What is Instagram?

Soldato
I'm going to come across like an old guy with this question. But what exactly is Instagram?

I thought it was a platform where people just posted pictures, mostly of themselves. But reading a BBC article it appears its projected to overtake Twitter as a news source.

Instagram 'will overtake Twitter as a news source'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53050959

So who has an Instagram account here? And what do you do with it?

Why don't you try it and see? I use it as a source of advertising for my online business and it works wonders.

Soldato
I use instagram for my air cooled Volkswagen addiction, loads of engine builders post their projects on there, (it's something I dream of doing once I've retired), it's the only social media thing I can look at without getting angry/scared/depressed. The search function is somewhat of a rabbit hole though, I end up looking at ridiculous photoshopped people showing off and get angry/scared/depressed, so try to avoid that bit.

Soldato
I don't see how Instagram can be a news source.

In the most basic sense, by following news accounts

https://www.instagram.com/bbcnews/?hl=en

Plenty of news agencies publish to Instagram and it's hardly surprising heavy users of a platform like Instagram will follow pages like that and others to access their news, rather than browsing to the websites like the old technophobes we are.

Further to that are the typical 'social news' influences, where people posting about local events themselves can give people visibility of current events outside of traditional news channels.

When they're referring to 'Instagram as a news source', what they're talking about is the platform used to go and view your chosen news, not that Instagram are replicating BBC News (or other equivalent), but that people are using Instagram to access BBC News more than they're using Twitter - other options being that they might use a web browser, or a news aggregator.

The wording from the report itself makes it clearer that they're talking about 'how you access news'

Access to news continues to become more distributed. Across all countries, just over a quarter (28%) prefer to start their news journeys with a website or app. Those aged 18–24 (so-called Generation Z) have an even weaker connection with websites and apps and are more than twice as likely to prefer to access news via social media. Across age groups, use of Instagram for news has doubled since 2018 and looks likely to overtake Twitter over the next year.

Soldato
I also don't understand how Instagram is a news source. I have it but can't remember my login details and it only comes up with pictures of cars and stuff. Thought it was a waste of time.

Soldato
It's a social media platform predominantly in use by:

a) Virtue Signallers
b) The Left
c) People who want everyone to know their on holiday so you can burgle their house
d) People who pretend their life is significantly better than it actually is

Soldato
It's just a bb board kind of thing with images. So say some celeb wants to rant, they will either post an image of their rant as an image or they will post an image, with the rant in their description and followers will comment underneath.

It's a bit similar to Twitter. If you took away the comments capability then it would just be a site to view images.

Just different layout.

Soldato
I have an account that I must've opened back in my London days. I only know this because someone keeps hacking it as I see sporadic logins from all sorts of interesting places around the world from year to year. Not that I care as I've never used it.

As I understand, people post photos and 'like' each other's photos with heart icons (although could be wrong on that one) and the more 'likes' you receive the better you feel.

No idea how the news works on the platform.

Soldato
I was a big naysayer of Instagram but it does fill the gap between mindlessly scrolling Reddit and getting into 'real content' through forums. Lots of decent posters on there; you don't need to be following people you know or people posting pictures of their breakfast.

Man of Honour
I've gotta be honest, Instagram always struck me as a bit 'pointless' compared to other social media, in the sense that most platforms have native support for image sharing etc anyway. I have an account but only because I needed it to enter a few competitions. I certainly have never used it as a news source, whereas I have used twitter for that purpose (especially football team news).

That said, I've seen the odd social media profile on other platforms where they obviously look to drive you towards their Insta account, saying that's where their main updates lie. Like, they'll have a Twitter/FB account that's curated by an agency or whatever and then the 'real' person will post to Insta.

Overtaking Twitter as a news source doesn’t make it a good news source!

That’s like saying Burger King is going to overtake McDonalds as a source of gourmet cuisine!

Burger King has been in the lead as they have offered a cheese burger with bacon for several years now. Maccy D's only been offering cheese burgers with bacon in the past 1-2 years.

Back
Top Bottom