What is the best 8TB internal drive these days?

• Thread starter Deleted member 138126
  • Start date

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

I've just had a 6TB Red start giving me bad blocks -- predictably less than a year after warranty has expired. Looking at the Backblaze reliability tables, Reds are the absolute worst in reliability, so I won't be getting any more Reds, even though I used to SWEAR by them.

IronWolf Pro (with 5 year warranty)? Backblaze don't use IronWolf, but do use Barracuda Pro, which I assume / hope are mechanically the same thing and therefore should have the same reliability?

Associate
Reliability is a crap-shoot really. I have had 5TB Reds drop like flies, but older 3TB ones are still running 5 years in. I've had no problems so far with the 8TB (both Red and shucked Whites) and about 4 month in with a pair of 10TB Reds.

As for Seagate, had no problems with them at work, got a heap of Ironwolfs in various servers, but wow they're loud. I have a pair of 6TB Ironwolfs at home but I don't use them as they make the whole house rattle.

Another recommendation is Toshiba. Use the X300 in the Synology boxes at work, they get a beating all day doing client backups and had no problems with them either.

Soldato
Looking at the Backblaze reliability tables, Reds are the absolute worst in reliability, so I won't be getting any more Reds, even though I used to SWEAR by them.
You cant really use Backblaze as a measure of home reliability, the operating conditions are completely different. and remember they have like what 100k drives and lose about 5k of those a year? the loss numbers are so small its basically irrelevant, and im pretty sure Andy said as much when they first started publicising the data.

You could put the exact same two drives in your machine today and one could corrupt within a year and the other could be going strong for 10. Just buy from a decent manufacturer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

OP
Ended up going for Red (non-Pro) 8TB. Turns out there isn't actually a lot of choice out there. Toshiba drives have 2 or 3 years warranty max, HGST (now WD) are a fair bit more expensive, and IronWolf seem like they're very loud. I got the non-Pro because I didn't want the extra heat of the 7200 RPM. Hopefully this one will last.

Back
Top Bottom