what is your must have niche software?

Associate
I’m looking for new software for my operating system that is lesser known about. (Things other than CCleaner etc).

I’ll start off with Everything. A file management system that allows for much quicker searches for particular folders/files by indexing them to your drive allowing users to find particular files much faster as opposed to using file explorers search bar which is horrendously slow.

Would love to hear some more from you guys.

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone knows about 7+ Taskbar Tweaker that fixes some of the backwards decision made by MS, i guess. If not...

Other than that it would be T-Clock to add a feature that should be part of even the most basic Operating Systems, a clock that allows some customisation to its display.

Associate
OP
Everyone knows about 7+ Taskbar Tweaker that fixes some of the backwards decision made by MS, i guess. If not...

Other than that it would be T-Clock to add a feature that should be part of even the most basic Operating Systems, a clock that allows some customisation to its display.

Thanks for the recommendations. Never heard of either of those personally but 7+ taskbar tweaker looks like something I’m definitely interested in.

Another I’ll add is Taskbar Seperator which allows users to add separators to their taskbar for better organisation of their pinned programmes/files. It takes up virtually no space on ones drive by the way in which it works. Definitely worth checking out for those who like having things organised like myself!

Soldato
I use explorer patcher to make Windows 11 look like Windows 10 and gives me back some of the features MS changed or removed.

Don
Paint.net
This and Notepad++ are probably two of my most used programs, regardless of whatever other "bigger" apps are available.

Paint.net will do probably 90% of what photoshop will do, without needing more than 5 minutes of effort.

Notepad++ is ideal for copy/pasting snippets of code from my main programming environment before making major changes, and useful for quick and dirty analysis of log files and the like with it's extensive search functions

Associate
GhostBuster is a handy tool I've been using for a few years to remove left over stuff from the device manager especially if upgrading a motherboard on the same Windows install which leaves a lot of stuff left over. Does the same thing as right clicking and removing in device manager but the tool allows you to remove all disconnected devices in bulk.

GhostBuster Portable

Soldato
I also use some of the tools mentioned above. There are a few others I normally will install.

Gadwin Printscreen - I know there are a ton of screenshot tools, but I've always found this one great. Easy to set target folders and hotkeys. If I'm on any training course I'll use this to capture notes I can check later.
SoftPerfect NetWorx (specifically Version 5.5.5) - Use this to let me glance at taskbar for internet usage/rates from my PC. There are newer versions but this was their last Freeware version I think.
Winamp v5.666 - I've tried other and newer players but keep coming back to Winamp

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure if it's really niche any more, but Microsoft PowerToys is absolutely essential these days, so useful (especially FancyZones, Mouse Without Borders, Advanced Paste features).

I'd also recommend running Chris Titus's Utility to clean up some of the default features on a fresh install too.

Back
Top Bottom