint, $30,000 tax free. Stay for a year, $30,000 bonus. So for a year away from home I'd get paid $150,000 and Uncle Sam wouldn't get a penny of it.

But the offer was retracted when I asked for an additional set of plane tickets and accomodations. They asked what for. I told them for my ex-Navy Seal friend to sit at a high vantage point with his M-107 to cover my arse. They asked what an M-107 was. I told them let's just say at 2,000 yards not even kevlar's going to help keep you alive....

They retracted thier offer of employment. :(

Back
Top Bottom