What is your job?

Associate
So what is your current job, your salary range (if you feel comfortable with this) - and what are you working towards?

I am considering job prospects as I am planning on whether or not to go to uni and thought that I'd make a thread on here to see what sort of jobs other people have that may be of interest :p

Associate
OP
Ambulance Service Emergency Call Taker Supervisor.

Pretty much what it says on the Tin, I look after a team of call takers that take emergency 999 calls from you guys, the public :)

NHS Band 5 - so £20,710 to £26,839

I think I read a thread a while back about your job. You have only recently had it am I right? Congratulations :)

(I may be completely wrong..)

Associate
OP
I was looking at Air Traffic Controlling or Quantity Surveying and Commercial Management - wouldn't know how to go about ATC, and not sure if I'd enjoy QS.

With University creeping up, selected uni's as Loughborough and Coventry and no current sponsor for my Loughborough QS course.. looks like a gap year and some serious career thinking for me.. :(

I enjoy working with cars, but wouldn't want to be a full time mechanic - too cold and the pay isn't that good. Love working with computers but don't want to be sat at a desk all day (the same with any job I aim for) and obviously.. looking for job security, good extra benefits such as pension schemes and possible company car. Originally wanted to be an electrician but I am slightly colourblind (red/brown/green).

Anything?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There are plenty of electronics and computers in cars nowadays. Do a decent uni course on embedded computing/electrical engineering/real time computing and get looking.

I've met people who work on the ECU systems for rally cars, travel the world with the WRC team (maybe not anymore the WRC basically doesnt exist!) but it sounded great. Its something I'm certainly considering getting into after uni, along with the usual financial/military sector type stuff.

A good degree in CompSci or even better various Engineering (MechEng/ElecEng/CompEng whatever) can get you anywhere.

That's the sort of thing I would like to be doing but unfortunately I am no braniac with maths (don't get me wrong, I am certainly not bad at it) and as a result I did not take Mathematics or a Science at A level and this is a must for most degrees of this kind :(

Back
Top Bottom