What is this? (Shocking content!)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Worn shocks can also cause that. Just to add confusion. :p
Yeah I saw. Honestly, the car has always had vibrations, especially around 70-80mph. That's the reason I had to do 100mph, honestly sir!
Instrument binnacle has started to rattle obtrusively at low revs as well. The problem is that nothing has really broken on this thing and anything worth replacing it with (that isn't a Skoda) is north of £20k which I don't really have.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
OP
Bloke in the Audi workshop said not to bother unless it fails its MOT. As you were, gents..

Actually, how would I know they've failed, other than a bouncy rear end (and poorly worn tyres :cry:)? These are gas struts, so they wouldn't leak oil surely?

Soldato
Easiest way is to check the rebound - if they compress and are slow to return then they're likely knackered or on the way out. Conversely if they don't compress at all..

Get a couple of people to jump up and down in the boot :p

Associate
Oh, I see what you mean now. Yeah, that could be due to the fact the wheels weren’t round, hence me getting them completely refurbished in the autumn. Pretty sure it was only the fronts though as those rear tyres have never been up front. Also I do run slightly over as mentioned above.

I noticed the little flat spots when I had them in for refurb but it does look properly ****** in that photo :eek:
Like I said, wheels were oval and the rear suspension is likely knackered. I’ve done over 70,000 miles in this thing since I bought it and have done zero to the rear other than a set of pads 4 years ago. It’s literally only been routine servicing and some tie rods up front a year ago.

apologies @telewebby and @no idea what

@mjt no worries, no offence taken. I deal with tyres/wheels on a daily basis, yours are nowhere near some of the sights I see..

Alex

Caporegime
Bloke in the Audi workshop said not to bother unless it fails its MOT. As you were, gents..

Actually, how would I know they've failed, other than a bouncy rear end (and poorly worn tyres :cry:)? These are gas struts, so they wouldn't leak oil surely?

Bouncy bum, uneven tyre block wear, take them off and compress them by hand and see how fast they uncompress. (decompress?)

Back
Top Bottom