what is your must have niche software?

Some real good ones in here, ones that i even forgot about since i got forced off Win7. Windows 10 really helped oppress my want to poweruse Windows, and not the way the way they wanted me to.

7zip hasn't been mentioned and is real handy.
MPC BE. Media player that just works.
There was a playlist creator that worked with MPC-HC, but forgot about it as haven't used it in ages.
dbpoweramp i used to use, but i just haven't bought many CDs in a while. Mp3tag was also handy.
Joy2key. Purchased also, and good keyboard emulator for gamepads. IIRC i played through Stalker with this without the need for the keyboard! 32 button configs...

Those PDF readers mentioned are good for creating notes on. But not needed it for ages. Same with ifranview and notepad++ sadly.

Amazing how poor in comparison the commercial software is compared to some smaller projects.

Much prefer Winrar to 7zip, although it is a paid for app after the trial it is nagware rather than blocking any functionality

Another vote for Irfanview and Notepad++ have been using both for years.

I've been using both Winrar and 7zip on some work machines. I only recently seemed to findout that Winrar appears to allow you to browse through the archive without extracting to a temp folder. Whereas 7zip needs to extract anything/everything if you open up a compressed file within the file.

I'd still take 7zip over it just due to the freeware aspect rather than the shareware that is WinRAR.

Another good utility is Binisoft (Malware Bytes bought them for a while, not sure if this is still the case) Windows Firewall Control. It basically pops up with anything trying to access the internet (if you enable notifications and change it to Medium Filtering profile) that way you can be quite selective. It used Windows Firewall in the background but it gives you more control and you can see live traffic with blocks, etc. in there.

M.

Hope no one takes it the wrong way, it's not a criticism, but one thin I've learnt from this thread is some people have very different definitions of niche. :)

I prefer WizTree over Treesize, as it is much faster.
Same. I used to run SpaceSniffer but it hasn't been updated in ages. I tried Treesize and it was OK but found WizTree and that's what I have on my computer now.

Notepad++ and Paint.net have already been mentioned as has 7-Zip. I also use IrfanView for when I need to bulk resize images for archinving. Putty for remoting into my Pi-Hole and NAS device to check for updates etc.

Gs Richcopy 360 for data migration between clouds
VLC Media Player for running my audio and video files , it is the best
Chrome for browsing internet
MP3tag for renaming files in bulk

JRiver Media Center.

Not ever found anything else that'll handle a sensible sized mixed media library. (~600,000 files at the minute)

Not the prettiest thing, but it's been a staple on my machines for 20 odd years.

Has anybody found any software similar to SUMo yet? I'm still looking for something which will scan a USB drive for software and check for available updates. SUMo did this more or less perfectly and I've yet to find a suitable replacement.

Last edited:
Image Resizer

Right click an image and press resize and it's done... Even highlight loads of images and resize them pretty much instantly.
I've been using it since 2.1 back in 2009 and can't use my PC without it

Back
Top Bottom